Wdw home for NBA?

To refer to this as “first world problems” still seems like a gross understatement. :roll_eyes:

Also, the dearth of sports things to talk about.

3 Likes

So very, very true

1 Like

They should bring all the Disney bloggers on for commentary! :laughing:

1 Like

From the descriptions of what the NBA players will have available to them, it sounds like they will be on club levels of the resorts.

Maybe WDW can keep them isolated on the club levels and re-open the remainder of the resorts to park guests.

Wishful thinking!

I just don’t see how they will have enough rooms to house the Trail Blazers, Kings, Pelicans, Spurs, Suns, Wizards players and staff in club level alone.

I guess I should be expecting an email about my room reservation at YC being cancelled

2 Likes

You are probably right, I did a count of the club level rooms and suites and there are not enough for the players alone.

I’m in the same situation with a YC reservation. I wonder where they might move us if we don’t want to cancel. I’ve seen some folks move to the Riviera.

This might explain why Stormalong bay is not re-opening, it will be for exclusive use for the NBA guests.

You have to wonder how they plan to keep guests isolated from the players at the YC. With BC and BWI right in that same area, guests could decide to walk/run around the lake, etc.

Simply place cast member or security at the exits/entrances in that area? Direct the players through one entrance/exit?

It’s one thing for Stormalong Bay to be closed for safety reasons, although that doesn’t make a lot of sense if other pool complexes are open. It’s a whole different picture if I can’t use Stormalong Bay during my BC stay because they are opening it exclusively for NBA guests. They resell our amenity to a higher bidder and we still pay the same price for the room?

2 Likes

It sucks, but amenities are never guaranteed and subject to change or removal at any time. Technically, you pay for the room, not the amenities.
That said, we don’t know that they are holding it for NBA players. It may simply not open. It would be hard to keep in the bubble, because restaurants like Beaches and Cream are right there by it.

1 Like

I’m not sure I buy that. If that was the case, then the rooms that are nearly identical in space/layout/occupancy across different resorts should be similarly priced. But they aren’t. Pricing is also tied directly to level of amenities. People often make decisions of resort based moreso on amenities than room alone.

However, I do believe that they can change those amenities ahead of time to allow a guest to make the decision for themselves whether they want to modify or cancel the reservation as a result. So, in that sense, you’re correct.

2 Likes

This is just my silly speculation, don’t make too much of it.

Looking at a map, it could be closed to everyone just to serve as a buffer zone between the NBA and resort guests.

The NBA could easily be isolated into the Yacht Club and the Convention Center as long as the pool area is closed to the public. The BCV is in a separate building on the opposite side of the YC. The only issue is how allow guests into the various restaurants that are reopening

The Swan and Dolphin are going to be the location for the MLS teams in their own “bubble”.

Boardwalk is on the other side of the lake and can be easily isolated from the YC.

That’s exactly it, the price is justified by the amenities of the resort. However in this case although they are announcing the change in advance, they are not giving guests the option to modify - it’s accept the absence of amenities or cancel your trip. That’s what really irritates me. If we had to option to move elsewhere then it would be different.

So – I assume you are staying DVC?

The DVC pool will be open. That is what your contract pays for. You get the courtesy of being able to use Stormalong, but that’s not what is promised in your contract. Your DVC pool will be open.

No, we are not DVC. But as in my other post I was just told we will likely have to modify. So maybe we can ask for another resort.

This.

A lot of people are jumping to conclusions. Not just @threeprincessesfourprinces and not just about this issue. I considered starting a post today to say, only, that Disney doesn’t like any of this either. They want to offer the best possible vacation they can while still safeguarding the lives and well-being of their cast members and their guests. I don’t mean that they have done everything perfectly. But I assume NO ill intent at any one of the turns that have been taken. The very last thing they want to do is anger and possibly alienate their fan base and potential clientele. I wish everyone would just take a deep breath and step back and acknowledge that.

All we know is Stormalong is closed. Well, also that BC is closed. And in my mind that is what goes hand in hand. Not that the NBA will be using Stormalong.

Just my opnion.

3 Likes

I thought I saw that WDW was also allowing BCV guests to use the Luna Park pool at the Boardwalk as compensation for the loss of Stormalong Bay. Am I wrong?

2 Likes

BC is not going to open. You will be given the option to move resorts.

Yes, this was mentioned.

I think that’s true. Maybe we can just move to BWV then to avoid having to hike to another resort.