Who's in?

I have tentative dates of Dec 5th to 9th and then Dec 16th to 18th in the hopes that one of these would work. I know a lot of people are thinking it will be late December so we will see

1 Like

Keeps sounding better and better to me.

me too! The person I was talking with said that the “regular” VIP tour may be a good option if you really wanted to focus on Star Wars. You would still get the same advantages of not waiting in line. The main difference being on the regular VIP tour, you get fastpass type access but the World of Dreams you get front of line so no waiting at all. In the case of Star Wars, I would imagine even the fastpass line will be significant, potentially. Is it worth an extra $4k, not sure. The World of Dreams has a more extensive catalog of experiences (like seeing the suite in the castle) that the regular VIP tour doesn’t.
Since I am looking at December, she recommended touching base about 6 - 7 months out and then a planning session will be scheduled. If there are multiple parties involved, one person from each party would be included in the planning in a group call.

and what about folks where money is an issue??? I honestly think Walt would be appalled at all this…having said that, I have done add ons like a dessert party, so I guess I am also contributing to the problem

2 Likes

Sorry post in reply to the wrong person:

I know several people on the west coast are grouping together to do the regular VIP tour (IOW, get a plaid) to contend with the summer opening of SWGE. I Might consider the reg tour, but this one is a bit steep for me. But I am not opposed to living vicariously through you, so please post a thorough trip report if you do it!

1 Like

A lot people say that, but from what I have seen, read about, and heard, I don’t get that impression. Back in the day people were accusing him of creating a money grab even then.

I agree some of it seems outrageous and absurd. Many are up in arms over the new princess meal at DLR that is $125 per person, a person being anyone over the age of 3. It is the only princess meal in the resort, so it that or nothing. I have no doubt that it will be popular though. “If you build it, they will come.”

1 Like

I think that as long as Disney keeps the basic experience accessible to an average income (albeit something that has to be planned for), it is all one can expect from what is a private business in a market economy. I know I might sound like a Princess With Attitude in referring to VIP add-ons (“plaid” – I didn’t know that and learn something new every day!), but I pay for extras only occasionally. My last trip for Marathon Weekend I did not do one single extra, and I had a fantastic time and did everything I wanted to over the course of 6 days. I think Liners of all people know that you actually DON’T have to pay for any extras, let alone the crazy expensive ones, to have a wonderful time. You do have to plan, but that’s not about money, its about smarts, and having friends like these. The only reason I do the extras is for special treats (my DD’s 18th birthday we did the MK dessert fireworks thing), things you cannot get (Wild Africa Trek – awesome!), or because I only have a limited time and its a money vs. time invested thing (which I why I would consider a VIP tour). So I’m content that if anyone wants to spend extra money they get access to specials, or shorter waits even if I’m sticking with planning and optimizing, as long as the planning and optimizing still works to make Disney do-able. If they changed that balance, then yeah, I would think that is over the line.

2 Likes

OK, if you would like, keep me in your loop! I’ve got my reservation for Dec 7-14 and I’m doing it one way or another, by myself if necessary. I’ve never done the World in December for Xmas, and I’ve decided that is my priority for this year’s planning.

I agree whole heartedly!. I love the extras and have several on my bucket list (including getting a plaid). Some things seem a bit too far (IMHO) though. I take no issue with the tours, but when they remove a reasonably priced princess CM (the only one available at DLR) and replace it with an outrageous priced on, seems a little too far. It doesn’t effect me, as I have two teen boys, but it seems sad for those with little girls. But this is a business and supply and demand dictates what they can and cannot do.

2 Likes

Okay, I guess I missed it. What does “getting a plaid” mean??

“Plaids” are referring to the VIP tour guides. You see them walking with groups of people throughout the parks. They wear a plaid vest, which is where they get their name.

Paying for a Disney tour guide. They are the CMs you see in the parks dressed in plaid, leading a group, often celebrities. They cost a lot of money, minimum 8 hours.

Yes! I love seeing the pictures of the celebrities and their families on rides and the “plaid” awkwardly riding with them!

1 Like

3 Likes

yes - Didn’t mean to offend anyone…I too will be paying for DAH if available on my trip…but if DH found out I spent 2 grand for something like that, he’d think I’d lost it

3 Likes

Totally did not offend me – I was cringing that maybe I sounded PWA. I save my Princessness for other things: I have a running shirt that reads “Forget the glass slippers – this Princess wears running shoes.”

3 Likes

Oh I am not offended (if you meant me)! I just often hear that Walt would be turning over in his grave over the prices, but after spending time in the Disneyland Hotel and looking at the history (which is very cool and amazing BTW), I am under the impression he was already creating an environment that you could pay for “extras” and catering to upper class/upper middle class client base, while still having the park accessible to regular middle class folks (like myself).

1 Like

That is such a great picture!

That was indeed the World of Dreams tour. Thanks for listening to the show!

2 Likes

not insane at all.