We're Rewatching all the Pixar Films!

Merida was out best M&G ever, too!

15 Likes

I can’t even describe how perfect this picture is!!

6 Likes

YES!!! :bow_and_arrow:

:sunny:

4 Likes

I can’t find the one where they are comparing tartans.

5 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Yeaaaahhh…l I’m a little more leery of the Merida m&g…. I’m pretty sure she would’ve kidnapped my son if given the chance…

18 Likes

Awww :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

She seems a little close to hubby there, too, but that might be the “man with a baby” effect. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Yeaaahhhh…I think you’re lucky she’s not actively pushing you out of the picture here. :rofl:

9 Likes

I saw that too! :rofl:

2 Likes

Friday, March 3, 2023

Toy Story 2 (1999)

This one is so much fun. I used to watch it all the time but I hadn’t seen it in a decade or two. I was reminded tonight why it was always one of my favorite.

Highlights:

• The opening with the Zurg vs. Buzz video game is one of the best openings of any Pixar film. I love how that story weaves into the main plot throughout as well. Very well done (and lots of Easter eggs for Star Wars fans like me :wink:).
  • There is quite a bit of surrealism that was disturbing to DD3, such as when “Buzz” is zapped to death by Zurg and when Woody has a nightmare. When the video game buzz died, DD3 let out a whimper. :pleading_face:
  • The Woody origin story is amazing. The music from Woody’s Roundup has worked its way into my associations with the franchise. They use it in TSM and Jessie’s Critter Carousel at DL (I had forgotten the critters were actually in the movie!). Woody really seems like a classic toy from the 50s thanks to the backstory they created.
  • The humor is top notch. Some favorites:
    • “Too late, I’m in the 40s. Gotta go around the horn, it’s faster.”
    • “I’m packing your angry eyes, just in case.”
    • “Nobody look till I get my cork back in!”
    • Tour Guide Barbie is funny
  • When She Loved Me is the most brutal and heart wrenching musical number since A Little Fall of Rain
  • The animation is getting even better at this point, but the humans are still creepy.
  • The plot and action is great. I especially love how the airport scene with the luggage tram is framed as a cowboy movie action scene. I don’t think I had fully realized that when I was younger.
  • My kids recognized Wheezy from SDD - that scene was great.
  • The blooper reel in the end credits (also in A Bug’s Life) was a lot of fun. I wish they still did those. Also this is the first time I can remember pausing the movie at the part where Heimlich supposedly is, and sure enough, he’s there!

All the kids agreed this was better than Toy Story, but they couldn’t decide which was better between this and A Bug’s Life. DW and I prefer Toy Story 2. It’s one of my top Pixar films ever. 5 stars.

:star::star::star::star::star:

15 Likes

This has been updated:

6 Likes

So much so that it feels manipulative and I’m not good with that.

That’s probably my own baggage. Maybe there’re lots that feel differently. That’s ok.

5 Likes

I think all movies are emotionally manipulative and sometimes I’m good with that and sometimes not. I think the “not” probably has to do with what we bring to it, as you suggest.

Personally I like the scene, but I can see why you might not. It’s sad and real to me that people grow and leave behind things / people they once loved. Not that they don’t treasure the memory of those things, but they’ve moved forward.

2 Likes

There is that scenario you’re describing.

There’s also the scenario where the treasured things disappeared rather than were outgrown.

Plus I’m not a fan of all those shivering bug eyed dogs and squinty eyed cats ads. At least the music/singer is changed up occasionally.

2 Likes

I don’t know how you rank Pixar movies?! It’s like ranking my kids for me! Except the Good Dinosaur that one sucks and can go in the trash!

6 Likes

We watched this a week before our trip to WDW and I was so glad we did! DS4 hadn’t been on a plane since he was an infant, so we were able to talk about the luggage carts and how the airplane moves in reference to this movie.

AND they were better prepared for TSL, including Wheezy. I think TS2 is a must see if you’re going to WDW.

We LOVE the blooper real :rofl: I think it brings the characters to life and makes you think they are real actors on a set.

8 Likes

I had never seen this movie until a few months ago. For real.

It’s DD10’s favorite and it’s my new favorite too.

10 Likes

I’ll be honest (and I promise this ends with me liking Toy Story 2 so bear with me), I took issue with it back when I first saw it. It doesn’t help that I’m just not a fan of Joan Cusack so Jessie really grated on me. I found her pushy and manipulative, putting her issues on Woody and acting like he was the worst “person” in the world for wanting to get back to Andy rather than go along with them to be a collection.

BUT

This hit me hard despite my dislike of the character. I think it’s part of what eventually brought me around.

It really is a great chapter in the story, and I agree with the things you said that make it enjoyable.

I’m also glad they got rid of the tasteless scene from the blooper reel with Stinky Pete being a creep to the Barbies. That was never funny to me. Now if they can just get rid of the headlight flashing in Cars, I’ll be content. But that’s a complaint for another movie.

6 Likes

This is the hardest thing for me to get past. I have nothing against her, but the voice is hard for me to respond too. Rather heavy. And I just love Jessie so much.

5 Likes