What happens if a ride breaks while in line?

I got the feeling they felt bad for us as we were sitting in the blazing sun for a bit of time. It was extremely hot out.

We did get paper fast passes on our last trip in 2016 when 7DMT broke down. We were in the FP line at the front of the queue and got nothing automatically. The CM gave me those because DH had already had to get off his ECV and she was worried he was going to fall. Others behind us were told if they chose not to wait they’d get nothing. We said we’d wait but the CM whispered to me to come to the side out of view, and gave me 3 anytime paper fast passes.

That’s awful.
We were stuck on POTC for an hour once and were eventually evacuated off the ride and backstage. But we all got 3 fast passes for it.

I have twice used a Fastpass and had an attraction go down before I loaded. Both times, I lost the FP (they were both lower tiered attractions). Once, at EP I asked if I just lose the FP and the response was, “no, you can go to a guest service- they are all over the place”. Well, you know that is not true, and honestly it was not “worth it” to stand in line.

Both times, I have lost the fast pass.

2 Likes

Test Track went down just before we boarded 2 weeks ago. We had used FPP. We waited probably 20 minutes before bailing as we had other things planned. We had asked the CM about getting an anytime, and they scanned our bands and added them. However, probably 15 people left in front of us, and they were not offered anything, no paper FP or an anytime. We only got it because we asked. If you just left and didn’t think to ask, nothing was offered.

This is actually my experience too if the ride has broken down while we were in line (not on the ride yet). I just had it happen to me in March and I even asked a CM about it. The response was that we could either wait in line until the ride was back up or get out of line and lose the FPP (since we had already tapped in).

1 Like

What further complicates this is that the ride can be listed as “broken down” (in a sense) for something as simple as they had to stop the ride in order to give more time for a person in a wheelchair, etc. I’ll see this happen a lot in MDE when looking at rides. A ride will show up with a wait time one moment, then it shows it as down, then a minute later it is back up. This isn’t a true break down! :slight_smile:

Anyhow, based on reports here, it sounds hit or miss, but that your best bet is to ask if it happens, and you might get lucky.

For reference, typically other amusement parks do not offer anything for similar situations, and they actually have policies written that say so. You could have been in line 1.5 hours, and if the ride breaks down, you either stand in line hoping it comes back up, or you get out of line and you’re out of luck.

In December, I had a FPP for 7MDT and it went down just before I was to be sorted into a car. Closed the ride down and let us out but got nothing from it.

Guess it kinda depends on the CMs at the time.

1 Like

Really amazing that you lose the FP.

I guess it is important to realize that the FP is a potential benefit, not a right, as far as Disney is concerned. So, if you don’t get to use your FP, they don’t see that as a loss, but merely an inability to use a benefit.

To us, as guests, however, we see the FP as having inherent value, since we’ll fight to the death to obtain them! :wink:

We do?

er… I mean… YEAH! …WE DO!

Good point!

Sure enough. In fact, most people think that race track you pass when entering the Magic Kingdom parking logs to the left is just a race track, when it actuality it is a Hunger-Games style arena where the champion comes up with an extra Fast Pass!

1 Like

Ok… serious moment: there’s a racetrack? Is it open to the public?

…asking for a friend.

There was. They shut it down.

Both times for me they evacuated the buildings.

And yet if a ride goes down 5 minutes before your FP window opens, you get an anytime FP to compensate you for the inconvenience. But the guest who has tapped in and waited in line 15 minutes gets nothing.

3 Likes

This sounds like a situation where I have to put on my daddy hat.

“Now, now. Just because your friend got something, doesn’t mean you get it, too. You need to be HAPPY for your friend. Okay?”

:slight_smile:

(Did it work?)

1 Like

Gotta admit though, when that happens, it feels like you just won a prize. “NOW I CAN RIDE ANYTHING!! YEEEEAH!”

2 Likes

No. And it shows that Disney don’t see not being able to use your FP as something insignificant. They know it’s a big deal. They need to have consistency.