Why can I book a room my TA says is unavailable?

Yeah, that sounds more like me!!

1 Like

I sent her an email letting her know that I was able to make the reservations and asking what she meant when she said it wasn’t a cost effective choice - because the room was more expensive, or because it would affect the rate of my original room.

1 Like

I just got off the phone with my TA. She was genuinely surprised I was able to book the club rooms. And she explained why she said it wasn’t cost effective. She says the discount park tickets are only available to start the same day as my booking for an agency exclusive rate. Since my club stay starts on 11/27 and my agency stay starts on 11/30, I would need to get my own tickets for the 28th and 29th. I haven’t done the math yet, but she’s saying it would cost more to do my own 2 day tickets and the rest with the discount ticket vs just doing my own tickets. She may be right. But I just don’t understand why, even if I move the reservation to her (or, apparently, even if she had been the one to book it), they can’t put the start date on the tickets as the 28th. According to the convention ticket thread, convention tickets don’t have an actual start date anyway. Anyone else been in this situation?

I have never been in this situation, but why not cancel the tickets through her, and just buy them from Undercover Tourist? They are a great discounter, I have used them many times. They are easy to link, and then you don’t have to deal with their weird policy. I bet if you compare to UCT, the price is about the same.

3 Likes

you’re gooooood

3 Likes

It’s actually a difference of just over $500.

According to this:

I can just get the tickets myself for the convention price, but there is some risk involved.

1 Like

I see. That is a big price difference.

1 Like

I personally had a agent at MVT make some reservations for me but they didn’t turn out to be what I was hoping for. She emailed me two hours later telling me she was able to now secure the room type I was looking for. The surprise was that it all was at rack rates. No agency exclusive. Coming out here I find that this happened to many that are using MVT for their coming vacations. My agent was nice enough to explain to me that the agency exclusives were not out yet but when and IF they come out, she will change my reservation prices accordingly. I guess the Star Wars thing has really screwed up the Disney discounts. Disney is betting on the money and I own Disney stock. If you can’t get a break one way go for another. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Those companies that do agency exclusives - they only get certain rooms and a certain number of those rooms. That is probably what @kerrilux_625778 is encountering here. While what she wants is available in general inventory, it is NOT available in the inventory they have.

3 Likes

Yes this is true although it kind of worked in reverse for me. I was looking for just a Standard classified room at POR and at first she could only get me a Garden view with a 5th sleeper for a little more. Two hours later she got me my Standard view. On looking on the Disney site there was no Standard views available for my dates. Things change in an instant. Now the question will be, can I keep this room type when and IF I get an Agency Exclusive and for what dates. Wait and see with everyone else that is using MVT.

1 Like

Do they ever have agency exclusives for club level? When she gave me my original quote it seemed like only standard rooms were included.

I have booked Poly CL through a MVT exclusive. It was a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

When my TA quoted my dates she only gave me one rate for each of the available resorts (all standard view rates). I just assumed that was all they offered.

You might also want to be sure to keep your eye on general public discounts and AP discounts that might show up for your preferred room type. I think most good TAs certainly keep up with these discounts, but I did see someone over at the DIS whose TA did not jump on a one in a timely manner and then the room was gone. I don’t think it was MVT, though. I’m almost sure it wasn’t. Anyway, no one is more hypervigilant than you are since it’s your money at stake!

A TA knows how to talk to a TA!

They do, but not always where/when you want it to be. I did start out asking a couple of TAs but wanted a specific resort and room type. Pixie Dust & Pirate Hooks shows exactly what they have on their website (which includes some club level on some dates); MVT shows the resorts but you need to email them for the specifics. At the time I was looking for my room, once I heard back from MVT it seemed like they had the same inventory.

2 Likes

It really depends on what Disney offers them.

And from what I’ve heard, agency exclusives have been getting the squeeze. I’ve seen posts about fewer deals and less impressive ones.

2 Likes

I guess I’m going to go ahead and give the benefit of the doubt and assume there really were only standard rooms in the offer :slight_smile:

But back to this…

If I’m asking for something that is not an agency exclusive, shouldn’t she have access to the same inventory that I do?

This year so far, agency exclusives have NOT come out. Booking via MVT you get rack rates until any exclusives come out. Therefore I know they can get you anything you want if available if it is NOT a agency exclusive as of now. I also believe that if rates change or a discount is advertised by Disney such as 20% off rooms during a selection time my agent said she would watch and adjust my vacation accordingly. Nothing is guaranteed, but I can always cancel if the rack rate doesn’t change and you can bet I will if need be. :thinking:

1 Like

That’s for next year, right? I’m going at Thanksgiving and they do have agency exclusives for that time. My issue isn’t with rates, it’s with me seeing something as available and her telling me it’s not. So I booked it myself.

2 Likes

Yes, Next years exclusives. Sorry about that. I have exclusives myself in Oct. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I suppose she maybe should as a TA but I don’t know what the rules of her agency are. Perhaps they are only allowed to deal in exclusives?? IDK.

1 Like