What's your countdown? thread - 9 October

Morning peoples!

It was nice to have a countdown thread again yesterday, so I thought I’d start one today.

My countdown is now at 117. I was feeling quite chilled about the whole thing, until I joined the instagramz (thanks for telling me to guys, I love it!). Seeing everyone else’s WDW photos is getting me excited.

What’s your countdown and are you getting excited yet?

6 Likes

Hi @Ellen1976 258 for us! I am excited despite it being so far away. It will be our first wdw so can’t wait. The aussie $ is falling at the moment though so debating whether to change more money now or see if it inches back up again. Decisions decisions. Have a great day.

4 Likes

Oh, we’re the same - tempted to get our currency now, but will prob just leave it. I was going to say you have a great day too, but should say have a great nights sleep probably!

2 Likes

Getting close to bed time!

1 Like

Hi @Ellen1976! I’m so glad you did this. My countdown is 25 today. I’m alternating between excited and worried multiple times a day. That’s normal for me. Luckily, I almost always do my worrying before big things, and then throw it all out the window once the big thing is happening. :slight_smile:

1 Like

16 for us. I’m getting a bit nervous with all the other stuff I need to do (recruit a new headteacher for school on Monday, my little boys birthday on Tuesday, plus all the pre-holiday stuff). Once they’re out of the way, then I’m sure I’ll be super excited.

5 Likes

1 day! My guest room is starting to fill with the stuff that we need, but 24 hours from now we’ll be on the plane. I haven’t been in almost 10 years, and my kids have never been. I don’t post a ton here, but I’d be happy to do a trip report. It’ll be me, my parents, and my 2 sons – almost 6 and almost 2.

I’ve woken up each morning this week way early, buzzing with excitement and with a brain full of to dos.

6 Likes

Ooh, 1 day! You win! Hope you all have a fantastic time. And yes we’d all love to read a trip report if you fancy doing one.

2 Likes

21!!! So I have less than 3 weeks to finish making DD7’s Mary Poppins costume, DD4’s braid for her Rapunzel costume and get myself ready for my trip. Ahhh, I also have to plan and prep the 2nd grade Halloween party. Yikes, feeling overwhelmed.

4 Likes

I’m at 89 today. @Ellen1976, we leave on Jan 14, so I will miss you by a few weeks. Bummer!

1 Like

Oh, that’s such a shame! It would have been fun to meet you.

1 Like

I agree, it would have been fun to meet. I would prefer to go a few weeks later (I would like more time to recover from the holidays), but DD’s school schedule doesn’t permit it. How long is your trip?

1 Like

We are doing 8 days at Old Key West, then a couple of days at Portofino Bay at universal before we go home. I’d maybe have liked to stay a bit longer having travelled so far, but don’t want Cal (DS 17) to miss too much college (only missing 3 days). What about you guys, how long are you staying for? Do you usually go in January?

We went in January last year when all you poor peeps in the US were stuck under the polar vortex (I think I got that right) so even Orlando was a bit cold!

2 Likes

Sounds like a great trip. We haven’t done Universal yet but in the Summer of 2016 my goddaughter will be coming from the UK and we are taking her to WDW and Universal. Not sure which hotels for either yet. Thinking an EP area resort and then probably Cabana Bay at Universal since we will have 2 adults and 3 kids.

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to stay in one of the Epcot area resorts, but have never been able to get the numbers to work, even doing dvc rental - coming from the UK we get offered good discounts to stay at OKW and Saratoga Springs.

Yes, Cabana Bay looks great! I was really tempted by it and am defo going to walk over there one evening to have a look round - I love the sort of Madmen meets California type theming.

2 Likes

My sis and I are taking short trip in a few weeks and staying at the Swan for the first time. I am using credit card points so we will only be paying $100 for the resort fee. Very excited.
We have managed to stay at Beach Club once but did a split stay after staying at POR for a few nights. I think we will probably use points for 2016 trip. I don’t like that DGD would miss Disney hotel theming but the location will make up for it. If we do a Disney resort I will hopefully make it something very different like AKL.

I think you get better perks at Portofino so you made a good choice. It looks like a lovely hotel.

1 Like

@Ellen1976, You’ll have a great trip! I don’t blame you for not wanting Cal to miss too much school.
We went last year about the same time, from Jan 7-15. We went to Panama City Beach, FL a few days before that. We drove, so we ended up leaving home a day early, to avoid the huge snowstorm headed our way. The weather was chilly at the beach, but home was so much colder! The neighbor sent a picture of our driveway which had drifts of 3 feet or more in front of our garage door. It was all gone by the time we got back. :slight_smile: We also went in Jan, way back in 2001 and 2004 My DH likes that time because of the cooler weather.

1 Like

That’s a really great price and I’m sure you’ll have a great time there! I’ve always liked the look of AKL too, never stayed there, just visited for dinner.

Yes, went for a bit of a splurge with Portofino bay really, but since it was only for two nights, I thought we would have a bit of a treat!

1 Like

3 feet of snow - wow - I bet you weren’t sorry to miss that! Do you know, we missed you by one day last year - we flew in on Jan 16. I got talking to quite a few people from the mid west, because they were hardy souls like me and were also using the swimming pool and hot tub in the cold and rain! Yes, my husband prefers Jan/Feb as he likes it a bit cooler too. I on the other hand would prefer to go late Aug early Sep, but don’t really mind either way as long as I get to go to WDW.

1 Like

@Ellen1976, so close last Jan! Oh yes, we’re hardy souls here in the Midwest! Our area doesn’t get as much snow as more northern places, so a three foot drift was a bit excessive (I think we got about a foot of snow, but the wind was terrible, creating wacky piles). I would love to go in early Sept, but I agree, a trip any time of year is great!

1 Like