Weight Watchers at Disney

great tip!

1 Like

The fact is Atkin’s is not for everyone. There are many variations including WW. I bought this up because I was able to lose 60 lbs. on it. I can not say it doesn’t take will power or that you don’t have to exercise. It takes a lot less will power and exercise than most. I hate seeing all the people forking out BIG bucks for a plan you can do on your own for free. Their will be those of you that think WW is the cats meow and maybe it is. So by all means if it works for you then go for it. As stated, I have a life time membership which by no means makes it free. Almost everyone I joined with has gained all there weight back but not all. Bottom line is if it works for you that’s fine and I just posted what I did for those of you that couldn’t afford to shuck out all that money to weigh in once a week and shame yourself. Have a great day and enjoy life as I and my wife are doing at WDW, WDW cruise lines, and Universal Studios FL. :sunglasses:

Yeah, I would never pay for a diet so I totally get that! Cutting out an entire food group just wouldn’t be sustainable for me long term.

“Entire” is a big word when it comes to dieting. I understand you all when you say Atkin’s or the like is not for you. My wife likes her carbs as well such as Potatoes and pasta. I eat carbs but mostly protein and everyone needs some carbs .unfortunately too many turn to fat and also make you continually hungry for more. Good luck to all of you in whatever plan you choose and as the original question was, can we eat a lot at WDW or the like and not gain any or very little weight. Yes you can as I and my wife have proved many times. You may remember Julien whomever from Biggest Loser. She also has a book out on walking your weight off where she explains that you actually lose more weight by walking than heavy exercise. As I and my wife walk about 10 to 14 K steps or more at the parks it appears to burn off everything we ate and that is a lot of varies high carb foods. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, that actually wasn’t the original question at all. The original question was tips for following Weight Watchers while at WDW. No one ever asked about Atkins advice for WDW, or for advice about what other diets people were on, or what peope’s opinions were on the Weight Watchers plan, or anything like that at all.

And yet…

4 Likes

I couldn’t find the exact image I remember, but I think WW has a similar graphic to this one.

Try to find foods closest to their original form (tough to do at a theme park! Try to browse menus the night before) and don’t drink calories (we bring Mio to flavor water).

But at the end of the day, if you gain a bit of weight on vacation, it’s not a big deal. Just get up, and make the next day a better nutrition day! Long term weight loss is all about persistence and resiliency.

4 Likes

You are right. the original questions were about WW and if one could follow it at WDW. Because I had done WW and in fact obtained there lifetime membership I added my opinion on the matter. No one asked about the Atkin’s plan being followed at WDW but they did seem to want to know if by walking they could eat more while gaining little to no weight. As I just did this and actually lost 2lbs, I figured I would tell about the plan I have been on for free. Some of you believe WW is the plan of all plans and don’t want to consider anything else. Cool! stick with it if you can. Been there done that. Now if your offended that I brought the low carb diet up I am sorry but it really gets to me the amount people pay to lose weight on expensive plans. Have a great day!

I pay $30 per month for the WW digital plan. I like the RESOURCES provided for the amount of money. I get a big database of great recipes that is updated and a big selection of exercises and workouts that is also updated. For that alone it’s worth it to me. I can afford it. It’s my money. It’s cheaper than my Sling subscription.

I’m sure other people will find the information you provided useful but I’m doing the program I want to do and that is working for me. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I don’t know if you plan on getting groceries, but I always try to have some fruit delivered to my resort. I grab a banana for breakfast and usually have apples on hand for a snack while walking around. Not sure if you can prepack some oatmeal and a container and make overnight oats for breakfast every day?
I usually also will order a kids meal, or grab a side salad with my meal.
Don’t get me wrong, I still splurge and gain weight at Disney, but it comes off fairly easily as soon as I come home and go back to my portion control healthy eating.

3 Likes

Some of the best advice I have seen on the WW disney board is to be mindful of what is a snack and what is a meal. For me alot of what people consider a snack at Disney could be a meal for me…cheeseburger eggrolls for example lol. The children’s meals come with great healthy options.

4 Likes

I should add I’ve never actually been successful tracking but I’ve been successful at not gaining at disney world while on WW.

3 Likes

There was a whole thread dedicated to defining a snack :wink: ok… it didn’t start out as the great snack debate :laughing: Best Snacks at WDW, do you agree? - Walt Disney World / Dining - TouringPlans Discussion Forums

1 Like

Ha! I don’t get on here as often as I’d like…it’s gets me overexcited lmao.

3 Likes

This post had been swirling in my head for a week or so, and so i kinda accidentally went full Liner on this…apologies in advance, lol. In short - you’re right, it’s not just the walking. It’s the combination of walking & standing, and experiencing “thrills” that get your heart rate up.

Let’s assume that many of you, like me, work an office job and are basically sitting most of the day. So I’m awake for 16 hours of the day, and of those, I’m guessing I spend about 2 of them walking around and 1 standing around (making meals, exercising, running errands, showering, doing chores) So that’s 13 hours of the day that I’m sitting. (To recap: 13 hours sitting, 1 hour standing, 2 hours walking)

At WDW, I’m still averaging about 8 hours of sleep a night, but I spend most of the day active - let’s say I still spend an hour in the morning and evening sitting (bus back to the resort, having breakfast, relaxing before bed), and let’s also assume I spend 3 total hours in the park sitting (meals, shows, breaks, etc.) So that means I now have 11 hours of walking/standing in my day. Let’s say 5 hours is pure walking, and 6 hours is standing (in lines, waiting for fireworks, etc.) To recap: 5 hours sitting, 6 hours standing, 5 hours walking.

Let’s break it up even further and say 1 hour of the walking is “brisk walking” because I’m trying to get to SDD at Rope Drop, and then over to my next attraction into line before things get busy in the mornings, and onto the bus ahed of the fireworks masses at park close…

Acc to this calculator tool: Calories Burned Standing vs Sitting Calculator (2023 Update) you burn

• 134 calories sitting
  • 206 calories standing
  • 296 calories walking at a moderate pace
  • 341 calories walking briskly

So this difference means a “normal” day is burning (134x13)+(206x1)+(296x2) = 2,540 calories burned in my waking hours. But a normal Disney day for a rope-drop-to-fireworks-Liner is burning (134x5)+(206x6)+(296x4)+(341x1)= 3,431 calories. So you are burning, on average 891 more calories a day at Disney.

But wait, there’s more! Those numbers wouldn’t include any extra calories you’re burning from pushing a stroller or wheelchair, carrying a heavy backpack, and/or wrangling and wrestling any small humans you may be traveling with. Also, those numbers are based on an “average” 170 lb person. Heavier people tend to burn at higher rates than that as well.

PLUS, there’s the rides. If a ride really gets your heart racing, e.g. Tower or Terror or similar, then that’s burning additional calories too: https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/watching-scary-movie-can-burn-many-calories-going-run/

So all this to say: you’ve earned that carrot cake cookie, damnit! Go wild!

7 Likes

I love this!!!