What is it with paying extra for a view?

At AKL, maybe. Other than that, why would someone bother? They’re going to Disney. How much time are people really spending looking out the window everyday? Enough that their trip will feel lesser if they have to look at cars instead of trees?

2 Likes

I’d consider doing so at the Contemporary or BLT, since being able to see into Magic Kingdom before you wake up or go to bed can be fun. At other Magic Kingdom resorts I might enjoy views of the lakes while I’m in the room on a break or any other time I might want to sit on the balcony. However, at value and moderate resorts, I don’t find myself sitting on the walkway outside the room nor do I like to keep the windows open while people are walking by, so I’d rather be close to whatever form of transportation (car or bus) that I’ll be using most frequently, so I wouldn’t pay extra for a view (and, often prefer to be close to the parking lot).

2 Likes

Some people spend more time in their rooms than others. Isn’t it great that there are options for a variety of travel styles?

9 Likes

I have never paid for a view, even at AKL. Actullly, I tried once, and booked a CL savannah room- that did not go well.

1 Like

I agree. We are standard view kind of people. I have done savanna view rooms at AKL, but realized it wasn’t worth it because the animals didn’t tend to be out when we were in the room.

1 Like

Contemporary and BLT are, as already mentioned, worth to splurge on. The castle is lit through the night, sometimes you’ll see them testing projections through the night, the water pageant is a nice addition. Also, falling asleep and waking up to seeing the castle is an experience in and of itself. Finally, if you get back to the room early, you can watch fireworks from the balcony.

Funny thing is that view also comes with cars and a roadway.

(the castle and space mountain are WAAAAAY closer than what it appears here in this photo)

7 Likes

At resorts with balconies in the rooms or deluxe with inside corridors, sure-everyone has different ideas of what is important but I really don’t get the premium views at the mods or values as there are hallways out each window and people are walking by thru the view.

1 Like

Why are some people willing to pay for club level? Why would anybody pay for a dessert party to see something that’s already included with the price of admission? Why are some people willing to pay more for a Lincoln while turning up their noses at a nearly identical Ford?

It boils down to personal preferences coupled to disposable income. We’ve tried a few view upgrades when we were able to snag deep discounts. They were neat, but they didn’t add enough to our overall experience to make it worth paying the customary upcharge. However, if I had the disposable income to absorb the expense without a significant opportunity cost I would upgrade all the time. For people in a certain income bracket it’s not really a splurge.

3 Likes

We actually spend a fair bit of time on our balcony since we have smallish kids. After they go to sleep, DH and I sit out and have a glass of wine and enjoy the view. We actually paid for a standard view at WL last trip, but were lucky enough to get upgraded to a nature view. It was nice to sit out and watch the boat going back and forth with the Contemporary and MK in the distance. When we booked I told myself I’d be fine with a dumpster view if that’s what we got, but in reality I’m sure it wouldn’t have been as pleasant.

Also, since our kids are smaller, we’re not park open to close people yet. When we were at AKL our kids spent a ton of time on the balcony watching the animals. We’d get food from the Mara and sit out and eat lunch or dinner. So I agree it’s all about your traveling style and what you feel would add value to your trip!

3 Likes

This. For us, we plan to do Bay Lake Tower and REALLY hope we’ll be able to get/afford the Magic Kingdom view. True, we won’t be looking out that window 99% of the time we’re there. But there is something really amazing at the idea that we can sit out on the balcony and watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks, etc.

I also like the idea of seeing Space Mountain, the castle, when we wake up in the morning.

In general, at most resorts, I probably wouldn’t care. And, truth is, we don’t necessarily care enough if it comes down to the money being too high, or having to sacrifice something else in exchange. We do plan, however, that if we do NOT get the Magic Kingdom view room that we’ll instead pay for the Dessert Party. But if we get the room, we probably will skip the Dessert party.

I never would, and I can’t imagine paying for deluxe hotels when we basically just sleep there. But different strokes for different folks.

2 Likes

Why?

Me, neither! :wink: Except for in 2020, our 25th anniversary. Just my wife and I. I expect we’ll go back to our room more often than if we had kids to rest/relax during the day. With kids, it is always “push, push, push!” with getting through things. This time it is just about US enjoying ourselves.

But will I ever do it again? Well, not at this price. Maybe for our 50th!

2 Likes

(Hmm. I just realized how much @missoverexcited and @PrincipalTinker look alike…)

2 Likes

That’s funny, usually people with kids go back to the room more for naps.

1 Like

The ONLY time we’ve ever gone back to the room for naps in all my trips was on our honeymoon. (Okay. I’ll admit…it wasn’t REALLY for naps. But we did go back to our room…)

But with kids, we prefer to get through the day and then leave earlier if we want so that we don’t have to return.

3 Likes

Very long story that included me never getting a CL room and Being treated in a way that even almost two years later can make me cry. Example: CM: If you wanted a hairdryer in a room you should have requested that before check in. We do not have those in the room to save energy. Me: I don’t understand. The hairdryers are kept in a bag under the sink? Response: eye roll…CM: Yes, I know you paid for a CL room but there were other guests…

Someday I may actually use the voucher I have for a 2 night CL stay at any resort I received after this stay. I never asked for the voucher but it did come with an apology.

3 Likes

My wife and I have that exact discussion every time. It makes no financial sense whatsoever. But we always end up talking ourselves into a deluxe or DVC resort.

Kind of like choosing to buy Kraft Mac & Cheese, despite the fact it is more than twice the cost of buying the store brand. We’re perfectly happy with the store brand…but we’re perfectly HAPPIER with Kraft. :wink:

1 Like

Well I never will. I’d stay in value but we have to stay at a mod to get free dining in the U.K. and when I stayed at POFQ I knew I’d never want to stay anywhere else.

2 Likes