WDW raises the price of Magicbands by $5

The price of open edition MagicBands has increased by $5.00 at each of the three pricing levels. Coral-level bands are now $19.99, while Bronze-level bands are $29.99 and amethyst-level bands sell for $34.99.

Ouch. Who is paying 40 bucks for something that “should be” free? I’d have a really hard time stomaching that, no matter how cute they are.

I’m also really curious about what “internal or subdural use” means. Are people…implanting them? :flushed:

2 Likes

There actually was a person or two that took the chip and implanted it just under their skin.

3 Likes

I think some actually tried it and was reporting on it. It worked if I remember correctly

3 Likes

Yes just the chip part.
I believe it was implanted in the webbing between thumb and forefinger, and it did work. I don’t know if he ever had it removed.

2 Likes

:grimacing:
I didn’t remember where it was implanted… that sounds painful

1 Like

That sounds remarkably painful. But whatever floats your boat!

1 Like

Well that settles that, for myself and my children, we’re using our bands from 2018. My DH seems to have some strange fear his won’t work, so I told him that he can buy one, but the rest of us are not. We would be paying $100 for something that used to be free. No thanks.

1 Like

I know that Disney knows there are people willing to pay quite a bit for magicbands (or they wouldn’t have made the price increase, or stopped offering free bands with hotel reservations) but they are just too expensive for me. I really want one of the Muppets 3D magic bands, but at $30 it’s above the price point I’m willing to pay. I’d probably drop $20 on that one because it is special, but when there is a viable free option- two actually, because we can get a card or use magic mobile- even that is a lot.

I did just check my magic band options linked to my resort stay coming up, and those prices haven’t increased. So the ones that used to be included are still $5 as they have been since January. It also looks like the themed selections offered to resort guests are the same price as before (I’ve been watching them, but I don’t think we’ll get new this time. We just got some in December.)

4 Likes

etsy and amazon have really cute wraps/decals/covers/vinyl-skins that you can put on to your MB. I’ve ordered some since I have soooo many plain ones I’d like to dress up.

3 Likes

I’ve looked into that. We do each have at least one themed band, some of them no longer work for the distanced readers I’m sure. I think we paid $10 and $15 for them. That muppet one just really caught my eye. I adore the Muppets and that attraction takes me straight back into my childhood. But I guess I’m not a $30 kind of fan LOL

3 Likes

How long do the batteries last? That’s what I’d be worried about if I didn’t know. My kids are fine with the “standard” ones because that’s all they’re getting, ha ha.

He said it wasn’t. I followed the whole thread on twitter. Didn’t seem to be a big deal at all actually

1 Like

The ones you can order with an onsite stay are still $5 though aren’t they? (did not read article). I read this as only being the ones you buy on property.

2 Likes

To unlock your door and tap in at parks and tap for ordering/paying at shops they last like forever (okay probably not but a super duper long time). For ride photos, I think they say 2 years.

@missoverexcited always seems to have this answer at the ready.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: I’ve not seen that one. Love it!!

Yes, I just checked on MDE and the plain bands offered through a resort stay are still $5, and all the character/themed bands are the same price they were previously ($10-20 depending.)

2 Likes

And some of the new colors for the $5 are pretty fantastic. My family all got new ones for June from the new colors.

6 Likes

Yes they say 2 years. But then I always bring up how our new ones (one plain one premium collected at the front desk) didn’t work for photos. So YMMV.

2 Likes

If that the case then I may be ok, but I’m not sure we would need to spend the money just to get pictures. The rest of the band should work from 3 years ago.

1 Like