WDW and DL to re-theme Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog

I’ve seen nothing official from Disney.

I did see some discussion yesterday that stemmed from a remark one of the TPATF actors made on a morning news program.

Will continue to observe (where are my healthcare folks??? :laughing: )

3 Likes

Right? I thought it was weird that she spoke about it, but then she seemed to realize her mistake right after and actually said she shouldn’t say any more.

2 Likes

Sounds like an “intentional accident”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

honestly, i think it’s Anika trying to force Disney’s hand into pinning down a time or officially reversing their stance. I’m in the camp where I don’t think this is going to happen (or if it does, it’ll be a long time from now).

• It’ll be very expensive at a time when D’maro and Chapek are allergic to spending (coughNewEpcotPlanAnyone?cough)
  • They haven’t even fixed Splash as it is NOW. I’m pretty sure Brer Rabbit is STILL not hopping, there’s still that screen burn, the mine/cave/whatever still has no water effects happening, and the water jet still isn’t firing after your plunge.
  • This was announced during a time when Disney could use the announcement to look like “hereos” and not have to deliver on a thing.
4 Likes

Also, with Disney having capacity issues - or at least that’s what it seems - can they really afford to have this ride go offline for an extended refurb? If this happens - and I hope it does - I think it will have to wait until after the Tron opening is announced.

1 Like

This COULD be seen as reason why it IS moving forward…why spend time fixing things temporarily when they know it is going to be full-on refurbed shortly.

I tend to agree with this. But I’m not sure it precludes them from actually following through.

2 Likes

It just goes to show, because my inside guy said plans were permanently tabled for the retheming of the DLR version, at least.

DLR’s version also just came back from a lengthy refurb. Unless they did some stealthy behind-the-scenes work to make the transition smoother, I don’t see it happening out here?

What say you @Jeff_AZ? did you see anything looking like a setup for a transition?

1 Like

if it were going to happen within a few weeks or months, maybe. But these issues have been around for years. And either way, that’s no justification to let an attraction fall into further disrepair. We’re paying hundreds to get into these parks and ride these rides, they should be as functional as possible at all times. The water was turned off because of Covid Concerns, clearly that’s no longer a concern for Disney, so why is it still off?

I didn’t say it didn’t. But saying you’ll do something that makes you look good, not actually do it, and then capitalize on the run of merch that follows? Sounds awfully Chapek-y and D’Amaro-y to me.

2 Likes

This seems right to me. And smart on her part, assuming they don’t ruin her career for forcing their hand.

Also, right after she goes into how she “could” ride GotG 8 times in a row no problem. That’s not going to sit well with people who miss out on BG’s or have extended waits of any kind. Though no one here seems to have any problem riding with multiple rides, so maybe the hype isn’t indicative of actual circumstances.

1 Like

I am sorry, I am not trying to be argumentative, I am honestly asking: I thought the re-theming was announced in response to the new key: inclusion. Is that cancelled?

1 Like

Have they? The things you mentioned were working when we were there in Dec. 2020, so I thought this was a more recent thing.

But in light of this…

…the argument holds less value, and so I’m learning more towards your position!

Sadly, so true!

Especially when certain C-level execs are walking away with literal millions at bonus time.

3 Likes

I was there in December. Everything I mentioned wasn’t working.

1 Like

Wait. I may be getting my parks confused…were both under refurb or just WDW’s? I may have misspoken.

WDW was refurbed in… September, I think? Late october? One of those. Afterward all the blogs came out and said “Very little changed.”

I think the key is still “officially” there, but it’s ignored. The retheme came out during the George Floyd stuff and it seems to me Disney PR just went “announce this so we stay on everyone’s good side!”

2 Likes

I don’t see it as argumentative. If that helps any.

What I was told seemed an official response, but so is everything said by Guest Services these days and we all know it’s not always the case. (cough ALWAYS having to call in to cancel room reservations)

Completely hearsay, but was what I was told.

Yes, but I am asking if the Key is cancelled?

No. Look! They painted the purple wall.

See? They love the gays. Also, they made loads of gay merchandise for them to buy. We gays love tacky gay merchandise.

The fact that painting a wall is cheap and retheming an entire ride is expensive is a coincidence.

For the Brits on the thread, the whole retheme announcement was textbook Sir Humphrey Appleby: for a government to be popular, it simply needs to announce things. It doesn’t have to actually do them. Johnson is the master of this. As is Chapek

(I actually really like those Mickey ears on the purple wall. More because it’s pretty rather than because I’m all about inclusion.)

9 Likes

I guess I focus on actions, not words.

I have erased the rest of my post and will stop now. Sorry @mousematt I am not disagreeing with you-at all. I should have posted in general, not replied to your post.

2 Likes

No, it’s not, that I know of.