Why aren’t you going to WDW this year?

12 Likes

Speaking of family. What about the ones you can’t avoid or quarantine from? Like pets?

Oh good. We’re judging each other.

It’s very easy to be offended if you’re determined to be so.

I guess these forums are not the love-in they are frequently billed as being.

3 Likes

Not offended, not looking to be. Your choice of “scared” was unsubtle and leading.

Maybe I’m just achieving Old and have been online too long, but I’ve never found the Internets to be anodyne safe spaces, nor do I particularly want them to be.

1 Like

I believe you went in June.
Could it be everyone has a different metric of “uncontrolled”?

4 Likes

Looking at the results shows some interesting things… makes me wonder about more detailed demographics. I’m not asking for any, just thinking aloud… I know I’m not sharing any of my conclusions cuz guessing is just that and it’s only 28 ppl. This was a interesting poll, thanks @sanstitre_has_left_the_building !

2 Likes

Yes, I did. At the time I thought we were in a different place, that we’d figured out how to deal with it and could resume some activities, carefully, and be ok.

Now? Seeing what reopening has done? I regret going and contributing to the sense that theme park vacations are ok to justify. No, we didn’t get sick, but I won’t justify going, frankly it was stupid to travel cross country, even if the curve was flat at the time. I should have waited until health organizations indicated that leisure travel was ok to resume.

3 Likes

Kind of depressed, just cancelled our trip for the beginning of September due to the fact that we would need to quarantine on our return, which isn’t really feasible for us with work.

This is the third Disney trip that was cancelled/we had to cancel due to all of this, and I know, certainly in the grand scheme of things is just an inconvenience.
We were really looking forward to the low crowds, but we have another trip planned for November, so hoping for the best at least for now.

5 Likes

Are we really doing this? I guess we are.

The thread was inspired by a conversation I had yesterday. I’m still planning to come to Orlando in October if my flights are running and I’m planning on meeting at least one Liner. She’s organising a special day and I asked if a mutual friend of ours would also be coming as I’m keen to see her again. She said that the friend would not be coming because she as — and I quote — too scared to come to Florida. (She lives in a different state, obviously).

I had heard that the WDW parks were not crowded not because Disney was limiting numbers but because the numbers simply weren’t there. People are not coming.

So I started the poll.

You can choose to believe some grand conspiracy that the whole thing was designed to cause maximum distress to as many people as possible. Or you can climb off your high horse and see this as another example of cock-up vs. conspiracy.

7 Likes

Correlation does not imply causation. The trip reports posted on these forums suggest that Disney World is about the safest place in the US. Sure, there are some risks associated with travelling, but the second wave demonstrated by your graph has a lot more to do with people not wearing masks and failing to socially distance.

But sure, we can all boycott WDW if you like. If we do it won’t be there when we’re ready to go back. It will have gone bust, and all the people who work for it will have lost their jobs.

These things are not so black and white. Enough of the judgement, please.

8 Likes

Yes! We went in January.

Same.

I didn’t say Disney was contributing directly.

I feel like going on leisure travel may have contributed to people’s sense that they didn’t have to observe the basics of containment (masks and social distancing), which lead to the increase. Humans are social creatures, I don’t think it’s unreasonable that engaging in some behaviors may have signaled to others that they could engage in riskier behaviors too.

That is my regret. That my trip may have encouraged others to disregard guidelines, and thus contributed to the current situation.

2 Likes

IMHO, you should not feel badly. Sooner or later the parks were going to open & it would be before there is a vaccine (just like all the other re-openings). I know it seems like it was just a fun vacation, but to others it’s their livelihood. As other Liners have pointed out, WDW is not particularly dangerous compared to things like bars and large gatherings.

Reopening has to happen. If you didn’t get sick, then you helped someone keep their job, you didn’t contribute to the problem.

I would go ASAP except for the nasty nasty medications I take. I don’t know if that means I’m scared, but if so, then that’s OK. My hope is that next year, if they have the Galactic Cruiser done, there’s a vaccine, & DS22 graduates (three really big “ifs”) we will return in style!

9 Likes

I was gearing up for a multi-paragraph stem-winder when I realized I’m arguing on a modestly-trafficked message board about an amusement park. If there’s a bigger example of chicken-[redacted]ing I’m hard pressed to think of it. So, yep, your grand conspiracy got me. I’m riding my high-horse fearfully into the sunset.

2 Likes

To add to what you said, cases in Florida were peaking right before WDW opened up July 11th. And since case reporting lags actual infections, they were probably really peaking around July 4th. So Florida’s curve has very little to do with WDW.

More likely, the spike was due to prematurely reopening bars, not enforcing strict enough limitations on indoor restaurants, and low mask usage. Conversely, the reduction in cases since early July is most likely due to increased mask compliance and enforcement. I’d argue WDW has actually helped drive home the importance of masks. If people can wear them all day in the Florida heat / humidity, they can wear them for an hour at the supermarket.

Hopefully the cases will continue to drop and reduce toward the baseline seen in March - May. There are some activities that I believe would be irresponsible in a pandemic, and they all would involve going somewhere where distancing is impossible and/or masks are not worn. Something like a tightly packed club, bar, theater, sporting event, etc. There are some activities at WDW that historically would have fit that description, but from what I’ve seen, WDW has eliminated or modified those high risk activities.

9 Likes

I’m in the I am going…even though I have to quarantine for 14 days when I return. I’ll be taking all precautions. I think we need to support the economy. But really do think they should have restricted more high risk activities (like bars) I went to a family gathering today, outdoors, under 20 people (just a visit, no food) and I was the one telling people no hugging, stay apart…but do you think everyone listens, no :crazy_face: I stil did my part. No hugging, kept my distance.

2 Likes

We had to start opening up or have an even worse economy. The over reactions at places like bars and swimming pools - here in Missouri - were part of the learning curve, which amazingly did not have corresponding upticks in two other metrics - hospitalizations and deaths.

I’m pretty sure leisure travel can be safe and certainly productive for the businesses impacted.

Other resumed activities will almost certainly have accompanying spikes as we learn how to navigate which mitigations are most effective.

There’s more that adds to anxiety than fear of novel viruses. I have vertigo and an overactive imagination. Setting off on any road trip - even flat as a pancake terrain - as me in an absolute panic over what mishaps could happen. So far, touch wood, our returns have equaled our departures. :crossed_fingers:

(A good half of the road trips have involved scenic mountain roads and judicious use of some sort of head covering, making viewing of the lovely scenery completely impossible. :woman_facepalming: )

2 Likes

I can’t fathom why ANYONE would consider going to WDW right now.

(I say this to selfishly ensure crowds remain low for our visit in a few days…)

:grin:

5 Likes

I trust the cleaning and safety AT WDW. I do not trust it on planes, airports, or even a drive down through the many states between VA and FL.

For us, our June trip was cancelled for us and we’ve decided to save up and just do a big one when DD graduates from high school. We are taking a hit on the 3rd party tickets we got the kids, but offset slightly by the AP refunds that should be coming our way.

3 Likes