Will you renew your Disney+ subscription?

What value are you getting from your Disney+ subscription?

I watched The Imagineering Story and thought it was one of the best — maybe the best — documentaries I’ve ever seen.

I watched The Mandelorian and quite liked it. Season 2 is now available but I haven’t yet started to watch it. So, I’m not that into it.

Oh, and I saw Hamilton. That was excellent, obviously.

But I think that’s it. So I’m thinking of not renewing.

Are you? Why? What are you watching? What am I missing out on?

1 Like

I’m digging the nature documentaries, plus the various behind the scenes and the movie prop history shows.

I think after the Mandalorian season 2 is done I’ll turn off the subscription and toggle it on for a month at a time once in awhile to catch up. (I do the same with Netflix.)

3 Likes

Everyone will be different but I’m loving my subscription. At $3/month with the deal I got, it’s a steal, but I’d still take it at full price or more. I use it more than Netflix, which costs me $17/month (ok now I’m wondering why I’m still paying for that … oh, yeah - the Crown).

Here are some of my favorite shows on Disney+:

• The Mandalorian (worth subscription alone IMO)
  • Clone Wars
  • The Right Stuff
  • Animal Kingdom Documentary
  • Clouds (I bawled so hard)
  • Star Girl
  • HSM:TM:TS
  • Old Disney Channel Original Movies
  • Disney classics catalogue
  • Pixar catalogue
  • Imagineering Story
  • One Day at Disney
  • The Simpsons
  • The Disney Gallery - Making of the Mandalorian
  • Into the Unknown: Making of Frozen II
  • Howard (Howard Ashman documentary)
  • Prop Culture
  • Disney Insider
  • Diary of a Future President
  • Timmy Failure
  • Togo
  • Lady and the Tramp
  • Noelle

I enjoy all of these to varying degrees. My kids watch the Disney Channel and Disney Jr shows ad nauseam.

I’m also really looking forward to the new Star Wars shows (Cassian Andor, Obi-Wan, more rumored), and Marvel (WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier).

4 Likes

We are renewing. I like the National Geographic stuff. Yes, I like the Gordon Ramsey show. He’s not mean in that one and it’s interesting to see other countries and their food.

Loved Imagineering Story. Others in my family like Mandalorian.

My only beef with Disney + is that I can only watch it on my ipad or on one TV where Apple TV is hooked up. If my cable company had an app to watch it through one of the other TVs, I’d be much happier. (someone else always gets the main TV first). I don’t want to have to buy multiple streaming devices, when I’m paying for cable, as well.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s an easy decision for us.

Something for everyone in our family. I do wish they had more original shows by now, but we fine something there more than netflix anymore. The nature stuff has been a pleasant surprise.

We are into Avengers and Star Wars, so always something we can rewatch there. Just watched Sorcerer’s Apprentice this weekend and it was a lot better than I would have guessed.

We renewed ours. I’ve been watching the new Animal Kingdom documentary. I love the original content. My husband and oldest son are watching the Mandalorian. Our kids prefer the content on Disney+ to Netflix and Disney+ is about half the cost. I rarely use Netflix.

Yep, pretty much all of this. Thanks for doing the work for me @Jeff_AZ. :smile: Kids are starting to outgrow Disney movies a bit (not as “cool” at their age now) but DW and I find plenty, both old and new, to make it worth the cost.

2 Likes

We have a roku device on each TV in the house to access all apps. One time purchase fee for it. We access Amz prime, Hulu, D+, Netflix. There’s more available

1 Like

Well, I paid for it for three years, so I won’t need to make a decision for a little under 2 years from now. However, I have loved having access to some of the movies that I only have on VHS. I like being able to stream on any of my devices, which is easier than trying to find on our shelves.

I seriously loved the AK documentary. It’s worth it to me just to have access. Some of my favorites have been the imagineering series and anything that has to do with the parks, Pixar in Real Life was a hoot. I’m really looking forward to the Loki series and the other two Marvel series coming out.

I’m really hoping that they will decide to put the upcoming theatrical Marvel movies on Premiere Access. I would gladly pay to watch them in our home theatre.

There have been some great things to watch, too, that I’ve probably forgotten: Togo, Star Girl, and some others.

1 Like

I just have to call this one out specifically. It’s probably my favorite offering outside Star Wars so far. So good - a happy, feel good movie but packs an emotional punch. If anyone is looking for a family movie to watch, give it a try.

What about using amazon fire or google chrome??

2 Likes

You can watch Disney+ on any device that can either download an app (Roku, AppleTV, plus any smart TV) or that can “cast” from your phone (Chromecast, etc.). To do the latter you just need the Disney+ app on your phone and then cast it to your device.

Yeah, I know. I just didn’t really want to spend the money. Also, it means I have to get an HDMI splitter, since I don’t have room on my TV for another device. Like I said, one TV has the Apple TV device, it’s just that’s the family TV and during the pandemic, well, there are either others in my family that are watching something or someone’s trying to work/do a class in that area.

Now I don’t usually like the phrase “first world problems”, as it’s bandied around far too much in an attempt to belittle the complainer, but this problem… my casting problem… really is a “first world problem”, lol!

1 Like

We’ll renew just for the films even though I own most of them. I loved The Imagineering Story and we’re watching season 2 of The Mandalorian. I watch a lot of the documentaries - not the animal ones - and the reality show type like the weddings one. I haven’t watched Hamilton yet.

I did already renew! I watch a lot of things on it

I don’t watch disney+ that much. I don’t watch a lot of TV, honestly. But because I already have Hulu, it’s only a few dollars more and my youngest uses it on his tablet, so I’ll be keeping it.
I do actually like that Gordon Ramsay show on Nat Geo.

I am thinking of doing that with all our TV subscriptions. We tend to watch one show at a time, and we don’t watch all that much TV, so they last awhile. We have one show we watch a family, and one show when it is just DH and I. That is it.

One thing that annoyed me with Disney is that they offered Hulu bundled with the monthly and not the annual. We’d had Hulu beforehand, then got the Disney trial period that was bundled, then switched to the annual special price. Then Hulu went away!

We got 3 months of, I think, the NBC subscription service with our Universal Annual Passes. Need to check that out.

1 Like

I wish they would do more with The Imagineering Story. I would love a behind the scenes show on rides. For instance, how about one episode that just talks about Space Mountain and the different variations and what makes them different. Could do the same with the versions of Haunted Mansion.

4 Likes

You sound like me… My older kids watch a ton of TV, but it’s mostly anime and serial killer documentaries. (I swear, we’re normal… Mostly.)
My husband and i watch Rifftrax, which we have a subscription for.
I watch a few shows that are bulk drops every year or so - Handmaid’s Tale, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Dark (a German netflix show.)
I watch them in bulk, then when I finish the season I don’t watch anything for months.

1 Like

Yes.

9 Likes