WDW for the (over) cautious(ly paranoid)

Good point. The second half of October.

While in Disney I would wear a mask in all public places, indoors and out. If I was living the last 18 months relatively isolated, I would prepare for the trip now by slowly increasing my time in public spaces, moving towards more crowded situations gradually.

1 Like

Just seen this post from a friend on Facebook. Erm …

3 Likes

We were there last week (8-1 through 8-7). I wore an N95 the entire time unless literally no one was around. My kid wore a KF94 all the time. It’s hot. It’s burdensome. Too many people defied the rules and took off masks in the lines and on the rides. It’s actually insane how many folks actively defied the rules - but that’s where we are as a country. There’s no spacing at rope drop, in lines, walking through crowded Fantasy Land. I’ve been vaxxed, my kid has not. We did everything we could. Table service restaurants were great and really spread out. I loved the mobile ordering for the counter-service. It’s a lot. It’s a lot of people. They are not distanced. Wear your mask and pray for the best.

6 Likes

Well, welcome to ATL!!! Hope of many of us here… we are glad you are coming through.

5 Likes

When we were there last month, that was the one place I felt uncomfortable, even being vaccinated. I wore a mask.

I’m sorry to hear that your friend is ill. I hope he gets well soon. Only you can decide how comfortable you are traveling. Everyone else’s comfort level is irrelevant. Having an anxiety attack on the plane or in another country is not worth it. The thoughts you think will ultimately be the deciding factor. And you have complete agency over your thoughts (even when sometimes it feels like we don’t). You are in control. Even when sometimes all it feels like is that you’re reacting. Truly, DM me – I consider you a friend and would like to help you figure out what is right for you so you can get the spaghetti out of your head and stop the thought loop. :heart:

4 Likes

That’s a kind offer. Thank you.

Right now — despite this thread — I’m not really thinking about it at all. Partly because I don’t think it’s going to happen: I don’t think you will have reopened your borders. And partly because I have something more immediate to worry about: my cruise!

On the one hand everyone on the cruise will have been tested before boarding. And many will have been vaccinated. On the other hand, a little like WDW, they seem to have abandoned COVID caution. Mask compliance is not good, the ship is crowded and they’ve even reopened the buffet as a buffet!

I’m still going to go. It cost too much to cancel, lol. But I’m going to be cautious. Worst-case scenario is that I lock myself in my cabin all day and only order room service. I can sneak out late at night and explore the ship while everyone else is asleep in bed! I’m joking, but that doesn’t actually sound that bad. And they say a change is as good as a rest. I certainly feel like I need one!

4 Likes

I still think this is very appealing, despite being a joke.

3 Likes

The offer is always there. Have a great time on your cruise! The change will definitely do you well. What are you most excited for? The fancy dinner? An excursion?

1 Like

Oh, me, too. Exploring a huge ship late a night when it’s all peaceful, occasionally stepping outside to look the sea and the stars. I’m totally up for that!

3 Likes

The thing that drew me to this ship and made me abandon DCL was this:

That constantly changing roof is just breathtaking. It even puts on shows. Walking along that galleria is going to be a real thrill for me — and something I could well do late at night. I assume the ceiling is never switched off.

I’m excited about my room and its balcony. I’m excited about the fact that it’s right next to the “panoramic elevator” — convenient, but also awesome to look out at the sea as it ascends and descends. (It’s also small, so that I’ll only ever travel in it alone. No elevator COVID for me!)

Although I genuinely very rarely drink — the last time was on 21st April, the night before my birthday — I’m excited about drinking. There are awesome cocktails to try, some great champagnes, and some super-expensive premium spirits to sip in the evenings. All included in my upgraded package.

I’m not particularly excited about the food (which gets mixed reviews) and I do have (mild) anxiety about using the main restaurants. But I am excited about the upcharge speciality dining, which has received universal praise. At least one of the restaurants has a terrace which looks out onto the galleria, so it has less of a COVID vibe: it’s not outdoors, but it’s open.

I’m looking forward to the two excursions. First, to Belfast. I’ve never been to Northern Ireland. And second to Salisbury Cathedral. I do love me some cathedral action.

Oh, and before the cruise I have a day and half in Liverpool — somewhere else I’ve never been but am excited to explore.

It’s going to be a great trip. I’m unlikely to get COVID.

That was a clever question! Are you a professional?

11 Likes

Oh wow! Definitely a clever question and some really neat things to look forward to in answering it!

1 Like

I’m a clever girl. :wink:
That ceiling changes? wicked!!! I’ve never been on a cruise because I’m afraid I’ll get sea sick, so I am sure I can’t appreciate the absolute massive size of that floating city. Amazing!! When you go on the excursion, do you stay with a group, or can you explore on your own? Belfast looks beautiful, especially at this time of year. You will share loads of pictures, right? We need to go with you.

3 Likes

I second this!

I’ve never been to Belfast (or Northern Ireland), but I think I’ve been to Salisbury Cathedral. Maybe not, though. I was 14 years old at the time, and that was way over a lifetime ago.

What are some of the different views that the ceiling takes on? I do think that is awesome.

1 Like

That ship does look awesome. I think you’ll have a much needed great time and I will look forward to following along. The ceiling projections remind me of Fremont St in Vegas.

3 Likes

Indeed!

Yay! Something new to worry about! (What was that you were saying about being clever?)

“Because of COVID” (ugh, I loathe that phrase) you have to stay within the excursion bubble. If you leave it, they won’t let you back on the ship.

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 12 to an iPhone 12 Pro Max. One of my justifications to myself was the vastly better camera — which I will “need” for my trip. So, yes, many photos.

Isn’t getting old fun? I think I’ve been, too. But I can’t remember when. If at all. At some point English cathedrals do kinda blur into each other.

11 Likes

That ceiling is so cool!!!

3 Likes

LOL! No, getting old is not fun. You are correct, though; cathedrals do kinda blur into each other…

Those views are awesome!

Shudder

1 Like