What do cheap soda drinkers do in the parks?

People say this all the time. I honestly don’t notice any “taste” with Dasani or for that matter most bottled waters at all.

I do love SmartWater but $$$

3 Likes

To me Dasani (and many bottled waters) taste soapy, like soft water. It could be particular to my taste buds (similar to the cilantro thing?) but in any case, I’m not a fan.

I am totally with the soda drinkers here, it is basically all I drink (diet dr. pepper for me)

I am heading back to WDW in November for the first time since 2016. It is funny that you all say the water is worse at WL. I have a clear memory of being at Whispering Canyon and thinking even the soda had a funny taste which I figure had to do with the ice. I am all in on bottled beverages wherever I can get them in FL

I’m no water snob, although I can definitely taste differences in water. So, for example, I can tell you that I prefer spring water to distilled/purified water…but if you give me either, I’m fine with either. I also generally don’t find most water, even from drinking fountains, to be a problem UNLESS the water is room temperature/warm. If it is cold, though, I’m generally good with it.

So, I’ve not noticed really that the water in Florida, nor WDW specifically, tastes “bad”. Some tastes better than others, but none of it tastes bad to me.

I am an outlier here. To me all water is annoying. Therefore I don’t care what it tastes like. If it’s actually dirty, no I don’t want it; but water tasting different in different parts of the world has never bothered me more than the fact that here I am drinking water anyway.
:droplet:

All that said, joking aside, I am extremely grateful that I live in a day and a place where clean, safe water is an expectation and something readily available.

11 Likes

Another twin. It is my only vice, I have been able to drastically cut back because I have become a fountain soda snob. Bottles and cans don’t cut it, but it means a daily morning run to McDs for a large Diet Coke.

4 Likes

McDonald’s has the best diet coke!

1 Like

I actually have a soda fountain machine sitting in the garage. It needs a refurb and new hoses, etc. I’ve been thinking about it lately, as in making it functional. It is a coke one with 5 heads on it.
I got it for free from a friend of mine. He ended up with some restaurant supplies.

There is a reason you like McD’s. They have more syrup and more pressure.
The pressure goes away quickly, but that is why glass bottle sodas taste better. They can ramp up the pressure in glass. 2-liter bottles have the lowest pressure. In taste tests, they can get coke drinkers to prefer Pepsi and vice-versa by ramping up the pressure of the non-favored brand.

Another reason to ponder the soda fountain.

6 Likes

I don’t necessarily prefer McDs taste – I also like ChickFilA. I do prefer McD’s dollar soda over ChickFila’s 2.19 large soda, tho.

2 Likes

@ryan1, DH’s aunt lived outside of Plant City, west of WDW. Her shallow well produced very sulfury water. I once washed my hair at her place, and washed it again ASAP in less sulfury water. I’m quite sure it’s possible to get used to it . . . Eventually . . . :smirk:

@qwerty6, when traveling as a kid, it was quite common to get a case of gastrointestinal difficulty in new areas. Lots of inventive names like Rocky Mountain-itis. I realized a few years ago, we seldom deal with that any more. Or adjusting our vehicles’ carburetors for different elevations. Such wonderful homogeneity.

2 Likes

Hehe…well, I can only speak to the specific water I’ve sampled. Certainly not saying it is fully representative of the “flavors” out there! :wink:

Right you are!

1 Like

The thing is that ChickFilA has an odd taste I just cannot handle. It almost tastes like… ugh, can’t put my finger on it…

Anyway, I don’t go there.

1 Like

I never feel like my hair gets clean at WDW.

3 Likes

When they are hot and fully cooked I agree!

1 Like

The shampoo WDW provides is awful. You have to use like 3 times the amount you would normally use. We brought it back, and it was the same at home, so I know it is the shampoo, not the water! (Or, not JUST the water!)

I always take my own shampoo, it’s the water.

2 Likes

I’ve been known to buy a gallon jugs of water in Florida and after a shower I’ll give my hair a rinse with it and my body a sponge bath. I also fell in love with a salt water pool while there.
The family knows that I’ll be taking a long bath/shower as soon as we get home from FL.

2 Likes

Bottled water all tastes the same to me, but you can bet I drank about 4 bottles of Smart Water a day when I stayed a GDT CL. Gotta get my money’s worth!

5 Likes

I completely agree with this. My hair always takes a few days to recover from the Disney showers.

3 Likes