Why do New Jersey moms come to Disney World to yell at their children in public?

this is me :roll_eyes:

Iā€™m ok with missing things on my plans because my family doesnā€™t stay on schedule. What gets me is when family members delay in getting out the door in the morning (or at the end of an afternoon break) by the time I planned for, but then complain that we didnā€™t get to do this or that.

We are planning on meeting DWā€™s family in WDW in October (4 families and 13 people total). Other than DW and my kids, no one has been to WDW since the mid-90s. 2 of the families like to sleep in and tend to have no sense of time on vacationā€¦ this will be a challenge.

8 Likes

I had a meltdown this past august doing the Remy scavenger hunt with DD6. She wanted to find them and I kept trying to give her hints and she started crying and getting upset with me for trying to help her. Finally in mexico, I had to pull her aside and tell her we werenā€™t playing anymore because she was being mean to me. After about two more countries she finally got a better attitudeā€¦

2 Likes

I will admit to having meltdowns in regular life. One day my son called my husband sobbing- he thought I left him at our school (I did not) my husband thought he was saying I diedā€¦

I loved Disney because it was magic. When we got into my car to drive to the airport, TinkerBell would sprinkle pixie dust- my sullen, angry, 15-18 year old would disappear and my son would start talking and smiling. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

21 Likes

I have spent time on benches watching tired parents from all over go off on their kids, parents, and significant others and it can be very funny to watch. A favorite was a parent who came back to find that grandma had handed 3 year old a Mickey ice cream. Said three year old had done the time honored job of spreading Mickey all over his face. Mom want ballistic. This went on for about 5 or 10 minutes. Screaming at each other while the child proceeded to smear chocolate and ice cream from face to all over, not concerned at all that the adults were screaming at each other. From a safe distance, I enjoyed the ā€œshowā€. I wondered why mom didnā€™t just hand kid to grandma and say the bathroom is over there, you made it, you fix it. Single, need to stop for a moment but want entertainment, find a place around 2:00 to just sit and watch and listen. It can be really funny when you are outside looking in. Naps folks, everyone needs a nap.

11 Likes

I have not made it a secret that I once got into a shouting match with my mother in law in Tomorrow Land over fastpasses on the speedway! I still to this day have no idea why she was so passionate about not going on them with her grandchildren. But I do know this- for months leading up to that trip, I asked her repeatedly what she would like to ride with the kids, and repeatedly she told me she didnā€™t care, and just get her some fastpasses for something the kids would enjoy. The idea was that the kids would ride the speedway with their grandparents while DH and I hit Space Mountain. FIL came down ill that morning with food poisoning or some such tummy upset, and sat out but told us to go on. The kids wanted to do the speedway but I did not want to do the 60 minute line! I was like this is crazy, we have two adult fastpasses and two kid fastpasses, can we just go and explain this to the cast member? But she thought doing so would invalidate the unused park ticket of my FIL (still sitting in MDE unused) and somehow the rest of her tickets??? I was also upset that she had been on her phone most of the day. We were probably one of those entertaining families you speak of because it was crazy. And I never want to go to that emotional place again! We did end up talking to a castmember, who gave DH and me the necessary fastpass to ride it with the kids, and MIL sat with then DD1- no oneā€™s tickets were invalidated and now I know not to get her a FP for tomorrowland speedway again! Maybe weā€™ll try Itā€™s a Small World next time :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face: But yeah, it was around 2:00, and we all certainly needed a nap!!!

7 Likes

My first trip to WDW was with my then 12 yo sonā€¦ by ourselves. What in the hen was I thinking? He acted like all the fun stuff was beneath him (but then Iā€™d catch him enjoying himself). We didnā€™t get the full Disney experience because he was too full of 12 yo boy machismo! But now heā€™s grown (a Marine and still full of machismoā€¦haha!) and has decided he wants to take ME to WDW and have a do-over. I canā€™t wait for that trip to happen. :smile:

21 Likes

Well, thatā€™s pretty cool he wants a do-over! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve mentioned it here before on one of my forum posts somewhere, but I think the most remembered people watching our family had was when arriving for a morning FPP at 7DMT.

The FPP line was a bit congested and we trudged slowly up to the tap when a family of several a few ahead of us stopped and started having a discussion with the CM.

