What do you do when you aren't busy planning your next Disney Trip

We called my Czech grandmother Babi, but sadly that didn’t stick for any of our kids and my Mom.

1 Like

I’m an IT & Security Director for a water utility.

Work on the family genealogy, lots of reading, some writing, photography, strategy games for fun (when I can talk people into playing.)

Kids are DD11 and DD15, so DW and I have plenty of chauffeuring etc to do. Each Fall now I am now apparently a semi-professional HS marching band chaperone.

4 Likes

What kind of strategy games do you like?

You forgot to add spreadsheet master to your list of jobs

3 Likes

All kinds - have been trying with little success to get kids to play the New York 1901 Board Game I got for Christmas last year, like classics like Stratego, Risk. Also faster games like Mancala.

One of my favs that hardly anyone appreciates and you don’t see around is Terrace.

Do you have any favorites?

1 Like

just looked that New York one up on Board Game Geek. It looks very fun! It’s won some awards, too. I love those placement-style games.
We’re big board-game nerds in our family. My favorite lightweight one recently is Azul

I could talk games for hours… I’ll try not to derail this Disney conversation too much… but have you seen Villianous? We picked that one up a couple weeks ago. The theme is very fun!

3 Likes

Yes! I stuck Villanous on my possible list for Christmas this year.

I like to get one for the family each year, (although at this point it is probably mostly for me and partly for DD11. DS15 can’t be bothered unless snacks are served and pixels are moving.)

I saw Azul mentioned on the Mensa Select list this year - looks really good! My wife just asked me what I wanted for my birthday next month, I might have to send her a link to that.

BTW, I originally found the Terrace game I mentioned before on the Mensa list way back when it first came out. A great place to find games if you haven’t looked there.

Oooh, just thought of another that we went crazy with a few years ago: City Square Off. Besides the rules that came with the game (position the various pieces on the board based on pulling cards from the deck, try to be the last one with space left on board.), we also like to see who can fill up the entire board in the shortest time, with no spaces left on the board using whatever pieces you want…

2 Likes

Argh, Just looked at that City Square Off game and see it isn’t made anymore. Too bad. If you can find one, worth it!

1 Like

City Square Off looks a little bit like Santorini to me. We borrowed that one from a friend for a weekend and played the heck out of it. :smiley:

Looking at last year’s Mensa titles, I’ve played two of them: Clank and Harry Potter. Clank was definitely the better of the two.
None from 2016, but three from 2015! Ludwig, Dragonwood, and Lanterns. They’re all very different types of games, and each is good for it’s own reasons.

Ooh this is fun to look at. Definitely better than writing reports for work!

2 Likes

I’m retired but previously was enrolled to practice before the IRS representing retirement plans. I currently am a support person for our church primary programs and the director for a week long summer day camp. I love to scrapbook, garden, read and plan trips not necessarily Disney. I have 6 grown children all married and have 14 grandkids with 1 more on the way.

3 Likes

We go over to another family’s house for board games most Saturday night. Our current favorite is Root.

1 Like

I’m an elementary music teacher. Just me and the dog at home right now, but I’m happy to be roommate-free for the first time in 3 years.

I had non-Disney hobbies, but they’ve all fallen by the wayside lately as I’ve started planning my next Disney trip.

3 Likes

I am lucky enough to work with some of the most interesting, creative, intelligent, funny, motivated and caring people…my students. This is my 30th year teaching first grade. I share my life with my DH and DD18. Although they don’t quite understand it, they are very supportive of my Disney dreams!

4 Likes

I LOVE first graders, with their missing front teeth, so cute! (I am a school nurse K-3)

5 Likes

My son has moved on to second grade and his new front teeth still haven’t finished coming in!

3 Likes

I need this game in my life… of course, it would be better with minatures (to paint!), but it’s going on my hubby’s list right now. :smiley:

1 Like

And yet, my son was 8 and the last of his molars, including his 12 year molars were in! Amazing how different kids are from each other! He hated that there would be no more visits from the tooth fairy. I hated that I had to pay for the molars other kids lost in their post tooth fairy years, lol.

2 Likes