What’s with all the spam recently?

To be clear, the posts about “sexy legs” were about one of our fellow liners (and not ads for adult websites) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I haven’t either but I just realized most of the threads I follow are in La Cava as well.

1 Like

And not Mater’s???:joy:
I mean, there are better places to advertise towing services… just saying.

2 Likes

Great minds! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Weird. I haven’t seen any of this. You must be special.

Here’s an example I just flagged (screen shot in case it disappears before folks see what these look like)

It’s a response in an old thread

3 Likes

Did I do something wrong? I’m confused…

No it wasn’t you!

It was the last reply in your thread - it was from a spambot
There has been an increase in spam recently and we are asked to flag those posts for mods to remove

Some folks here in this thread discussing the spam have not seen any and wondered what these posts looked like

I was just sharing a screen shot of the post, which happened to be in your thread

You’re fine! Sorry for the confusion :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Interesting.
I would never have considered that that was spam.
It seems entirely relevant and a nice answer to the OP :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Key flags: selling something, first post ever (and if you look at the profile info they joined like 5 mins ago :laughing: ), AI-type language, not conversational, and 99.9% of the time they are replies to old posts (like this was from early 2022)

7 Likes

Are you serious? It reads like a Sears Catalogue!

5 Likes

Yes.
But I thought the information was helpful to the thread.

It would be different if it was someone randomly trying to sell a timeshare or insurance when someone is looking for children’s fashions.

This one wouldn’t have struck me as out of place.

3 Likes

I agree with you. It wouldn’t have immediately steamed spam to me. Just that the person writing it had an odd writing style :rofl:

4 Likes

You’re good! I would never have suspected it, but now I know how to spot spams and bots.

:face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

When posts are flagged, are they hidden from everyone else being able to see it?

1 Like

After review the mods delete them. At least that’s what I think happens :grin:

4 Likes

I don’t know if they are hidden right away in general, but these spam ones do seem to poof pretty immediately (and sometimes I’ve flagged them in the middle of the night) so I’m not sure if spam is different. When you flag a post you’re asked to give a reason why you’re flagging, so it’s possible spam gets immediately poofed while concerns over content are reviewed before poofed

Also that username no longer exists.

5 Likes

Not immediately. Upthread, about a week ago, I’d mentioned that I had seen two posts (very late at night) that had been flagged, but had not yet been deleted. One username had “towing” as part of the name, and the user had joined just a couple hours earlier. They were comments on very old posts. Lots of suspicious clues.

5 Likes

For those following this thread, I wanted to share a weird one that popped up during the night.

This one incorporated the title of a popular thread with some click-baity additions. When you looked at the post itself it offered a link to a twitter account of a known Liner

Once again when I clicked on the username and viewed the profile, it showed me that the user had only joined 1 hour before. I could also see the full url of the link, and it definitely appeared malicious. I flagged it right away and our awesome mods removed it.

But it worried me because it seemed like one that could catch folks unawares, especially just waking up, and I worried the link would harm their device. I did also screen shot the full url and user profile and included it in a response to the thread in hopes folks would see it.

In any case, it’s gone now, but just a heads up to be very diligent about what you’re clicking on, especially if it’s from an unknown, very new user. I’m hoping something can be done about it but I’m betting nothing can.

4 Likes

Oh man, this is crazy. If they are using a known liner name as bait it means they aren’t just creating an account and making scammy posts. It means they have been here- creeping.

1 Like