We may have our differences but nothing’s more important than family - a WDW/UOR trip August 2016

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

Oh I can hardly wait until we can go, but it will be a while! I’m glad he felt a little better that day. Keep the pics and posts coming when you get the chance!

3 Likes

Magic Kingdom 11th August

Amazingly, we were on the bus at 7am the next day to MK for breakfast. Everyone with a reservation before 9.30 could get in the line, and it was pretty long already. The first few people were let in just after 7.40, but then the line stopped. It was nearly 7.50 when the rest of us got in. One of the CMs said there there had been a delay due to set up for filming the coronation of Princess Elena!

This is the ‘empty’ Main St!

It looks better on this one.

We checked in at Crystsl Palace, and were the 3rd family in. The food was great and the characters came round quickly - I was excited, they are my favourites!!

After eating, we quickly headed for Space. Cass tried to pose for the camera but got the wrong side!

Then we rode Buzz. This pic makes me laugh - we were taking it so seriously! But I still got an appalling score!

Then we did Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. It had its moments - not many though! We were supposed to be doing PotC next, then Splash with a FP. But the hub was mental with people crowded to watch the coronation, and it delayed us enough that I didn’t want to take the risk of missing our window, as we’d planned it towards the end. So we did Splash first. We didn’t get too wet, just a light sprinkling.

Then we did PotC. Last time I rode this I got drenched when a wave came over the side, but we escaped this time!

We went back to Space to use our next FP - Cass still couldn’t face the right way in the pic! Joe could though!

Finally for the morning, we went to ride 7DMT for the first time. When I checked the time of our FP on MDE, it had gone! But I had an email saying I had an any time one. It was sent about 15 mins before our window, but here we were and the ride was running, so we got in line. Just as we were at the front, it went down. The CM asked Cass if he wanted to wait in a wheelchair as he’d just had to get out of his ECV, but he said no. A minute later, she took me to the side and said it was going to be down for quite a while, and they didn’t want him standing up waiting. So she gave us 3 paper FP valid for any ride at MK (but not parades) until 31st Aug!

We went back to POFQ, Cass slept and I took Joe to the pool. It was packed! There were towels on every bed except one, so we claimed that. I had a quick swim, Joe had a longer one, then we had a rest too.

We were back at the bus stop around 3.40 - a little later than planned but a bus arrived straight away. But the ramp wouldn’t come down! The driver tried a few times, but no joy, so he told us he would get another bus to come. 5 minutes later, another bus came. This one couldn’t even open the doors!! The driver struggled with it for a few minutes, trying to force the doors open, but he couldn’t. He apologised, and said he’d get another bus. By now I was panicking about our 4.30 BOG ADR. He went back to the front, and then he tried again and the doors opened! We got to BOG at 4.29!

We were seated in the West Wing which we loved, though it was so dark!!

We all had steak which was delicious. Joe asked for his without garlic butter and it arrived with it, but it was quickly changed for him. For dessert I had the strawberry cupcake, DH had the lemon, and Joe had an eclair. We were stuffed! Then we met Beast.

We came out to torrential rain and thunder, it didn’t seem to be affecting the crowds though! We had FP for Winnie the Pooh, DH wouldn’t ride and Joe hated it! After that I took him to Hall of Presidents - at his request!! Cass said he wasn’t well and just wanted to sit quietly somewhere, so it was just the two of us again. He loved it! I was so surprised! I bet he couldn’t name 5 British Prime Ministers, and I can’t imagine him watching a show about them.

Next I had FP for Haunted Mansion. Joe and Cass both pulled their face at that, so I suggested they went back to the hotel to watch TV and relax, and they went for it! I was shocked DH agreed to it. But so pleased, as I had an evening in Fantasyland planned and I wouldn’t have to listen to them moaning!

So I did Haunted Mansion.

Then I got a FP for Under the Sea. I was tempted to do the m&g too, but I knew Cass would worry if I was too long, so I just did the ride. First time on this, I enjoyed it but was glad I had FP!

Next I saw Philharmagic. I had the cutest little boy next to me who just struck up a conversation, he was amazed by it all and I thought it was pretty great too, I had a good sing along! Lastly, I had a FP for Small World. I was in the front all on my own, with 3 intensely annoying kids (early 20s) behind me. By the end, I knew far more about them than I wanted to! If it wasn’t MK, I’d say they were drunk. Maybe it was their natural exuberance…

I wandered round enjoying the ambiance, but I knew I had to go. Just time for a couple more pics.

I went to the bus stop, which was at the furthest end. I was all on my own, there was nobody at any other bus stop near me, and I waited nearly 30 mins for a bus - it was a bit spooky even though there were buses around… After 20 mins some other people arrived, but I was glad to get back to the resort!

