WDW and Chapek cheeping out

I wonder how much alcohol consumption before the ride contributes to this :thinking:

3 Likes

Unfortunately we encountered this with one of the monorail cm at the Contemporary. The cm approached us and starting telling us how he didnā€™t want to come in but he had to. He then proceeded to tell us that we should go drinking and that it could at least make someoneā€™s day better. :grimacing: :scream:

5 Likes

:scream: is rightā€¦ dude, read the room

2 Likes

I just donā€™t like this, in any setting. Professionalism just isnā€™t the norm now, and I sure miss it!

4 Likes

Same but I would have never guessed that we would have that interaction at WDW! :cry:

2 Likes

I know! They should set the bar for sure. Used to be that way.

1 Like

I am one of those who also never used to get motion sickness or anything like that, until I had BPPV in 2020 (still not sure on the cause, I never tested + for Covid but they do assume some kind of virus since I didnā€™t have a head injury or anything). The biggest thing that bothers me is 3D stuff. I also do the ā€œless drowsyā€ (but really still pretty drowsy) Dramamine - (available as just generic meclizine on amazon for a lot cheaper than Dramamine btw - 12.5 mg is half a dose, 25 is full.) I also discovered the ReliefBand and I am the most skeptical person ever about stuff like that but I swear it works.

Is that really a fun way to spend a vacation? Being sick or over-medicated the whole time?

I have a tendency towards motion sickness but its not consistent. Iā€™ve noticed its worse when Iā€™m hungry, hot or tired. Late in the afternoon when I havenā€™t eaten lunch for example. Or if Iā€™ve ridden a number of these kinds of rides back to back more likely. Also depends on where I am seated. Soooo I guess what Iā€™m trying to say is, I hear you on the drowsy medications because even the less drowsy dramamine makes me sleepy so I donā€™t take it but I am willing to risk it because itā€™s not constant for a ride. Even if I get sick I can usually get over it within 30 minutes tops but I may know Iā€™m done for the dayā€¦but I also wanted to respond because I really loved our Disney cruise and Iā€™m sick of WDW* for a bit so Iā€™ve got two Disney cruises planned in the next 6 months and I can get seasick too. Itā€™s not usually too bad when seas are smooth but ya just never know. Should I not go on a cruise for the same reason? I think some people are willing to take risks or donā€™t know their limits UNTIL they get sick. Now, if they threw up on GOTG and got right back on, I would then question their sanity at that point LOL
*Except for World Showcase which I will never tire of and could live inā€¦LOL

1 Like

So this is actually science. My grandma, mom and I all suffer from vertigo. My momā€™s doctor makes her literally do spinning exercises because apparently it helps with vertigo. My mom says it worksā€¦so good job!

3 Likes

Itā€™s my thing I guess. I love cruising, but if I got seasick, Iā€™d stick to land-based vacations rather than having to medicate to enjoy the cruise.

Based on what I see here and on other forums, Iā€™m weird in that Iā€™d rather not do something I know is going to make me suffer, no matter how much I love it.

1 Like

I discovered on my flight back from Washington a couple months ago that I can get airsick if I try to sleep on the plane. I took the redeye, thinking I could sleep, but as soon as I closed my eyes, Iā€™d start to feel like I was going to throw up. I ended up having to stay awake for the entire flight, feeling miserable the whole time. Had I known, I would have taken a Dramamine. But flying had never been a problem for me before!

1 Like

Was it particularly turbulent? This can get me. My mom gets her doctor to prescribe Ambien for flights. I canā€™t sleep on the plane because I am too uncomfortable in that seated up position with nowhere to put my legs. I cannot sleep sitting straight upā€¦and I get swollen legs/feet from flying long flights. But I donā€™t tend to get airsick.

1 Like

Donā€™t say that can become a thing when itā€™s never been a thing before. Donā€™t say that.

1 Like

I didnā€™t black out on roller coasters till sometime in the last few years. :wink:

1 Like

No @gingerSnaps543222 ! :rofl:

1 Like

Okay. I wonā€™t say it. :slight_smile:

No. No worse than any other flight I had been on. In fact the flight TO Washington was more turbulentā€¦but I never tried to sleep on that flight. Just watched movies. It was when I closed my eyes it started to happen. Iā€™d open my eyes, and the nausea would ease up. Trouble was, it was the middle of the night and I was dead tired. But I had to force myself to stay awake to keep from vomiting!!!

1 Like

Sick or ā€œover-medicatedā€ arenā€™t the only options.

Iā€™m prone to motion sickness (rarely throw up, just feel bad and nauseated), but love rides, so Iā€™ll try anything once. Now a days, I usually wear a scopolamine patch and can handle most everything. Iā€™m not ā€œover medicatedā€ - I feel just fine.

Many folks figure out a combination of medication or habits (timing eating, etc) that work for them and that may include crossing some rides or types of rides off their list. But of course ride lovers are going to at least want to attempt whatā€™s been cited as an awesome new ride that combines technologies in an interesting way.

No one wants to throw up on a ride. I assume people are doing their best to manage their own medical issues or maybe experienced a specific combination of experiences that made them ill on a ride for the first time, and now they know that some rides can make them sick.

2 Likes

I was afraid last year I was getting past the time when I could do rollercoasters. DS and I did Velocicoaster and Hagridā€™s back to back and really felt Iā€™ll coming off Hagridā€™s. Never felt worse off a ride in my life. Had lunch and gave Hagridā€™s another try a few hours later and no issue. I have been doing the less drowsy Dramamine since because I donā€™t want to ruin vacation, but I think it was all the result of the empty stomach.

3 Likes

If you havenā€™t discovered the Boards(forum) on cruisecritic.com you should check them out. Lots of good information. People are pretty nice, not as nice as liners (of course!) but generally very helpful.

4 Likes

Where you sit can also make a difference. In the rear of the airplane you will get more motion.