What's the dealbreaker for you?

I don’t think this has been discussed elsewhere — sorry if it has.

Suppose you have a Disney trip coming up. Booked and paid for. All planned. Which of the following things would cause you to cancel, or at least wonder if you should.

1. Temperature checks at park entrances. Every time.
  2. Pinprick blood tests at the park entrances (which you only need to take once: results are added to you MDE).
  3. Masks compulsory for CMs.
  4. Masks compulsory for guests.
  5. No parades.
  6. No fireworks.
  7. No theatre shows.
  8. No FPPs. All lines are standby, with markers on the ground indicating six foot gaps between parties. If lines are full you have to come back another time.
  9. One or more parks closed for the duration of your trip. (Would it matter which one?)
  10. No table service restaurants. Quick service with floor markings as for rides.
  11. No quick service restaurants. Table service only, with limited tables spread out in the restaurants. Two course maximum to ensure quick throughput.
  12. No character meet-and-greets, including at meals.
  13. All parks closed. Resorts only. All pools / gyms shut.

Feel free to add other conditions.

1 Like

4 and 13. I’m claustrophobic enough that I can’t stand wearing a mask for more than 1/2 hour in the grocery store. Definitely couldn’t wear it all day. And although a resort-only trip could be fun, I’m not spending Disney-level dollars to hang out in a hotel for a week.

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m with you on masks. I haven’t worn one yet and I won’t unless we are required to do so. Wearing one in the Florida heat and humidity would be a dealbreaker for sure. Also, it makes people look scary and I don’t want that at Disney World, thank you.

A resort-only trip? It would be nice to get away and have a break. I do love being in Florida — it’s so different to what I’m used to. But I think I’d get bored.

1 Like

I do have a Sept. and a “back-up” Decmeber trip planned, so… the items that would be a dealbreaker are:

2 - I hate needles (plus, I don’t trust a security guard / CM to do it properly - biohazard)
9 - Dealbreaker unless there was a big price drop and if MK was open.
10 / 11 - I’d be fine with “select” TS / QS open instead of all restaurants, but not all or none.
13 - I’m not a “resort” person. I’m there for rides / attractions! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

4, 9, & 13 for sure.

I hate wearing a mask for a one hour grocery trip. I can’t even imagine wearing it for a full day in Florida heat. I doubt they are even considering it though honestly.

With a family of 5, the trip is too expensive to be able to not enjoy all of the parks.

If I wanted a resort only trip, I would go somewhere with a beach to enjoy.

1 Like

8 and 13. I will wear a mask, but I will not stand in line. And I come for the rides.

1 Like

Agree 100% on these. Also, 9 would at least cause us hesitation and make it a tough decision, and it does depend on the park. We might be ok without Epcot for a trip, but then I doubt that would be the one shut down, as it has more area than others for people to spread out.

I think 8 depends on if attendance is also limited in some way. On its face, it’s hard to gauge the full effect.

Having recovery deal for free DDP definitely weighs on 10 and 11. If it’s a “use it or lose it” situation, we might still settle for QSDP if 10 happens (and may consider less expensive resort accordingly). If our free dining can be extended to any future dates somehow, then 10 may be a dealbreaker right now, as we are now too excited about new dining experiences we otherwise would not pay OOP for if not for the DDP.

#2 will never happen. There is too much risk of getting something else you might be carrying from the blood. Years ago that would have been an option, but after AIDS, there’s no more just pricking your finger for a blood sample.

Also, my kids (teens) would be screaming.

#13 would be okay if the prices were a lot lower. If I want to just spend time in a hotel with a nice pool, there are plenty of choices.

#8. Maybe things would be better without FPs, but I don’t know how to travel the World without them. That said, if the guest numbers were way down, such that there would be reasonable waits at all the rides, maybe that would be okay. But a fully crowded CL6 and up park? No.

1 Like

1 wouldn’t bother me though I don’t think it would keep the parks safer, it’s just theatre. 2 I could maybe deal with. 5 I don’t care about, we don’t watch parades. The rest would stop me going.

1 Like

A few of those would be for me. I have worn a mask recently when picking up my curbside groceries. Miserable for those few seconds. And honestly just made me sad, so that would be a deal breaker for Disney.

Disney is also such an expense, I’m not sure I would go if they got rid of a lot of the things I love about it. I’d prob wait for the full experience.

3 Likes
  1. All parks closed. Resorts only. All pools / gyms shut.

^^ This is definitely my hard stop. Not flying in and paying Disney hotel rates without the parks open.

