We Can Go the Distance. Road Tripping to Disney

I hope every mile is worth our while. I’m not a fan of road trips, but here we are. It’s myself and my three kids and we’re headed to Disney.

Originally, we were going to do a family trip to Quebec, but my DH received military orders to teach in San Antonio. The kids and decided not to go to Canada without him and instead they wanted to go to Disney (smart kids). But this all happened rather last minute (thank you Army) and plane tickets were crazy expensive so driving was really the best option.

Some of you may remember that drama last month of SW canceling our anniversary flight and DH and I having to drive to Disney. Well, really it was DH who drove. Ummm. Actually it was the magic car that drove. But no magic car this time–just me and three kids. How fun.

I’m slightly terrified of the drive after @QwertySC (so sorry) and her family’s experience. Praying for a better trip. Currently, it is downpouring and I am hoping it clears up soon. We are wanting to leave by 3 pm (CST).

The goal is drive past Atlanta today and then onto Disney tomorrow. In theory we have four drivers on the trip, but I know with certainty that at least one of the kids won’t be doing any driving. I’ll update when I can, but I have a feeling I will be the primary driver.

45 Likes

Wow!! Drive safe and take breaks!

3 Likes

Drive safe!

2 Likes

Hope you have a safe drive. Hopefully it won’t be too bad. Remember that Avery wants me to drive 40 hours with her across this gigantic country in August. Anything less than that should be easy peasy, right?

4 Likes

Wave to me on your way by.
Ours was a once in a life time nightmare, I am sure.

5 Likes

Safe travels!!!

1 Like

Safe travels and have all the fun! Looking forward to following along.

1 Like

@QwertySC clearly there is a trip report I missed–off to search! Hope things got better after the road trip part.

4 Likes

Safe travels! We will be there right behind you!

1 Like

Sigh

5 Likes

Sorry again about the cancelled trip to Quebec. :frowning: But you will definitely have a fantastic time in Disney with the kids. Safe travels and hope it stops raining.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think it might be a slow trip.

3 Likes

Last month, my daughter (20yo) and I drove 8hrs from Dayton, OH to Dubuque, IA. Two days later we drove from Dubuque to South Bend, IN (5hrs) then continued on to Philadelphia (11hrs) the next day.

It wasn’t awful. We switched out driving, encountered far more construction than I expected, and dd and I only argued once.

I should add that our destination wasn’t as fun as WDW. :sunglasses:

Safe travels!

… I just edited some horrifically bad typos and grammatical errors. How embarrassing! :woozy_face:

7 Likes

Thank you. And I will definitely be reminding my kids to be driving safe.

2 Likes

That is beyond painful for me to even think about. If you do it I would make it an epic two week long road trip.

2 Likes

We can’t do it over 2 weeks, unless I want to miss taking Carson to San Diego for his first year move in (and meeting the roommate and such). Only have 5-6 days. Plus the hotel costs for 2 weeks would be more than shipping the vehicle. I am still secretly planning on flying/shipping the car, I just need Avery to get home (2 more days!!) to convince her why we cannot possibly drive.

9 Likes

Until last week I would have been raving about how great the road trip would be.

4 Likes

Road trips can be fun! Drive safe and keep us posted

3 Likes

Safe travels, we’re having awful weather in Florida right now I hope it clears for you guys

1 Like

Safe travels! I hope the rain clears up for you and it’s not too painful of a drive. Hopefully you’ll have at least some assistance in that department :crossed_fingers:. Have the greatest time at WDW! A slow trip to refill your tanks and your happy after your craziness at work sounds like the perfect plan

3 Likes