Who is canceling and who is rebooking?

Excuse me, and I’m a Canadian and not a Trump fan, but at the very same time Dems were busy holding impeachment hearings, Trump announced on 1/31 travel restrictions to and from China. Let’s keep the politics out of these forums! Please!

7 Likes

So, how is June in Florida :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I know, freaking hot) WJ just cancelled transborder flights for 30 days effective March 22. So there goes any little hope I had of my April 17 trip still happening. Looking at Mid-June instead.

I went to cancel yesterday and my travel agent asked if I could keep it on the books - if Disney remains closed, they still get paid commission. I was more than happy to keep it on the books to help her out. I’m sure this is a miserable time to be a travel agent!

5 Likes

My trip is not until July, but I’m definitely leaving it be unless and until I have to do something. IF for some reason Disney is not back up and running but cruises are going, I’ll pop the money to a cruise to Bermuda (I realize that in all likelihood Disney will be open before cruises, but.) from NYC.

I’m so torn. I’m supposed to go early May. I’m starting to come to a stage of acceptance that I’ll need to cancel/reschedule for next year. Even if it opens the day I’m supposed to start my trip, I’m just not entirely sure I want to be there during that time. Maybe if I was a regular visitor, it would be a part of my Disney life, but it’s our family’s first visit and I really want to experience Disney full on - I feel like it may not be at that time. I try to think positive things, like “hmmm…that will allow me to tweak things a bit and see some of the new things”. But, really, I’m sad over it. That sadness is making me hesitate calling. Like mayyyybe somehow some way, this will all just die down. But that’s denial. I’m working through it. sigh

2 Likes

That’s heartbreaking. That must be worse than the Disney hangover.

1 Like

Cooler then july!!

I have a split-stay reserved May 3-9th that I’m now convinced I’ll have to cancel. Half of my reservation is through David’s DVC. Crossing my fingers I’ll be able to salvage this. Have only been to DW once (June '09), and was going to surprise my kids with their first trip to Disney. Glad I wasn’t planning on telling them yet anyway. Had great fastpasses. I remember stumbling upon Touring Plans last summer and staring at their crowd calendar, trying to find the “perfect” week to go to DW. Bleh.

If I rebook… Sept-October maybe?

2 Likes

I’m sure I’m going to be complacent again when this is all over. But at this moment I keep telling myself I will never take regular, boring life for granted ever again:

• Being in a crowd
  • Waiting in a line
  • Buying toilet paper
  • Not having to ration milk, diapers, or paper towels
  • Eating in a restaurant
  • Attending a movie theater
  • Shaking hands
  • Giving hugs
  • Sending my kids to school (yes, even waking up early to drop them off at the bus stop!)

Even today as I picked up fast food at a drive-thru, I was so thankful for the people who were going to work and putting themselves at risk so I could have lunch!

I hope this sense of gratitude for the world we live in continues after this is all over.

13 Likes

I’m so thankful for the things we still have too! This is so much better than during a hurricane!

Safe, running water
Electricity
AC
Internet
Drivable roads
No flooded buildings
No torn off roofs
Sure, grocery stores are a bit crazy but they are still open and supply lines are clear
Gas and ice easy to find

11 Likes

Absolutely priceless. Related - indoor plumbing and a functioning sewer/septic system.

6 Likes

It really was although I think realizing I had to cancel was all tied in with the realization that I HAD to cancel because the magnitude of what we were facing hit me like a ton of bricks one morning. funny how quickly we adapt to the new normal. It’s like the aftermath of a hurricane except we have power and no block parties. With any luck we will go back. All my best to everyone who is now going through it.

1 Like

I ended up canceling our April trip once the announcements came that the resorts were closing. We had thought about going even if the parks were closed but that came to a screeching halt.

Have rebooked for first week of June. It’s just a short 2 night hop so easy for us to adjust.

I have two trips booked this year.

The first is the last week in June. It is perfect. As a veteran Disney planner now, it is a work of genius. What makes it extra special is that I’m taking a friend who’s never been. It’s all we’ve talked about for months.

Yet I feel increasingly sure that I should cancel and get a refund from Disney. (I’ve paid in full.)

My question is as to the timing. The UK has much longer cancellation notice requirements than the US. So a quicker decision is required.

But equally, I am concerned that if I wait it out for a while, Disney may not have the cash or the staff to process a refund.

My head is telling me to cancel the June trip now. And, in fact, cancel my October trip now. My heart is telling me to wait because, well, maybe it’s all going to work out. That being said, I’ve pretty much made my peace with the idea that I’m not going in June.

Edit: I’ve cancelled both.

1 Like

Yes, it was a risk, I rented dvc at poly 5/9-5/16 and my Mother decided she didn’t like that DVC was not refundable or able to be rescheduled. She instead booked a package through Disney and has only put 200.00 down at this point. She also doesn’t have to pay the balance until 7 days before and can cancel up to the day before checkin in. So, the sayin “ Mother knows best” really applies here! In any event we aren’t cancelling until Disney pulls the plug

2 Likes

When did Disney start this policy? I’ve always seen that room/ticket packages are final payment due at 30 days out and from 29-2 days before arrival there is a $200 penalty. Room-only does not have to be paid in full until the arrival date and have to be cancelled at least 5 days before arrival to get the 1st night’s deposit refunded.

Agreed. This is humbling is. I’m watching tv and see people at a restaurant and just grocery shopping like normal and I’m thinking how wonderful that looks.

I believe it was March 15. She used an agent with MVT travel agent. Here is what they said , cut and paste email below:

“Sharon,

I was just sending this notice out to my April and May clients. Please see below. If you have any questions after reading this over please let me know. PLEASE know that as your chosen travel planner I am here for you. If you have questions… I am happy to hear them. If I can get answers for you, I will. If I cannot at this time I will let you know that as well and we will wait together. I do ask for your patience…as many vendors do have long wait times.

This is WHY I do what I do. I am here for you and will continue to provide you with the best service I can.

Thank you,

Stephanie

You are receiving this message because you have a reservation scheduled in April or May.

This is the latest information we have from Disney:

Effective March 15, 2020, until further notice, we’re making a temporary adjustment to our final payment policy for Walt Disney World® and Disneyland® Resort packages booked through Walt Disney Travel Company. For existing bookings, final payment to WDTC will now be due 7 days prior to Guest arrival.

Additionally, all reservations through June 30th can get a full refund with no penalty up until the day before check-in, giving you the flexibility to wait until closer to your travel dates to make a decision.

Thank you for your patience and understanding with this unprecedented situation.

2 Likes

Gotcha. So a new - and probably temporary thing. Thanks!

1 Like

Good information for us! Thank you.