What happens when you do everything wrong?(Click here to find out.)

We are heading down to WDW for a thrown together, last minute trip next week(2/7-2/12). There are several things in our plans that I have read on many “never-to-do” lists over the years, so we’re just going to treat this as an experiment, and see what happens. In the wise words of a certain podcaster that I listen to, we’re going to “raise our standards and lower our expectations”.
Just a few of the Disney planning crimes that we are about to commit:
:x: We will (1) be flying a low cost carrier(Allegiant) to (2) Sanford International Airport. Unfortunately, we do not currently have any non-stop flights out of Asheville to MCO. The closest would be Charlotte which is 2 hours away. We live literally 2 minutes from AVL, so I’d rather take the 1 hour drive on the destination end. The flight is only 1.5 hours, so tiny seats shouldn’t bother us too much. We have Quicksilver booked for airport transport, and luckily booked before the crazy price increases. We requested the 30 min grocery stop, but I think that I’m going to place a curbside order at Publix Sunday night, and just have the driver pull into the curbside pickup and have them bring it out. I am packing a collapsible cooler and 24 hour Ice packs in my checked luggage because our hotel will check your bags pre-check in, but doesn’t have refrigerated storage.
:x: We are (1) staying off-site @ Signia Bonnet Creek & (2) will be using non-Disney shuttle transportation exclusively,. One of the impetuses of this last minute trip was to burn through some of the billions of Hilton points that accumulated over the period of pandemic non-travel, so we are paying $0 for hotel costs on this trip. We are staying on points, so we don’t have to pay resort fees, and will have $30/day in food & bev credit. In the past, we have stayed exclusively in DVC villas, so I’m a little worried . The size of the villas and the ability to do laundry are the things that I think I will miss the most(Hilton has no laundry facilities).As opposed to the larger family trips that we normally take, however, this time it is just the kids(7/12/14) and myself, so it shouldn’t be too bad.
:x: We are not planning to purchase Genie+ or ILLs for any of our park days. As I believe was mentioned on another thread, we will have DAS for my son and I don’t want to have to juggle too much on my phone whilst alone with 3 kids. I had the kids(and myself) choose 3 experience priorities each for the trip. That means that we have 12 total things that are “Must Dos”.
Mine: Philharmagic
Grand Fiesta
FARTS Booths
DS(14): ROTR
Space Mountain
Star Tours(DAS Pre-selection)
DD(12): Disney Springs
BTMRR(DAS Pre-selection)
Monorail
DD(7): SDD
HM(DAS pre-selection)
Shopping World Showcase

Will we get it all done? Will we crash & burn? Will we get washed away at MK on Tuesday by the monsoon that is being forecasted? Follow along to find out…

29 Likes

I think you’re going to have a great time! It’s all about the attitude.

6 Likes

Also, I will try to give specific feedback on Signia Bonnet Creek & DAS touring with no genie+ or ILLs as I don’t think we have a lot of information on the boards regarding either of those yet.

5 Likes

You made those decisions for good reasons. I see absolutely nothing wrong with your plans. Chin up! You’re going to Disney World.

7 Likes

Looks like you have a great mindset to focus on a few priorities and see what other magic happens. Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time!

2 Likes

Really looking forward to following along!

Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

which one is that?

I like this trip opener. I’m curious to see how your Never Do crimes pan out!

3 Likes

Charlottean here! I have a friend who flies Allegiant all the time from Concord to other FL airports and has never had a bad experience. I think you’ll be fine. Also I love DD7 already bc we have very similar must dos.

1 Like

I think you are in good shape. It stinks that Spirit pulled out of AVO. That was a nice flight. Samford is a little bit more of a haul but with a shuttle service you are only tacking on maybe 20-30 minutes. So no biggie really. And I am sure some good planning will get on those attractions. Shuttle from Bonnett shouldn’t be much different than bussing from Pop or AoA or ASM.

2 Likes

One of " The Minimalists" (JFM, I think?)
Is it wrong that I’m kind of excited to commit crimes against Disney planning😈. Perhaps whatever the trip is lacking in magic may be made up for in serendipity;)

6 Likes

She is a fun one! I have a sister in Charlotte, so I make that Trek up 74 pretty often. I lived there for 1 year after college, but WNC is more my speed😬

1 Like

Thanks! We have always driven down, but I always kept that direct MCO Spirit flight in my back pocket. I was so bummed when I noticed that Spirit had pulled out during the pandemic:(

I think that was formerly the Hilton at Bonnet Creek. You can’t compare this to a Deluxe Villa! But the rooms are spacious. We stayed there in 2019 (also on points) and took mostly Lyft to go back and forth to the parks.

Sounds like a good paced plan. I was in DLR earlier this week and hated being on the app constantly.

Have a fabulous trip!

2 Likes

Sooooo…Quicksilver called me just now(7:40pm) to let me know that they had to cancel my towncar that I had scheduled 12/28, so we no longer have transportation from Sanford when our flight arrives at 8:20 tomorrow morning.:rage: They generously offered to send the SUV that they do have for a $200 upcharge. I am so pissed. Does anyone have recommendations for alternate services that may be available last minute? I had a really sketchy incident with rideshare once, so I would like to avoid if possible.

Wow that’s terrible. No advice but I’m sure someone will.

2 Likes

I just booked a mears SUV. It was at least $100 less than what quicksilver was quoting me & includes gratuity. I swear that I think that they had an opportunity to book our slot at their now higher rate, and just cancelled:(

7 Likes

:open_mouth::rage:

That is unacceptable!!

5 Likes

Or maybe they have had an increase in volume they aren’t used to and genuinely screwed up

I’d like to believe that anyway.

I’m glad you’re all set.

1 Like

Duuuuuude, I was in tears after I got off of the phone.

2 Likes

I’m sure!

I’ve been sending so much work their way! They better let this be a one off

3 Likes