We need to talk about shoes. Again

Last year I worried a lot about shoes. Comfortable shoes are essential at WDW. As are dry shoes.

In the end I went for Adidas UltraBoost for dry weather, and then Crocs — which I carried around with me all day — for when it rained.

This year I wanted an all-in-one solution and thought I’d found the perfect pair. But after a final field trial today, I’m not so sure.

Also this year I have the added complication of needing a formal pair of shoes for dinner at V&A. I decided to go with a suede pair that I have.

Here are the characters in our story:

At the top are the UltraBoost. These are the most comfortable shoes in the world. They’re basically a sock glued to a big chunk of styrofoam. They couldn’t give you blisters even if they wanted to. They’re really light, too. And breathable. And they’re what I wore last year.

But they’re a sock. When it rains, not so great. Hence the Crocs last year. But I don’t want to go down that route again.

Now, there’s a product called Crep Protect — you spray the shoes and they become hydrophobic: water literally will not stick to them. I tried it on my suede shoes (in the middle of the picture). I put the shoe under a running tap and not a speck of water made contact with the shoe. It just slips right off.

So I’m going to try that on the UltraBoosts. It may not work because the upper is basically fabric. Water may get through the holes. I don’t know.

Now the suede shoes are what I’m wearing for dinner but they are also actually incredibly comfortable. And with the Crep Protect they are utterly invincible against water. I’m thinking I might wear them all/most/some of the time in the parks.

Finally, the ones at the bottom. The ones new this year. Waterproof and all sorts of features. But, well, just not that comfortable. I really wanted them to be, but they’re just not. I’ve walked 4.5 miles in them today (it’s been a hot day here in the UK) and, well, I’m putting my feet up and being grateful for the relief. With the UltraBoost you just don’t need to do that.

Also I love the fact the UltraBoost are basically slip-on/slip off. Easy. Especially at airports!

So I’ll do a water test on the UltraBoost later when the Crep Protect has dried. I think I’m going for those and the suede. (I’m not saying I’ll wear one and carry one. I’ll maybe look at the weather and my schedule and see which is best for any given day.) And a spare pair of socks in my day bag.

Shoes, huh. Who knew someone could write this much about them?

1 Like

You’ve left it far too late to break your shoes in! This doesn’t help you for this year, but maybe next - you need to start with short walks about 6 weeks out, and build up to longer walks. Walking 4.5 miles in new shoes is a recipe for disaster.

3 Likes

I’m not dumb! I’ve been wearing them since I bought them maybe three months ago. I kept hoping I’d like them more. Today was their last chance.

4 Likes

My only concern is that the stuff they sell to water proof things is really bad for you and the environment in general. The pollutants in them basically never break down, but act as hormone disruptors in the body. (They are from a chemical family known as PFAS, which stands for something like Poly-Fluorinated something or other.)

That isn’t to say you can’t/shouldn’t use the spray…only that you do need to use the spray with great care. It has only been recently that they are learning the long term health implications of these chemicals.

Anyhow, back to the shoes…I think long-term comfort is most important, but you should EXPECT there to be rain and chance of them getting wet…and a wet shoe is more likely to cause blisters, etc.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of water friendly sandals. My son has a pair of Land’s End water shoes, dh has Tevas, and I wear some Croc sandals. With Florida’s monsoons at 3pm every day, the water friendly sandals work much better for us than socks and sneakers (or other similar shoes).

(Somehow dd prefers cheap flip flops which would KILL my feet, but apparently teenagers don’t have those issues.)

4 Likes

When we were in FL and the rain started to pour, it was enough that it would run into our shoes let alone walking through the puddles. With a water proof shoe what happens once the water is in it? I think I would go with water friendly sandles (crocs in your case?) Also probably much cooler?

2 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing.

2 Likes

Oh. I didn’t know that.

I did use the spray outdoors, but I can vaguely taste in my mouth, so I guess I’m doomed :frowning:

3 Likes

Ah I missed the final. In that case, you persevered with them too long and should have bought new ones while you had time to break them in.

I just wear flip flops. I’m a fine one to talk about sensible shoe usage!

1 Like

That’s just what I wear and I’m no teenager!

1 Like

I can’t. I just can’t. I’m not known for my vanity — hell I was going to wear Crocs and socks at one point — but I draw the line at sandals!

1 Like

You contaminated both yourself and the ground water. :slight_smile:

I guess this means that now you and everyone else are going to die (eventually).

2 Likes

Nope. Can’t wear those at all. Infinitely uncomfortable. I don’t know how people do it.

3 Likes

Meh. I don’t actually want to live that long anyway. I figure I want to check out at around 70. That’s the age my dad died. Seems about right.

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting you wear them!

1 Like

Curious. What do you have against sandals?

2 Likes

It is impossible to look good in them. Strike that. It is only possible to look bad in them.

1 Like

I would go for the crocs with socks. You can take the socks off if they are wet and easily store an extra pair. If you don’t want to carry wet socks then potentially could be tossed away? And honestly no one will really be looking at your feet. Just don’t wear them to V&A!

3 Likes

I’d say the opposite is true. (Unless you wear the wrong style.)

I, personally, had a VERY hard time finding sandals I thought were comfortable, but they look extremely vacationy and some are quite stylish.

I love my Reefs, although I can’t find the non-flip-flop style I bought that strap to my feet, which is great for long days at the parks. My flip-flop Reefs I love as well, but not for long excursions.

1 Like

I have flat feet and over pronate so a day at WDW in flip flops would leave me limping w/ severe shin splints.

While I have really good sneakers, somehow the Crocs give me the correct support as well so they are my go to at WDW.

They actually don’t look much like “Crocs,” although I have a pink pair that look like the traditional style, but w/ Mickey Heads for the vent holes. :smile:

3 Likes