Wild Africa Trek: A Review In Words and Pictures

Hi everyone!

Each trip our family tries to enjoy one “Magical Extra”, and this time we chose the Wild Africa Trek in Animal Kingdom. I thought others might be interested to know how the experience was for their own planning purposes. What follows is my personal review on our experience on this tour.

We selected the first tour of the day, which started at 0800, in large part because this was our last day on property and we wanted to ensure full ability to enjoy it without worrying about timelines around our departure. It also occurred to us that, it being late April, it might be wise to do it earlier rather than later so as to enjoy more moderate temperatures.

To give a very broad overview, this tour is “an active, approximately 3-hour privately guided expedition into the world of African wildlife. This trek is an outdoor journey requiring physical stamina and comfort with heights.” It involves walking - I would call it a light hike - riding in a special safari vehicle, different than the ones in Kilimanjaro Safaris, and enjoying a light meal in an open-air cabana-type accommodation overlooking the savanna.

As with many of the Magical Extras, this tour does not populate to My Disney Experience so I made personal note of the confirmation number at the time of making the reservation. However, one week prior to our tour date - which just so happened to be our check-in date - I received an email from the “WDW DAK WAT Help Desk” both confirming our reservation and providing further instructions around proper attire for the tour, requirements for participation, checking in, what to bring (and what not to bring!), as well as instructions around how to notify the team about any dietary restrictions.

We were staying at Polynesian Village Resort on this trip, and given that we needed to arrive no later than 0730 to check in, we utilized a Lyft to arrive at the front gates of Animal Kingdom. Our guides, Steve and Olivia, presented themselves to us at 0745 and got us all checked in. It was an 0800 EMH opening and so we entered at the same time as the masses. I was a little concerned that we would become separated in the throng of people, but our guides expertly helped us make our way through the check points without losing any of us.

Steve stopped us in Harambe and offered the group one last chance to use the restrooms, explaining that the next opportunity would be in about two hours. It was pretty awesome to be in an empty Harambe:

We made our way to the entrance of Kilimanjaro Safaris where just to the left is the locker area for WAT. We were instructed that absolutely everything must come out of our pockets, including any and all paper, and that nothing would be allowed to come with us that could not be secured to our safety harness. This included our magic bands, though personal watches were allowed. Complimentary lockers were provided for all of our belongings that could not come with us. We were then asked to step on the scale, to both verify that we met the weight restrictions for the tour and to ensure we were fitted with the most appropriately sized safety harness. I was impressed with the discretion observed here, for those worried about any disclosure of their weight.

Each individual was sent with a guide who fitted the harness appropriately. We were given souvenir water bottles that attached to the safety harness, and those whose phone cases allowed were provided with a strap that attached the phone to the harness as well. Straps were also provided to secure sunglasses, though none were given to me for my prescription lenses presumably because they were not coming off my face.

I should mention, too, that we had been informed at the start of the trek that both guides would be snapping photos throughout the journey, both posed and candids, of us and of the wildlife. So if your phone case does not allow for being attached to your harness, as my husband’s, you should be reassured that you will have PLENTY of photos of the experience. Our guides took nearly 200 of our group, and we were given access and permission to use about 50 additional photos that are in the WAT gallery.

Once we were all fitted, we set out on our journey with the first stop being at the hippo pool. Here we were met by animal keeper Emily who talked to us at length about her role in caring for the hippos, hippo behavior and facts, and about Gus (Augustus) the hippo baby born about 4 months ago.

We made our way next to the suspension bridges where each person took a turn making their way across with their safety harness hooked in to ensure nobody would fall into the crocodile pit :open_mouth: This tour does warn that those with fear of heights may not find this tour suitable, but my husband has a terrible fear of heights such that he won’t even stand near windows in very tall buildings and he did not struggle at all. He did say that the anticipation of it was anxiety provoking but that once there he was so distracted by everything around him that he didn’t even think about the height thing.

(that’s my height averse husband right there!)

We spent a few minutes here waiting for each person to cross. Nobody was asked to hurry, and nobody was made to feel rushed. Each person was encouraged to go at their own pace, even stop and take photos if they liked, and to “get there when they get there”. It gave us some time to take a family shot and to check out the crocs up close.

There was a water refilling station here too.

Once each person was across, we hiked on to where we met our safari truck and our driver, Will. We relinquished our safety harnesses there before boarding the vehicle.

We made our way out onto the savanna where, unlike the Kilimanjaro Safari vehicles, our truck was able to stop here and there to get some up close animal sightings and some education along the way too. I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to enjoy KS quite the same again :wink:

It was a little more than halfway through the tour and time to enjoy a snack. We headed over to that cabana you see off in the distance when you’re on Kilimanjaro Safari. Our driver parked us right up close to the deck there and we disembarked. This is where the only restroom was available on the tour, and folks availed themselves of it while our guides distributed our meals. We were encouraged to partake of the killer view and to take as many pictures as we liked. There were binoculars available at each table for getting a closer look if you cared to.

Our light meal was served in tiffins which is a sort of lunch box similar to the bento box, and which is also the name of the signature restaurant in Animal Kingdom! I now need a tiffin.

In the top part of the tiffin was some fruit yogurt topped with granola, a fruit salad, and some soft cheeses and apricots. A bamboo spoon was also provided. I now need a bamboo spoon.

