What movie should I watch?

Wait. Your kids haven’t seen the original Mary Poppins? How, exactly, is this possible?

2 Likes

Didn’t own it,I don’t recall ever seeing it available for streaming until now.

Isn’t it on TV on holidays over there? I would safely say it’s on at least twice a year over here.

1 Like

My house hasn’t had cable/ satellite in years and we only watch limited OTA programming because commercials are annoying.

Go to the library (well, when not social distancing) and check it out!

I can’t recall Mary Poppins on regular tv.

For years Wizard of Oz was a major tv event - particularly before VHS and cable tv.

Mary Poppins was an all nightly occurence at our house as the 18 month old wouldn’t sleep without itnor stay asleep. Had to take it on trips.
We wore out a DVD. A dozen years later she had no recollection of ever watching the movie.

:rofl:

4 Likes

Your TV is different to ours. Everyone here has the 5 basic channels (of which BBC has 2 and no adverts).

1 Like

Wizard of Oz and Sound of Music were big holiday films here too. They’re on less these days but Mary Poppins is going strong.

2 Likes

Oh yes. How could I forget Sound of Music. As well here. Maybe more than WoO nowadays.
And at Easter the 10 Commandments with somebody - Charlton Heston? Also in December it’s a Wonderful Life and a couple others. Miracle on 34th.

I have not seen the last 3 mentioned above.

And then there’s all the animated offerings actually starting with the Great Pumpkin in October. TV really goes on a slide. I can not like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer cartoon.

I need a shivery icky emoji

2 Likes

But don’t you pay for a TV license or something like that? They always get you one way or another :smile:

1 Like

Then they made Return to Oz and everyone soured on the whole thing. Those roller guys gave me nightmares.

1 Like

Yeah we pay £10 a month or so but we have great TV.

2 Likes

Is it as good as Benny Hill? I loved that show as a kid.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

I don’t really remember Benny Hill except him chasing women. I don’t think it would go down so well these days!

1 Like

We actually like to watch it to mock how awful everyone is to one another. Not really sure how it managed to become the classic it is, though. Probably something to do with a song.

1 Like

Several in my family love it despite or because it’s so easy to mock. Mostly I hear it’s the nostalgia factor.

At the other end of the spectrum is Netflix’s Christmas Chronicles

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me t watch Togo. Our Girl Scout camp here in Alaska is named Togowoods - yes, for Leonard Seppala’s Togo. It is located on the original Iditarod trail and right down the road from Joe Redington’s homestead. He’s the gentleman who started the Iditarod race in honor of those who made the diphtheria run. Togo is kind of a big deal to any girl who went to the camp. :grin:

5 Likes

What age would you recommend? Okay for almost second grader to watch? We were looking at that one.

1 Like

Our boys are 4th grade and had no problem with it. There are intense moments as they face scary challenges but that is also part of the greatness of the story and movie. My brother recommended it to us after he watched it with his oldest three- 1st, 3rd and 5th grade. They loved it.

2 Likes

Just watched Togo with my family. I had to leave the room one or three times because it was getting so intense. Four of my kids watched it with DH and I - ages 17, 15, 9 & 7. They were all fine.

There are at least three harrowing escapes. But it was a really really good movie.

@cfunkak I had to tell my girls about the camp named for him because there were getting really really mad at Balto. Dh and I had to remind them that Balto was in fact a part of the team AND the real point was the HUMANS GOT THE MEDICINE. Hellooooooo.

4 Likes