What Do You Like to See in a Trip Report?

Yeah I remember that one too. It is very interesting what Liners consider hacks vs cheating/stealing/etc.

3 Likes

Exactly!!!

2 Likes

Yes I remember it too.

2 Likes

Ha! Chat and the forum are not the same!

If you are talking chat, that could happen weekly :grinning: There are many liners on chat that will never log into “that forum”. I think there are many liners on the forum that also don’t go to chat. I am sure the chat liners don’t want to be responsible for anything said/done here.

I know for a fact I never want to be responsible for what is on chat (just my personal opinion).

@Flavita, I think you are looking for a thread here where someone was upset about us repeating Backside of Magic strategies.

5 Likes

@jheller. If your post is about chat, this thread’s main focus is regarding the Trip Report section of the forum (although I suggested the LaCava section too).

This one?

1 Like

:rofl::clinking_glasses::sunglasses::raising_hand_man::tropical_drink:

4 Likes

Whew! This led me on a whole rabbit trail of forum fun this morning. Not only did I get to see the heart chart and learn that Z1 is NOT a keyboard shortcut, but I also got to read up on you somehow being tied to @ryan1’s yang? Wow. This morning has been quite an adventure

10 Likes

I just want to reiterate that while I use the Forum, DH likes to use the Chat. Please don’t hold me responsible for any posts on Chat! :laughing:

9 Likes

It’s interesting that there is this separation. I know there are a few of you here who crossover. I personally only head over anymore when I need a stat response or something that has been asked here that folks can’t seem to find the answer to (super rare, but happens).

I was an early adopter of the forum and I almost never looked back once I came over. I find it easier to follow and for conversations to really develop (like the what’s a snack discussion). And I think it’s a bit easier, by extension, for friendships to form. Can’t say that doesn’t happen in chat because some of my oldest (yes I said it @BGK - you’re older than me!! HAHA!) friends from TP were found in chat. But I think this place (forum) just lends itself more naturally to friendship formation.

9 Likes

I’m in the never use chat group. I honestly didn’t even know it existed, but likely wouldn’t in the parks anyway since I try to experience the parks with the occasional Insta posts.

2 Likes

I agree when I started 2 years ago on TP I used the chat but once I found the forum I barely looked back. The forum allows for more stories and expanded answers. I felt chat was short responses and everyone starting the same thread about ROTR BG. Ha.

5 Likes

There are definitely some life-long friendships that have been formed through chat. I think I continue to go to chat because of what was.

I also think that some of those life-long friends came to the forum in the beginning as well, and expanded that group as connections grew and changed.

I too have been here every day- through the drama of the beginning and after. I have also been on chat every day before/after.

I hope a major difference is that here people generally do not purposely try to put each other down for fun? Just my opinion.

7 Likes

What is “ethical” at any given time is entirely situational. If it benefits “Liners,” puts one over on the normies, and doesn’t explicitly violate any law, then it’s “ethical.”

6 Likes

Are these non-liners?

2 Likes

More generally speaking, anyone (in a Disney context) who doesn’t have some kind of not-generally-known knowledge that improves the touring experience.

What I mean by “puts one over” is, for example, when someone in Forum or chat is recounting an instance where he or she observes a family having a meltdown or some other unpleasant experience because he or she didn’t know about some kind of trick to shorten a wait or get a reservation. I’m not talking about times where the someone being observed is having a red-faced fit at some cast member, or is bellowing about the towering injustice of whatever minor inconvenience he or she is experiencing. I mean the run-of-the-mill family which, for any number of perfectly valid reasons, didn’t plan their trip like Eisenhower did the Normandy invasion, and is having a visibly unpleasant time as a result.

5 Likes

Ahhh… TY. I had a friend text this week to tell me their family was going to DL and had PH, park res and asked what else they should think about. I told him where to go online to prepare and learn about all the virtual ques. We toured w/ them one other time at DL so they know some and used MaxPass effectively but things have changed. He also asked about DAS b/c he has a nerve condition that makes standing for any length of time unbearable. He hates asking for help but I told him that’s what DAS is meant to do.

2 Likes

And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with planning one’s trip like Eisenhower did D-Day. In the words of Jefferson, it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. @OBNurseNH planned her family’s trip, by comparison to my degenerate touring style, to such a degree. Her WDW time is much less frequent, and comes at a much greater monetary cost, than mine. Her family does well with the structure. It makes sense for her to plan that way.

At no point, either in this trip report or in person, did she demonstrate any triumphalism over people waiting in line, or looking forlornly in the window of some restaurant. First off, it’s just not in her nature, but I also can’t imagine where she’d ever find face-ing someone like that enjoyable. I’ll go out on a limb further and say that’s why her trip report was so appealing.

When we went to Homecoming on Friday the 2nd, their (likely Open Table-based) reservation system had eaten the reservation she had in MDE, and that sent to host into a tailspin of frantic tablet-tapping.
I happen to know the general manager (I’ll freely admit from spending many, many hours at the bar there), and he’s very good at his job. So I bipped inside to where he was standing near the kitchen, mentioned the general scene of higgledy-piggledy unfolding outside, where it was also starting to rain, and within seconds he was on the radio telling the host to send them inside and to a table he had. Did I enjoy the hell out of being able to do that? Certainly. Am I overly smug about how much I enjoy telling this story? Absolutely. Did it come at a cost to anyone else? Absolutely not. It was Homecoming’s fault the reservation went missing.

15 Likes

Just when I had forgotten again. :rage::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I agree, when we were traveling at great distance and expense I was very planned and structured. Now it’s much more relaxed; driving over for half a day is a very different trip.

4 Likes