In the bottom part of the tiffin was a salmon roulade with a vegetable slaw, some cured meats, three small pitas, and a sweet snack made of, I think, dates and figs with nuts. This was all served with jungle juice, with which you may be familiar with if you’ve eaten at Tusker House or Boma. Everything was delicious. Even my picky eaters enjoyed a little of everything and got brave enough to try some things. My husband LOVED the salmon roulade ---- he doesn’t eat fish! :laughing:

We spent about 20ish minutes there in the dining location. Steve and Olivia were happy to answer questions and take plenty of photos.

When we had finished eating, we went back out on the truck to see one more savanna up close.

And then it was time to return to where we started from.

If you can’t tell from the photos, this tour was AMAZING! It was, by far, one of the coolest things I’ve ever been fortunate to do on a vacation - not just at Disney but anywhere. Our guides were so kind and knowledgeable, just really phenomenal ambassadors for the park. They took an interest in each and every one of us and got to know us a little, and we got to know them too. Olivia talked with me at length about her experience in becoming an employee of Disney, through her experience in College Program. And they praised my son quite enthusiastically for doing so well with the bridges; at 10 he just about meets the minimum age requirement, and some of those slats were spaced fairly widely apart for me! They taught us a lot about what they do, about Animal Kingdom and its mission, about what it means to be an accredited zoo, about animal care and conservation efforts. And they kept checking in to make sure we were having the experience we wanted. In fact, they started off the tour by asking us if there was a particular animal we hoped to see and said they would try their best to make sure we saw them all - and we did! Our meal was delicious and so graciously prepared and served. And the photos they took will help us to forever document this special experience.

At three hours, this tour was just the right length. While I was sad for the experience to come to an end, as one is with all great experiences, it also felt like it was time for it to draw to its close. It allowed us plenty of time to do a lot more in Animal Kingdom before it was time for us to leave. But I really do worry that it really has spoiled us for the typical Kilimanjaro Safari experience! :wink:

Oh, and as to the first tour of the day: it was a wise decision! Temperatures did in fact remain low throughout our time, and it was getting hot by the time we returned. It is nice that much of the tour is in the shade of vegetation, in the truck, and in the cabana. So one does not have to worry much in the way of becoming sunburned or overheated. And with the water bottles provided at the start of the trip and refilling options twice along the way, one would have no trouble remaining hydrated.

This tour is not inexpensive, ranging from $189-$249 per person depending on the date you go. But given that we had such an up close experience, a light meal, AND that a portion of the cost of the tour is donated to conservation efforts, we felt it was a good value. We would gladly spend that again on this tour, and I would encourage anyone interested to go ahead and do the same. You will not be disappointed!

I hope you enjoyed this review of our Wild Africa Trek! Please let me know if you have any questions; I am more than happy to answer!


My apologies about the sideways pictures. They are not that way on my computer, and I can’t figure out how to undo them. Hopefully you don’t mind craning your neck. Or if you do, hopefully there are enough landscape-oriented photos for you to enjoy just the same :wink:

Thanks for reading!

Either you fixed them or it’s browser dependent - none of the pics are sideways on my display via Chrome.

Thanks for sharing…


Thanks for the review! It’s something I’ve always wanted to do with DS and he’s at the perfect age now (he’ll be 10 in September). I was a little worried about the physical requirements, but based on the pictures and your description, I think I’ll be fine (I am fine walking about, but can’t climb much of anything - stupid leg braces make that rather difficult - but if the bridge is the worst of it, that is more than doable!).

1 Like

Awesome review! Thank you for sharing! I have a long way to wait until my kids are older, but maybe an adults only trip will be in order! (Save some $$)

I’m surprised they let you keep the hats on if they were concerned about stuff falling off! Go Sox!

1 Like

I was a little surprised about the hats, myself. I had to leave my ears in the locker.

Great review and great hat your DH is wearing! Go Sox!

1 Like

Thank you for such a detailed review. Looks like such a great tour.

1 Like

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. As you know, thanks to you I’ve booked the tour myself. I’m taking the 1.15pm tour because it fits my schedule better, but I feel reassured by what you had to say about shade and hydration.

I get quite emotional looking at animals and I can imagine being moved to tears at getting close to them on this tour.

1 Like

Great review! DH and I want to do this in November.

1 Like

Yeah this was definitely one of those times. I had a lump in my throat so many times. Look out at the end when you get to place a rock in the bin to select which animal population your funds will go to supporting. I’m tearing up now just remembering… :heart:


Those of us who use chat are quite used to Niter’s sideways pictures. No worries. Besides you pics were not sideways.

Love the report. Now I want to consider doing this.

Lots of good pictures and details. Well Done.


Wow! Thanks so much for the great review!

1 Like

Thank you for you post, it is such a joy to see your family with all their smiles. Looks like they had the time of their lives. You might have pushed Profmatt into doing this tour but you pushed me into not doing it: fear of heights and bridges would have left me stuck frozen in place, my weight and disability would also be another factor. So thank you for bringing us with you, thank God I did not have to physically go through it my self.
Side note its funny that a guy who is afraid of bridges lives on an Island.


Wow! Thanks for the awesome review! I hope that I can go on this tour someday!

1 Like

That’s a tough one! Do you never leave the island?!

Wonderful pictures! Enjoyed reading about your experience - thanks for taking the time!

1 Like

Yes I can be driven over with out any real problem and after I drive over a bridge once or twice I’m ok but don’t ask me to walk over one or even get out of the car and stand on one. I am thankful for cruise control I can set it so I can focus on just my lane the first one or two times then I’m fine.

1 Like

Looks awesome! Thanks for the review and photos!

1 Like


My family got me a tiffin for Mother’s Day!!!