What is it with paying extra for a view?

Talking of which, why on any US WDW vlogs do people switch their knives and forks around so much? It is almost hypnotic sometimes!

2 Likes

Ah! Good question. It is true. MOST people are right handed. We want to pick up the fork with the right hand. But when it comes time to actually cut, you want the knife in your right hand. So, swap it goes. Then when done cutting, you swap back.

I’ve trained myself to eat with my left hand when using a fork and knife, so I don’t have to do it as much.

The other problem is that we set the table by placing the fork on the LEFT side of the plate, and the knife and spoon on the RIGHT side. So, immediately when we pick up our utensils, they are in the wrong hands!

If I had a million dollars, we wouldn’t have to eat Kraft Dinner.

6 Likes

I’ve never quite understood why Americans can’t/won’t use their cutlery the same way as Europeans, i.e. fork in left hand and knife in right, and that’s how they stay throughout the meal… :rofl:

1 Like

Ummmm… No! Cutlery is in the correct hand. Just don’t switch.

1 Like

Americans eat a TON of food that never requires the use of cutlery. As a result, you just get into the habit of using the fork in your dominant hand. When presented with a need to use a knife, the whole swapping dance takes place.

While I CAN eat with the fork in my left hand, it is awkward. I’m not as dexterous with my left hand and find certain types of food more difficult to get onto the fork. Meats, etc., where you would use a knife, you just pretty much jab. But other times you use a fork almost like a spoon. That’s when it isn’t as easy for us who are right-handed!

3 Likes

You know, if you took the last couple posts and delete everything except the original, it would be humorous to have people guess how the topic went from paying for a room with a view to how you use your hands to eat!

4 Likes

You’re talking to a guy who prefers to eat most of his meals with his hands and/or a spoon. And I’ve never thought about it before, but as much as I love people watching I don’t watch people while they eat. In short, I’ve never noticed and don’t have any idea how it’s supposed to be. I’m curious to see what I do next time I have to use a knife, though.

1 Like

Make yourself a plateful of Kraft Mac & Cheese and be sure to cut up each individual noodle!

2 Likes

Negative. That’s classic spoon food. Big spoon if I’m in a hurry. Smaller one if I have time to linger over the meal and savor it a bit longer.

It will have to be meat, and steak at that. Chops and chicken are hand foods.

2 Likes

Usually, yes. But this is for science…

See? What better way to test what you’d do than having to cut up 1000 tiny little noodles!

1 Like

I couldn’t even answer that without going back and re-reading the thread.

1 Like

I am just going to ignore this​:fearful::wink:.

Fork left hand always. Prongs facing downwards always. Even for pudding.

2 Likes

I haven’t read the 70-something posts in this this thread so I don’t know where the topic may have gone, but to comment on the OP, I totally agree with you. The only other one I might add to AKL would be a park view at the CR/BLT (which I’ll never see unless someone gifts it to me). An on my solo trips (which are most of them), when the resort is somewhere to sleep and shower, I find it hard to “justify” anything more than a Value…

1 Like

Pudding, in the UK sense, sure. But pudding in the US sense, you would use the fork with prongs up so that it is more like a spoon. Pretty much, I use the fork for everything other than cereal/soup…things involving liquids.

Why dirty three utensils when I only need one or two? :slight_smile:

But when I’m eating meat, or salad, etc, where I’d use a knife, I do hold the fork prongs downward usually in my left hand. If the prongs need to face up, I’ll usually have the fork in my right hand.

2 Likes

Eating is supposed to be a joyful activity. You guys make it sound like sitting for an exam.

2 Likes

Sometimes, yes. Mostly, it is a means to an ends. On occasion, it is a pleasure unto itself. (Let’s all say it together, folks: CHOCOLATE!)

2 Likes

But we would.

2 Likes

We’d just eat more!

1 Like

Although “born and bred” American, when eating something that requires a fork and a knife, I have pretty much adopted the “European” method of fork in left hand and knife in right hand and then keeping the fork in my left hand while eating the piece that I have cut vice the “American” method of putting the knife down and switching the fork, tines up, to my right hand.

2 Likes