What’s with all the spam recently?

More curious than anything to know if anyone has insight into why there is a surge of spam recently. I have myself flagged I think 6 posts in the last week or so, all of which seem to appear in the overnight hours. In the grand scheme 6 isn’t a lot, I definitely get that, but it is a lot for this site.

Just wondering :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@missoverexcited and I reached out to Len about this with examples. He is looking into it. Sometimes the posts get flagged, sometimes we see them first. We ask users to please flag these posts.

4 Likes

I think I must hang out in La Cava too much.
I have not seen any of these posts :thinking:

2 Likes

Me too.

2 Likes

I sort by latest, so whenever the spammers respond to any post it pops to the top for me.

2 Likes

I also sort by latest, but I don’t read everything.

2 Likes

I’m curious about what it looks like.

1 Like

I’ve never seen anything that doesn’t look “legit”.

1 Like

I think the threads I’m noticing it in are threads I’ve participated in so I have a blue number, which always pulls me in :slight_smile:

It looks like a regular post and then you start reading and realize it’s an ad

Last night’s posts were an ad for a towing company. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Next time I see one I’ll take a screen grab before I flag. It’s been pretty often over the last week in particular. So it feels like something happened in the background with programming or algorithm for the board.

3 Likes

If it’s not Mater then it doesn’t belong here :laughing::+1:t2:

4 Likes

Ah, that explains it a bit better. I’d seen a couple new posts that had been already flagged for deletion. There was no text that I could see. When I clicked on the user’s name, it showed they had joined just three hours earlier. I think that name had “towing” as part of their name.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the spam threads some days ago. It was early in the morning and a mod deleted.

It was info from some company I forget, maybe to do with hiring? But it was like a dozen threads at the same time. All with slightly different topics.

It was strange, first time I ever saw it.

5 Likes

Yup I flagged one of those too

3 Likes

I believe @bebe80 is referring to new threads that were started and deleted very quickly before they were flagged.

This has been reported to Len, with multiple examples.

Please flag spam posts if you see them before we do. Thanks

5 Likes

I flagged at least one for a hiring firm that appeared and poofed

But I’m super glad there is quick action on them

3 Likes

Yes. It was pretty wild because it was soooo many.

2 Likes

Yeah, usually they don’t start threads.

3 Likes

To be clear, the posts about “sexy legs” were about one of our fellow liners (and not ads for adult websites) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I haven’t either but I just realized most of the threads I follow are in La Cava as well.

1 Like