Why aren’t you going to WDW this year?

This poll is anonymous. You may select more than one option.

• COVID has affected my finances
  • I’m not allowed to travel to Florida
  • I would have to quarantine on my return
  • I’m scared to travel because of COVID
  • I’m scared of being in a theme park during COVID
  • The reduced offering is unacceptable to me
  • I am going to WDW this year
  • I am going to WDW next year
  • I’m waiting till things return to normal
  • I was never planning to go this year

0 voters

I was never planning to go this year because I was planning to have a baby this year. Happily, I am pregnant with said baby and due around Halloween. Sadly, because I refuse to go to WDW while pregnant because I don’t want to be there and not be able to go on all the rides I want to and drink all the drinks, I’m missing out on these low crowds! If I weren’t pregnant, I’d be there in a heartbeat.

12 Likes

You need another option ‘Already have been this year’

5 Likes

I was supposed to go in August but cancelled because of the quarantine when I return. My son has a trip in mid December and asked I I wanted to crash in his room. I am tentatively going pending the virus debacle

2 Likes

I think if I change the poll it resets the votes. But the answer “I am going” kinda covers it. Well, maybe not. There’s a difference between going in January and going in August.

2 Likes

Haha forgot I actually went in January… so changed my answer to “I am going this year” … that trip feels like forever ago.

2 Likes

I said I am not allowed to travel to FL and I am going next year. I don’t know that I can actually say I am going next year because my work has said I should not be planning on going next April.

Beyond that, as someone that manages both heart and lung diseases, Covid terrifies me.

5 Likes

“Scared” isn’t quite right.

I’m not afraid for my family, but I think it’s irresponsible to travel for pleasure during an uncontrolled pandemic.

9 Likes

I would have to quarantine 14 days upon reaching Florida. I would also need to quarantine 14 days upon returning to New York State.

2 Likes

“Scared” is not quite the right option. I would say I am scared to get on a plane right now (west coaster, family a six hour flight away as is WDW). I would do it for certain things but not a pleasure trip as it would not be pleasurable to me.

I am not scared to be in the parks as they look now. But even if I were driving distance I probably wouldn’t go. All our decisions nowadays are a cost(risk)/benefit analysis and a WDW trip right now does not make the cut for us in that regard.

FWIW we generally hit DLR or WDW or both once a year. I am a former short-term WDW cast member. I also got diagnosed with pneumonia in late February and still don’t feel right so suspect I may be a long hauler or at the least have been having my most unhealthy year ever. So that makes me more risk averse with covid now (both for my own condition and my family’s). I am also lucky in that there is plenty of stuff to do where I live that entertains me and my family enough. I just really miss my extended family — the plane fear (of what we might catch especially far from home and what we might pass on to very elderly family) is the only fear really stopping me from something I want badly and am not sure I can wait a long time for. So I might have to just swallow that fear at some point. But I’m not going to swallow it for vacation as I can vacation closer by if I really want to.

This is just my personal calculus. I also know I am the type to double my trips to WDW later to make up for this time so I’m okay with this trade off :slight_smile: I do enjoy reading everyone else’s reports and respect that everyone’s cost/benefit is different, as well as I think the economic and public health aspects can both be community minded goals and it’s hard to serve both perfectly at the same time though we can all do our best to contribute what we can.

4 Likes

I voted I’m going next year, in May hopefully, but I’m also not going this year because my May 2020 trip was cancelled and I didn’t really want to deal with masks and reduced offerings in October. So it’s a mix of reasons.

1 Like

Since we just moved back to FL and have an AP I will be going this year. We did cancel DVC res in Sept cuz DH doesn’t feel safe in hotels. But from watching reports, seeing live streams, it appears the parks are less crowded than Sam’s Club this morning. Looking to do day trips… .after Isaias leaves of course.

4 Likes

The “scared to travel” is vague. I am scared to travel through an airport in Central Florida! Also the caveat if having an “at risk” family member to the reasons why.

My answers contradict each other. I am going this year, I have reservations, I hope to go in December, but at the moment I am afraid to travel to get there. But, I may going if there is amazing improvement over the next 3.5 months. I am going next year, that is if I don’t go this year, but I am afraid to travel at this moment.

2 Likes

Thinking about why I’d say scared for flights and not much else — I do believe you can’t control other people, only yourself. In the theme park this would largely be possible — or at least you wouldn’t be stuck somewhere with someone for more than what, 20 mins if you were deep in a line or queue? But in most instances, a person or group’s behavior making you uncomfortable, you can go elsewhere. The idea of not being able to go elsewhere on a plane for many hours is really a turnoff for me. Would it be ok? Probably. But I don’t like being at the mercy of so many strangers right now. It’s definitely not a vacation feeling. Other people might be able to relax in this environment more than I could. Or put it out of their mind upon arrival more than I could.

1 Like

I had plans to go in May 2020 and would have gone if it had been open. I rescheduled for May 2021 because I thought that was the best bet for our Disney cruise to be back in commission and to use the DVC rental credit that I have already paid for. If I had 100% known the parks would be open, I might have rescheduled for this summer or fall, but it wouldn’t have fit well with my work or kids’ school schedule. And it’s too far for us to make a quick trip of it - we need a solid week or two. If I lived in the Southeast I would be there in a flash on a weekend.

Since we live closer to Disneyland, I am planning to go there with my wife shortly after it reopens. We might even make two or three trips there in the next 6-9 months to make use of my AP.

4 Likes

But when will DLR open??? :sob:

1 Like

I am waiting on this as well. Well, this and a full recovery…

2 Likes

I like to imagine they are targeting Labor Day. They can’t keep it closed forever can they? Can they?! :cry:

2 Likes

Exactly this. Apparently one can’t evaluate one’s own risks and the risk to one’s family and consider that a trip to an amusement park doesn’t have a large enough upside to warrant that increased risk, one is “scared.” About as subtle as a bat to the face.

3 Likes