We made an offer (accepted)

Okay. My wife and I have been discussing DVC ad nauseum, watching videos, planning pretend trips, etc, and finally determined that we can make a non-Boardwalk contract work. It appears likely that we can secure at least a split stay for a few days either there or at BCV during the Jan/Feb timeframe at 7 months out (1 bedroom…not really looking at studio). For Christmas trips, we can do Saratoga no problem. So we decided we should consider a SSR contract as well, since we can get one at significantly less per point than Boardwalk.

Well, one came up that was ideal, but someone beat us to it. Another came up not QUITE as ideal, but I offered a little less, and in the end we will end up with 120 pts instead of just 100 at a lower price than anything I have seen at BWV.

So, offer is accepted and we just have to handle the next steps prior to ROFR.

If all goes well, we will have our contract in a couple months with the points needed to do our early December trip next year at SSR 1 bedroom. Yay!

I don’t expect Disney to buy out the contract for the price we are paying, so very hopeful it will go well.

21 Likes

That heart was because I am so happy for you and your wife! Congrats!

3 Likes

Congrats!

3 Likes

Congrats! That’s quite a reverse from just a couple months ago!

2 Likes

Congrats! It looks like you and I could both be owners at SSR in short order if ROFR goes smoothly! Also, I’m glad to hear your contract is 120 points and that it was not me bidding against you on that 150 point contract I picked up! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Not exactly a reverse as much as a change in planned vacation style. This purchase is primarily because DW and I decided we want to keep going back, just the two of us, about every two years, flying down, etc. We could rent points to do that, but over time it becomes just more cost effective this way.

Family trips would likely remain off property as before, driving, etc. Financially is the best idea. Also, fewer family trips would likely be at Disney going forward as our family expands.

4 Likes

I waited until you made an offer to make my own offer! It would be bad if we had a bidding war with each other! “Sorry you had to pay $299 per point for that contract, but I wanted it bad!”

3 Likes

Ha ha, I appreciate the courtesy! :slight_smile: Here’s hoping we both pass ROFR! :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Dang—I remember reading your posts about how you just couldn’t see why or how the DVC math would work for y’all. (This is exciting! More Disney trips!)

2 Likes

In Ryan’s case it sounds like a change in how he plans to use the points (couple vs. family).

For me, I realized that I have now spoiled myself into wanting deluxe on-site stays, and this is the most economical way to do that. Before I had assumed the alternative was a moderate or off-site stay, which I’ve now grown out of. :joy: Money is a blessing and a curse, people. lol

Also, when I run the math, I basically break even assuming a reasonable rate of return on a present value basis. But on a cash basis, it’s very economical, and I can never assume I will achieve a given rate of return so I’m kinda locking in a return, albeit lower than I might get elsewhere.

Also I have cash just sitting around that I don’t want to put in the already-hot stock market, so this is actually a decent place for me to stash cash. And based on the way the DVC market has performed, I’m not too worried about the contract losing value if I change my mind and have to sell. (But yeah right, not like that’s going to happen.)

5 Likes

I made a spreadsheet comparing renting points versus buying, factoring annual inflation of cost of rental points versus inflation on annual dues. With a planned trip about every two years, we can not only stay at a nicer accommodations, but it breaks even at 5 trips. And SSR is through 2054 instead 2042 so even longer term value.

5 Likes

My Poly contract has increased in price by $40/point in just a few months.

4 Likes

Congrats!

I just bought my first DVC contract this year too! (AKV)

We bought for similar reasons (deluxe) and also because our travel party is a minimum of 5 and most often 7, it just made sense to buy in and get a 2 bdr than it did to rent multiple rooms for cash.

@ryan1 - congratulations! you’re going to love having DVC

1 Like

Same here. We are a family of 6 now and will probably bring along one or two people with us (in laws) on future trips. 6 is like the least economical number of people to have - it drives me nuts having to book two rooms when we can still really fit in one if they have a pull out bed and room for a pack n play.

Anyway, having a 2BR is so nice for peace and quiet and for having a kitchen and laundry, and will be about the same as cash for two studios / hotel rooms.

2 Likes

Now we’re looking at adding on contracts because as the kids get older, they are bringing friends/significant others. And also, they are not sharing beds - the though of making my 25 and 21 yr old sons share a room let alone a bed is laughable! And also, DH and I are taking 2 couple trips in addition to the family trip. I say all of this to prepare you for the day in the not too distant future for when you need to add on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If we do family trips to Disney going forward, it will still likely involve house rentals instead still. But we have toyed with the points to see if we might have enough to do something with more family in tow.

2 Likes

Just received word…we made it through ROFR. We are just a couple weeks away from DVC ownership! Woohoo!

18 Likes

I had to “heart” that. Congrats and welcome home! Also, you made it through before the system shut down would have delayed your purchase!

2 Likes

Like.

Welcome Home.

2 Likes