17 Likes

Typhoon Lagoon/Raglan Road 12th August

This will be a very short update!

We hadn’t planned which water park to go to, we had a lie in and then I let Joe pick over breakfast. He picked Typhoon Lagoon, because it opened earlier - 9am instead of 10am. I didn’t point out that it was already after 9 when we got in the bus, since I wanted to go there too! Cass stayed at the hotel.

There are no pics from our morning, as I didn’t want to bother renting a locker - we just went with pool towels, suncream and our magic bands - we already had our costumes on! We did see a photo pass photographer near the entrance but I didn’t want to waste time as I wasn’t sure we’d find chairs. We managed to get one sun bed and one chair in a fairly shady area just near the wave pool.

It was such a hot day!!! We did most of the slides - Mayday Falls, Keelhaul Falls, storm slides, Humunga Kowabunga. Then we got in the pool. Joe’s a really strong swimmer and he loved it, but it was a bit rough for me! We stayed in for quite a while though. Then we did a circuit of the lazy river, which he also loved! From one extreme to another! After that, I got dressed, but I let him go back in the pool for a few more waves. We stopped in the gift shop and he bought goggles and a nose plug - bit late now! Then we headed back to POFQ for lunch.

I honestly have no idea what we did that afternoon. I think I read a book. We didn’t do much anyway.

That evening, we got the bus to Disney Springs to eat at Raglan Road. While we waited, we looked round the gift shop. Then we got drinks outside where there was a singer on.

Typically, we’d barely started our drinks when our name was called! We had a really good table in front of the stage. Joe loved the entertainment!

The food was fab here, but Cass wasn’t well which spoilt it a bit. When we’d eaten, we just had to go straight back to POFQ. We were having an awful lot of early nights!!

15 Likes

FWIW, I have been to many Cheesecake Factory locations and never seen one anything remotely like what’s on the show. It’s something that’s always bothered me about BBT.

3 Likes

There are a couple in the UK but not near us. We just assumed it was faithfully represented in the show! The cheesecake was to die for though, so we got over it!!

3 Likes

Why did you take the bus from POFQ to Disney Springs? I’ve always felt one of the best features of either Port Orleans resort was taking the boat to Disney Springs. Just curious.

Nice report - thanks for sharing…

3 Likes

I’d heard there could be a long wait for ECVs to get on a boat and I just felt it wasn’t worth stressing DH out about him being to blame if we were late. We actually never managed to get the boat there, which I was sad about. We could have one night but we didn’t even think of it by then, it wasn’t in our thinking.

3 Likes

I could see the ECV being a complication I hadn’t really thought about. Thanks…

1 Like

It might not have been an issue but not worth the risk!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for another installment. Its been so much fun to follow along with you all.
So glad you liked Ragalnd Road…
Again…awesome photos…

3 Likes

Enjoyed your report. Especially the parts about the Cheesecake Factory and the little kids with Disneyland shirts! Too funny, long way to California from England! I know the heat can really aggravate MS too, that is a pretty difficult situation to be dealing with.

Did you use the DAS passes for anything? We have a friend with MS who is planning Disneyland for a fall trip because the humidity and heat of Florida 90% of the year is just too much (and we are from Texas where it is HOT!)

2 Likes

We didn’t try to get a DAS as you can’t have them for mobility and we honestly didn’t think it would help with his other issues. We were already avoiding long lines with the touring plan anyway.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m sorry to hear about your husbands health issues, it must be very hard for all of you. You manage it well, being flexible and not minding when plans change is a skill.

1 Like

I think universal would be worth seeing for Harry Potter. I am getting to ride less coasters anymore.

2 Likes

To be honest, I minded but I knew I was being a cow for minding! So I didn’t pout about it.

3 Likes

We absolutely love it! There are a lot of coasters and simulator rides though that aren’t good for everybody.

3 Likes

LOL at Cass looking the wrong way on Space both times!

The Hall of British Prime Ministers challenge: name five! Here goes:
Benjamin Disraeli
Neville Chamberlain
Winston Churchill
Margaret Thatcher
Tony Blair

I love all things English!

5 Likes

Did you stay at POFQ, then HRH, then back to POFQ? Forgive my confusion…

2 Likes

Haha it’s just us being awkward! Most people do one then the other, but we like to mix our days up. Plus we didn’t book HRH until a few months later. So we already had POFQ for 2 weeks 5th-19th. Then we booked just one night at HRH on 9th. It meant we didn’t have to pack up all our stuff, just an overnight bag.

4 Likes