Their littlest boy had tapped in, whoosh.
When the next people tried bong no FPP.

After several minutes of wrangling with the CM it was determined that the wife had booked ONE FastPass, thinking that it covered the whole family.

When the CM told them they only had the one, the Dad, in a loud, frustrated, British tone slowly turned to his wife and yelled ā€œFOR CHR*STā€™S SAKE CHELSEA!!!ā€

The CM finally had them step off to the side and those of us waiting passed in silence, we were all a bit mortified for Chelsea. Then about half way through the snaking line in to the ride one of us started giggling, then we all lost it.

Nicely, we looked back a few minutes later and saw the family in line - the CM had pixie dusted them.

To this day when something frustrating happens my family yells at Chelsea.

21 Likes

And that is sometimes true like with boarding passes and virtual lines.

1 Like

Our family would TOTALLY adopt that as well. LOL

6 Likes

When I read British, I heard the yell in Fenton.

And then I had to watch it again. Fenton!! Fenton!! Fenton!! Oh Jesus Christ!!! - YouTube

3 Likes

Reminds me of something our family witnessed. It was in MK and we were waiting in line for Dole Whips. We saw a young couple arguing nearby and they were getting louder. The guy then yelled ā€œonce again, you have decided that we only do what you want to do!ā€ and then stomped off. We all looked at each other in surprise. For that whole trip, we were quoting that and still do to this day.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh I forgot about that video. :smile:

1 Like

OMGosh - the wives furious w/ husbands would be a frightening game! Iā€™m a single Mom, divorced by my choice (to protect kiddos & me). It actually makes me sad to see people tearing each other apart over stupid stuff. It also makes me grateful to be a solo parent. :wink:

As for parents yelling at kids - I only get bothered by the really mean ones and weā€™ve seen some doozies. My ā€œfavoritesā€ are the moms yelling at kids to go get in a picture while the kid screams and cries. You know that will never be a good pic, right? I tell my kids that pictures are ā€œMom Taxā€ - they want a trip? The payment is compliance with ALL my photography requests. Ha. Itā€™s getting much funnier with teens & tweens.

Iā€™m not sure anyone makes it through any family vacation w/out frustration but Disney seems to escalate the drama. The combo of expense & unrealistic expectations?!? Sprinkled liberally with princess syndrome?!?

7 Likes

My wife will love this idea! The kids are resistant to her photo efforts.

1 Like

Weā€™ve never started yelling, but the girls had one complete meltdown when they were like 5 and 3. Upon arrival, we went shopping on Main Street while DH went somewhere (FP? A ride? I canā€™t remember). I let the girls buy those Disney Dolls they had back then (American Girl sized). Everyone was in a great mood. Then I asked the clerk to have them sent to our room.

We start walking around Main Street, waiting for daddy and one of them asks where the dolls were. Chipper Me explains they will be waiting in the room for us and this way we donā€™t have to hold them on rides. I didnā€™t see it coming. They hadnā€™t before and never since had melted down. Holy sh*t they fell apart. Unbelievable screaming. Flailing bodies on the sidewalk. At one point I had to step slightly away from them and quietly wondered aloud why we donā€™t eat our young like other species do. Several older mothers patted me on the back and commended me on not killing them. It lasted for-e-ver. By the time DH got back they had stopped but were all puffy eyes and red faces. Iā€™m sure I looked like I would murder him when he asked what happened.

16 Likes

When DD was 6 and oldest DS was 5, we took a trip to WDW with my parents. We were at HS, and at that time back in 2008, my DD was ALL about High School Musical. We were waiting on the afternoon High School Musical parade, and DD was so excited she was actually bouncing up and down. Well, as soon as the floats came into view, she realized the people on them were not the ā€œrealā€ Troy, Gabriella, etc. Holy cow she had a fit, and if looks could kill, the daggers she threw my way should have had me lying flat out on the sidewalk! She stomped off, DH went after her, and my parents thought the whole ā€œshowā€ was quite funny-after all, this was MY child and their precious granddaughter throwing the fit for me and DH to deal with! DD finally calmed down but was rather soured on high school musical after that!

6 Likes

Mine just turned 12.

Side note: You just identified who almost slept outside a couple of nights ago!

4 Likes

: furiously taking notes :

3 Likes