Weird new forum bug on mobile

Yes, that’s the first change I noticed.

I think the suggested topics icons at the bottom are either bigger, or higher up the screen. They kept catching my eye, looking like someone was typing on the post. I’m getting used to that now though :laughing:

I also think that the thread jumping thing is related to reading a thread while sometime is posting a new reply.

1 Like

I’ve always had this occasionally and haven’t noticed anything different. I actually didn’t realise there had been an update.

No, I wasn’t aware. I skimmed this thread, and I don’t understand what the issue(s) are. My high-level takeaway is that scrolling is sometimes weird (but maybe it’s always been that way for some folks?).

Can someone offer more details? We do not have direct control of the forum software, but if something is not working right, I can relay that concern to our provider.

1 Like

My understanding of what’s happening is that there’s been a change (possibly for Android users) and where before if you’re reading through a thread, and new posts come in while you’re reading you would eventually reach them if you keep scrolling. The change is that now it wants to automatically jump to the new post and you loose your place where you were reading. I’ve noticed this when reading the last couple of posts and a new one comes in, the screen will jump a bit.

The problem with this is if you’re quite a bit further back in a large thread and a new post comes in, it tries to jump to the new thread, but looses it’s brain a bit. Then you’ve lost your place and it’s an annoyance.

3 Likes

Just yesterday this happened to me, which never did before. I was going through a thread of about 500 posts (which I had already read previously) on my android mobile. I’m scrolling around the 200 range at a browsing pace, not fast. All of the sudden it starts launching me ahead in batches. Within a few seconds I end up at the end.

2 Likes

Yes, I get the red line.
One of the things the forum has been doing to me lately as well is if I click on “Latest” it pops down to somewhere in the middle of the posts, it doesn’t pin itself to the top. So I have to scroll up to the top to see what is most recent in the Latest listing. If that makes any sense.

This happens to me when I scroll up to relook at a previous response on an iPhone. Super annoying. It’s has been happening for a long time.

I don’t know whether this is totally on-point, but at least one Android scrolling issue seems to be out there:

It’s addressed in a future software release, and I’m not sure when we’ll have that. Thanks for your patience.

I’m on desktop most of the time, but when I am on mobile I use Firefox on Android.

I hadn’t noticed the issue before, but just now sat in the middle of the Matt thread, which is pretty high volume. I saw the post count increase and it jumped me down to the bottom.

Guessing I just never happened to be reading a thread on mobile when a new post arrived before.

2 Likes

I have before. Occasionally the daily thread gets chatty (understatement) and previously you could see the post count increasing as you were reading but it never used to force you to the new posts.

2 Likes

I have a similar thing that’s been going on a few months. Sometimes if I read a thread that’s near the top, when I back arrow to come out I’m 30-50 threads down and have to scroll back up.

2 Likes

Yes and I will add that I notice this happening. It seems to hang up when I scroll (not fast but not slowly) at this red line point. It flashes a bit and it sends me somewhere in the post (usually below to something I haven’t read yet, maybe always but Ill keep an eye out). Definitely noticing on larger threads, haven’t noticed it on smaller threads.

Android user here. Decided not to respond because I have not had this problem. Went to try to read MouseMatts increasingly long trip post and it just started skipping through all the posts…

1 Like

I thought this had been going on for me as well too but wasn’t sure. Ill make note of the count next time.

Wow, I am trying to break myself away from chat and forums for awhile. This may make it easier…a long thread is not readable anymore.

The skippy thing has been happening to this android user also. I noticed it 3 Feb and today, 4 Feb. Had not noticed it before.

Ok this is happening to me this morning on my laptop.

It was NOT happening first thing and only just started in the last couple of minutes.

Dang that’s annoying!

Possibly (guessing here) because first thing, fewer people were posting on the forums, but as the morning progresses more and more people are popping in.

But why didn’t I experience it until now?

1 Like

I just checked unread on the cute ones were left behind TR, I commented on a post where I had left off last. It brought me to the bottom so I scrolled back up (wish it just let you comment without bringing you to the end of the thread). Scrolled with haste but not super fast, screen blinked and it brought me wayyy back to the beginning of the thread.

1 Like