Park closures is the only other one that might give me pause (I think blood tests are so unlikely as to not even consider), depending on how they managed it. If only MK was open, not going. If they rotate and we can get to at least 3 parks over the duration of our trip…probably would still go.

Everything else we could probably live with.

1 Like

My answer to my own question is partly blinded by my desire simply to go back there and stand on Main Street with a frappuccino, staring at the Castle and listening to the music.

Closing some of the parks wouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me. All of the parks would be.

The temperature scanner is fine, but the blood test is out, as would wearing masks be.

The rest of it I could probably deal with.

At night they could run the projections and soundtrack for HEA maybe continuously (a bit like they do at UOR for their Castle show) so that you get some of the experience and there’s no need to form crowds. No fireworks.

Maybe they could run the parade all day, one float at a time — maybe one every half hour or something. So again, no need for crowds.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention masks in the heat too, that makes a huge difference. I think our summer trips were/are overlapping or at least close. For me, wearing a mask would be a definite dealbreaker at 90+ degrees, even if they didn’t make me have a mini panic attack.

2 Likes

How can A mask even stay on when you are on a ride, they would be littering the whole place

5 Likes

My sister’s neighbor took her granddaughter to Disney a year or two ago for a resort only weekend instead of the beach they normally went to. The Disney value resort was cheaper and they were only going to hang at the pool anyway.

We just had this discussion and we’re good with most of WDW being shut down. We don’t ride all rides. We do like eating. Altho pay on line take out is probably ok. (NO cooking ! :heart_eyes: )

Probably the biggest difficulty is getting there. If we can get there, more will be open.

None of these are a dealbreaker for me. However, I expect no one in my family would go and they will be worried for me even if I’m not, so I expect it won’t be that easy to just go. I have trips booked in Sept, Dec, and Jan (if I decide to run the Dopey Challenge – I’ve not decided) but I am far from confident I will be able to do them. Although if Disney is open, I will probably go and just so the best I can.

1 Like

I was actually thinking along these lines somewhat, this morning.

Mostly thinking about dusting. I used to wear a particle mask and still get a stuffy nose, sneezy and even occasionally coughy. (Yes. Dusting is not a frequent activity in my house :blush:)

Through the years my seemingly inexhaustible supply (apparently somebody bought a big box) of particle masks disappeared. Ran out. (Or the whereabouts of forgotten)
And due to cataracts I’ve had to resort to wearing glasses full time.

Amazingly dusting is a whole different experience. No longer sneezy, coughy, stuffy. Glasses apparently protect better than masks.

Does this have any relevance to our current situation with viruses? :thinking:

Cuz I’d be happy to wear goggles at Disney (glasses fall off). I’d even wear gloves cuz they’re a great reminder to keep my hands off my face! :wink:

Masks not so much . . .

1 Like

Park closure will trigger some serious discussions.
If the parks were all closed, we just wouldn’t go.
Not only is it a huge chunk of cash but DD5 would be heartbroken to go to WDW and then stay in a hotel.

3 Likes

My answers in bold (i.e., Would I cancel?):

1. Temperature checks at park entrances. Every time. No
  2. Pinprick blood tests at the park entrances (which you only need to take once: results are added to you MDE). No
  3. Masks compulsory for CMs.No
  4. Masks compulsory for guests. No
  5. No parades.No
  6. No fireworks. No
  7. No theatre shows. No
  8. No FPPs. All lines are standby, with markers on the ground indicating six foot gaps between parties. If lines are full you have to come back another time. No - I actually like this better than FPP cause lines would presumably be shorter - maybe even shorter than a typical FPP!
  9. One or more parks closed for the duration of your trip. (Would it matter which one?) Might depend on which one. I really want to do Rise of the Resistance this trip
  10. No table service restaurants. Quick service with floor markings as for rides. No, but would be disappointing than most of the others on this list
  11. No quick service restaurants. Table service only, with limited tables spread out in the restaurants. Two course maximum to ensure quick throughput. No
  12. No character meet-and-greets, including at meals. No - actually a relief
  13. All parks closed. Resorts only. All pools / gyms shut. Yes - I would probably cancel if all parks were closed. I would 100% cancel if there were not even pools.

I have a paid DVC reservation that is only refundable if my resort (BCV) is still closed. So in a practical sense, I will probably go as long as there is something (pools) to do. But if even pools are closed, I will cut my losses and go elsewhere.

I hear you. I’m planning on booking 1900PF because I really like the breakfast food offering, and TAF for the same reason. But I could really do without the characters in both places. Face characters freak me out. Even Flynn Rider.

1 Like