WDW looking to expand Virtual Queues to include Jungle Cruise and Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news/19oct2020-disney-may-be-about-to-expand-the-use-of-virtual-queue-boarding-groups-at-walt-world-disney-world.htm

This would be a very good use of technology

I do hope they put in contingencies for when their technology fails

3 Likes

The big issue is, what are they planning to do with those people who are no longer standing in lines for those rides? It will make other lines longer, or the walkways even busier.

4 Likes

This is the funniest part of the article, “Disney has successfully managed the demand for RorR.” I don’t think ppl are particularly happy when they can’t secure a chance to ride.

13 Likes

This. Especially at HS they need more places for people to go, not less (even if that go is just a line)

This. You can be in all the virtual lines you want, but when everyone’s waiting, there’s nowhere to go.

1 Like

I saw BlogMickey post similar. What isn’t clear is if this is in addition to or will replace FastPass. We’ve all been talking about FPP’s future and this is a possibility.

1 Like

Kind of like how there are so many people standing outside restaurants grouped together waiting for their mobile orders.

3 Likes

So their plan is to apply the most disappointing “solution” to even more rides.
Maybe they could get some corny one-liners to tell people they’re all out of Jungle Cruise for the day, try again next vacation.

2 Likes

Why Jungle Cruise? Is it really that popular? If I were to guess the top three queues that needed virtual shortening, I wouldn’t have guessed that one!

Maybe it has to do with the way the queue causes congestion with other attractions, dining, etc?

4 Likes

When testing VQ overseas they intentionally chose less popular attraction to try it out on. It’s less disruptive if the testing has issues.

3 Likes

Everytime I look at wait times, Jungle Cruise tends to be one of the lengthier lines. Frankly, I’m not sure why. It isn’t that great. Kind of a one and done. But it is classic Disney, so I think that definitely plays a factor.

2 Likes

This.

IIRC @len reported on the Disney Dish Podcast that when he was there the extended queue for the ride takes up a lot of sidewalk space.

4 Likes

Isn’t there a movie in the works for Jungle Cruise too? Like they did w/ Pirates that became a huge success.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Nice! Hadn’t seen that :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I hadn’t see the trailer, and it looks better than I had anticipated (which, to be fair, wasn’t a high bar)…although, I fear the trailer might have shown us the best parts of the movie! :slight_smile:

1 Like

you never know… but I was thinking, while watching… ‘eye candy for everyone’ :rofl:

1 Like

This movie is ready to go.

First was scheduled to be released in the Fall of 2019, then moved to Summer of 2020 and now is scheduled to be released on July 29, 2021.

Disney has hopes that this could be the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise.

3 Likes