Wdw home for NBA?

I hope that is the case for us as well. And yes, rolling 2 weeks seems to be it, as people saying they ordered with an end of July date.

1 Like

For the love of all things!! Spring Break trip cancelled due to COVID and lost the Polynesian studio. At that point Disney TAs could still rebook, and inventory for TAs is very limited under normal circumstances, so I booked the Yacht Club for check in on 10/14. According to one article, the NBA playoffs will go no later than 10/12! The hotel benefit for TAs is no longer available - for obvious reasons - so if I cancel this reservation, weā€™re done. I enjoy staying on Disney property for a few days, but not at full price.

This is our third reservation - we had to cancel Spring Break 2019 because I started a new job - and if this res gets cancelled then Iā€™m done! I can accept COVID-related cancellations, but not due to the NBA.

What benefit? Are you talking about a TA rate?

The NBA will be long gone from the YC by October.

The NBA is putting the teams with the worst records, ie the ones most likely to be eliminated first in the YC. If one of these teams do make it further in the playoffs, they will be moved to the Gran Destino Tower. The NBAā€™s need for the YC rooms should be done by Labor Day.

When the NBA reaches the conference finals with four teams remaining, they will have anything NBA related located only at the CSR. That most likely will be mid- September.

4 Likes

Yes. The travel agent benefit.

1 Like

Gotcha.

I guess I see the whole NBA thing as a direct consequence of COVID. So by extension I would view your cancelled res - if it is cancelled - as a COVID consequence.

It might bother me more if I had a reservation that would be impacted, but I still feel that I would be happy if my reservation were honored, albeit at a different resort. My expectation right now is that nothing is going to be the way we planned it to be for some time. Iā€™m okay with that. I understand some people arenā€™t.

3 Likes

This made me laugh:

https://twitter.com/RyanKoenigsberg/status/1273018776221446145

1 Like

By then I think the teams will be gone from YC.

The lowest ranked teams are at YC I believe, then the next group at GF and the highest at Gran Destino.

The idea is that after 6-8 weeks the remaining teams will move to Gan Destino.

I think October at YC will be fine. Have you heard otherwise?

That does make sense. I havenā€™t heard otherwise, but Iā€™ve learned to hope for the best, and expect the worst. To be reasonable, this situation is FAR from the worst on so many levels.

2 Likes

I agree. We were more disappointed losing the Poly because Iā€™ve always wanted to stay there (and thatā€™s going back almost four decades). Plus, it is very difficult to find a Disney TA rate there, much less a studio.

If we end up elsewhere, it isnā€™t the end of the world. We want to be on Disney property during the couple of days we plan to hit the parks, hoping that will somehow get us in the parks (Iā€™ve read THAT may not be a guarantee either). However, as back up Iā€™ve got a 2-bed, 2-bath villa off site also booked and for significantly less.

Weā€™ll just see how it all plays out.

3 Likes

Jokic has Covid. sigh

It is being implied he got it from Novak Djokovic, who has seemingly been spreading it all over with his much criticized tour and behavior (including pick up basketball games).

So here we goā€¦

1 Like

I guess the upside for the health of the other Nuggets, NBA and wdw is that he is still in Serbia. he is apparently asymptomatic; but they wonā€™t let him return to the US until heā€™s got an all clear.

on a completely selfish front, the Nuggets really need him. ack! Between this and the Rockiesā€™s Charlie Blackmon testing positive (other Rockiesā€™s players also), there is a lot of sports fan consternation here.

With so many baseball players coming positive, I donā€™t know how they are going to get the season off the ground, even if they come to terms.

1 Like

I read this morning that MLB is starting 7/23 or 7/24. But I also read playerā€™s league refused the offers? I am confused now. Are they trying to go ahead on that date or not?

It does feel irresponsible with so many players coming up + since camps started up

1 Like

Idonā€™t know either. Last night I heard the players union rejected the 60 game plan; but now the commissioner is going ahead and imposing the 60 game season. huh? Not sure how that works and you can actually get the players on board. But looks like itā€™s going forward as long as union agrees to health and safety protocols.

As of Monday, there are at least 40 players and staff of MLB teams positive. Plus, some of the play was to be in FL, and now is being rethought?

Messy. very messy.

Ok so we heard the same thing and are equally confused.

Itā€™s 2020, after all

2 Likes

Thought Iā€™d post some news from the GF although I see no one posted yesterdayā€™s confirmation.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/espn-wide-world-of-sports/news/26jun2020-nba-deal-with-walt-disney-world-finally-gets-the-official-go-ahead.htm

So that news, a new fence (well ugly blue tarpaulin fence) going up at GF:
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1276886302680584194

We have an upcoming stay at GFV. I wonder what this fence means. Are we not going to have access to the main buildings?

I heard a rumor that GFV guests were expected to walk to Poly. Has that been confirmed?

1 Like

I havenā€™t heard that, but seeing that fence makes me wonder if itā€™s true. I might need to change resorts which is so disappointing because we really were excited to stay at GFV.