What is it with paying extra for a view?

Yes I can only speak from my own perspective, and we don’t need 3 sleeping surfaces.

3 Likes

I wish we didn’t! I could share with DD, but no thanks. :wink:

2 Likes

I was just thinking that’s what I would probably do! I’ll be sharing with DS13 next week. But if I could afford not to, maybe I wouldn’t!

1 Like

3 sleeping services is nice and we utilized that at BC despite only having 3. But with most of the Deluxes you’re paying for location. At an Epcot resort being able to walk to Epcot and walk/boat to DHS easily is an amazing perk. At a monorail resort being able to be walking down mainstreet in under 15 minutes from leaving your room is amazing. Toss in the really nice restaurants at the Deluxes and more amentiies outside the park and I can usually find a way to justify the added cost…

2 Likes

Yes, this too. We LOVED BCV, for the room size and 3 sleeping surfaces, plus that amazing walk to Epcot. Our next family trip for spring break we are staying at BWV for the same reasons.

1 Like

Something else to consider is that a WDW vacation does not have to involve the parks at all. There are a multitude of reasons to visit WDW, and a multitude of non-park related activities. This year we broke up a long vacation into multiple three-night stays spread throughout the year. Our upcoming trip will be extremely relaxed and mostly unscripted, with relatively little park time and more resort time than usual. So when an AP discount put an upgraded villa within reach we jumped on it. If we were going hit the parks every day from open to close there wouldn’t be much of a point, but this time it’s not that kind of trip.

1 Like

Again, I’d never go to WDW if I wasn’t going to the parks. There are millions of places to go that don’t have theme parks next to them, if you’re not intending to visit them anyway. But if it makes you happy…

I realise you are doing some park time, so this isn’t relevant to you, but I see people posting about absolutely no park trips too.

1 Like

I suppose my main point was in response to the OP’s query. A lot of different people place value on a lot of different things, and Disney has a lot of different plans to separate all of them from their money. It’s not just families descending on theme parks like hordes of locusts bent on sampling everything there is to offer, although that’s what most people think of when they think WDW (not to mention that it’s a huge chunk of Touring Plans’ audience). And when you’re part of the horde it’s easy to assume that everyone else is there for the same reasons you are. (Please, no one take offense. I’m a proud veteran of the horde myself.)

If you have a desire Disney can fulfill they’re going try to keep you from having to shop elsewhere for it. And if you see something for sale at WDW that makes no sense to you whatsoever, you can rest assured that there are enough people who want it and are willing to pay for it to make it worth offering. Trying understand why will just hurt your brain. I think we all have at least one of those.

4 Likes

Pin trading. :runs and ducks:
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’ve already mentioned the dining plan, but I’ll add club level rooms, the popcorn obsession, and hot coffee everywhere you turn.

Edited to add fireworks cruises. I’ve never seen anybody on one that didn’t look bored or miserable.

1 Like

Me too. I really loved the after fireworks dessert party at MK recently.

2 Likes

This. We did the same thing - balcony, drinks, watching animals. It is really amazing and one of our favorite memories from a trip.

1 Like

Yes, but you can do that from a standard view too.

3 Likes

Let’s not discriminate. It’s also known as Kraft Dinner by our Canadian friends.

3 Likes

This is the part that makes it a little trickier to justify price differences. Some of the standard view rooms actually have similar views as the premium-priced views. For example, apparently at Bay Lake Tower there are some standard view rooms that provide a clear view of the Magic Kingdom. I guess, in Disney’s mind, you pay to be GUARANTEED the view. If you don’t, you might still end up with a theme park view, but you very well likely won’t.

3 Likes

What about French speaking Canadians? Are the Qébécois even allowed to eat macaroni and cheese from a box?

2 Likes

No, silly. They put it in a bowl or on a plate first, like the rest of us!

3 Likes

You know, of course, that I’m referring to culinary sacrilege. Like ketchup on steak. Or instant grits. But I would still eat it in the box. I would even eat it on a boat, or with a goat.

2 Likes

But I do not LIKE orange Mac and Cheese. I do not like it, if you please. I do not like it on a boat, I do not like it with a goat.

1 Like

I like that phrase. I’m going to use it in the future. I don’t know when, I don’t know how, but when the opportunity presents itself.

When I was a kid, I probably would have done so. Now, I don’t even put ketchup on my hot dogs. Only mustard. Preferably jalapeño mustard.

1 Like