What do cheap soda drinkers do in the parks?

Sort of on topic (:joy:), I found this article interesting:

Exactly how much water is healthy differs between populations and even from person to person, however. Currently there are two different recommendations for water intake, which includes water from food. The first, from the U.S. National Academy of Medicine, recommends 3.7 liters of water a day for men and 2.7 liters for women, while advising pregnant and lactating women to increase their intake by 300 and 700 milliliters, respectively. The second, from the European Food Safety Authority, recommends 2.5 and 2.0 liters a day for men and women, respectively, with the same increases for pregnant and lactating women.

In fact, water intake varies widely even in relatively water-secure locations such as the U.S. Most men consume between 1.2 and 6.3 liters on a given day and women between 1.0 and 5.1 liters. [1 liter is about 1/4 gallon / 4 cups / 32 fl oz]

Yet it is also the case that two people of similar age and physical condition living in the same environment can consume drastically different amounts of water and both be healthy, at least in the short term. Such variation may relate to early life experiences. Humans undergo a sensitive period during fetal development that influences many physiological functions, among them how our bodies balance water. We receive cues about our nutritional environment while in the womb and during nursing. This information may shape the offspring’s water needs.

…early life experiences may determine how much water we drink without our being aware of it

In the U.S., around 20 percent of the water people ingest comes from food, yet my work among Tsimane’ found that foods, including fruits, contribute up to 50 percent of their total water intake. Adults in Japan, who typically drink less water than adults in the U.S., also get around half their water from the foods they eat.

I guess my takeaway is that we shouldn’t obsess too much about how much water we drink - just drink when you’re thirsty. You are getting a substantial portion of your hydration from food and beverages besides water. Your body has gotten itself accustomed to the amount of water you tend to drink (and vice versa).

2 Likes

At the risk of igniting the water wars again, :wink: I’d agree with you. I think I shared this before, but I had a medical prof at UCSD who told us, “Just pee clear once a day.” Easy rule of thumb to remember.

I also had a tour guide at Chichen Itza who told us he would drink a lot of water when he woke up, and a lot at night. But none through the day, so he wouldn’t have to use the restroom. He wanted to keep an eye on his tourist flock at all times. I think that’s a good of example of what you’re talking about there with one’s body becoming accustomed to a certain amount.

(Of course, this is for people with normal physiology).

4 Likes

ONCE. A. DAY. !!!
???

4 Likes

CLEAR once a day.
Pee a rainbow all the other times.

4 Likes

Why are you still up?

(Boy I have missed you!!!)

Ahh!! :bulb:

2 Likes

Aye, Cap’n.
Of course, people who take megavitamins or eat asparagus may not be able to follow this rule.

2 Likes

:rofl: Summer holidays. I’m doing my usual school holiday nocturnal routine :owl::owl:

2 Likes

Exactly. :wink:

:rofl:

1 Like

I might be a bit concerned if I were peeing rainbows! :wink:

1 Like

Oh, you all are my people! My very worst health habit is my Diet Coke addiction. I try, but I really have no other vices.

5 Likes

Same. I don’t drink, smoke or drugs. Let me have my one vice.

2 Likes

People always look surprised when I tell them I have a very addictive personality. I drink, but don’t have a problem with it. Never interested in drugs, even leery of the legal ones.
Diet Coke has been it for me. Although, I do avoid video games because they become too much of a time-suck so I suspect that is another possibility.

3 Likes

While i’m fairly particular about water taste - Wilderness Lodge water is awful - the parks’ water from water fountains (prev- covid) was drinkable.

I’d carry one of those small 8 oz water bottles into the parks in a cargo pocket and fill it from a water fountain as needed. For extra hydration I carry a tiny bottle - think eye drop size - of Lyte Show. A drop is all it takes.

1 Like

I’ve never found the water from fountains drinkable, but the iced water from QS always tastes fine to me.

4 Likes

I think the worst drinking water in the parks is at Skippers Canteen. They must get their water from the JC river. :nauseated_face:

5 Likes

And now we know how the backside of water tastes

14 Likes

Still better than Dasani. :rofl:

5 Likes

I am a bottled water snob, so yeah Dasani is at the bottom of the list for bottled water. Skippers Canteen’s water is even worse then that. Yeah I said it.

2 Likes