WDW and Chapek cheeping out

I consider the spinny rides to be exercise for my middle-ear/balance. I matched up two things in my mind.

1. That kids are starting to have balance problems. The playgrounds are so ‘safe’ that there aren’t things like monkey bars to hang upside down. Their middle-ear isn’t getting the workout that kids at play used to get.
  2. Balance is a huge problem in old people, causing falls and broken bones. Simple balance exercises have been shown to have a huge impact on extending the active lifespan.

I used to love all the rides at Six Flags, particularly the thrilling ones. Then when DD got old enough we got season passes and I started to go again. There are some rides that I push myself to do once every trip even though I feel a little queasy.

On vacation, I don’t want to miss out. So, like Ryan, I will sometimes take a low-dose something. A lot depends on how my sinuses are.

1 Like

Sadly, I really feel you on the customer service decline.

I grew in Miami which has, despite living all over the world since, the hands-down worst standard of service of any city across all price points. Like if you receive just indifferent service you are lucky because it is often just openly hostile.

I say this for context, not just a side rant. When we would drive up to WDW and approach the gate to our resort, we would all literally gather around the driver’s window as it rolled down just to hear how astoundingly polite the gate guard would invariably be. We would drive away absolutely atitter with all of the times they said please and thank you!

Now, not so much…There are still wonderful CMs out and about but also many openly griping about things that they are dealing with. And I have sympathy for their issues so it is awful of me to complain about their complaints but it is very jarring to hear it.

Side note, our yearly trip to Miami in June made me feel like I was living in bizarro world because the staff (at the same place we always stay) was suddenly all ‘yes ma’am! Anything for you,boss!’

3 Likes

oh my, yes… it is jarring to listen to a CM openly complain about their job and bosses

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to try GotG. I get motion sick really easily, from spinning or backwards movement. But I keep seeing comments from people who say “I usually get sick on X, Y, and Z rides and I was fine on GotG” and the XYZ rides are ok for me, which makes me second guess skipping it. The sheer number of people who are vomiting during or after the ride heavily suggest to me that I need to avoid it and let my family tell me how awesome it was. But I think the comments saying people thought they’d get sick and then didn’t are encouraging others to try it.

I really want this to be me, having the ride agree with me. But I fear I’d be one of the ones they have to clean up after the ride so I’m almost positive I’ll be missing out.

1 Like

Yes. True for any company that interacts with guests/customers/clients, and Disney’s no different. How bad the things being complained about are may be totally valid, but is a totally separate issue. Gotta act professional on the clock and around customers.

2 Likes

I really want to be an enabler and tell you to ride, because it’s the most amazing thing! But, as someone said, not worth ruining the rest of your day over.

I think it’s a very personal thing–I steer clear of anything with spinning–no tea cups for example, no way.

2 Likes

exactly this, I don’t know when it became ok to do differently

4 Likes

Just the thought of the tea cups…:nauseated_face: I think I’d feel better about trying it if they’d hand out bags before the ride. After the ride won’t help me if I get sick during. Doesn’t Mission: Space have them available during? I was fine on green and didn’t try orange, but I seem to recall them being there like in an airplane. Maybe I should take the one from our flight and bring it with me on the ride. I’m mostly kidding

2 Likes

Don’t know about the empty stomach thing. In Universal we rode the ride in the castle kind of like the fair ride called the octopus. Had just eaten and had a butter beer. I barely made it off the ride without hurling.

Well, it isn’t a complete cure. Point is that IF you’re going to get sick, having an empty stomach you are more likely to get sick, or at least it will more likely be worse.

I saw them on Mission Space (Green) and wondered if I should get off! It didn’t bother me, so that was okay.

For me, in Epcot, Remy was the ride that made me feel the most like someone was pulling my head down (which is how I feel when there’s feel bad “danger” for me :rofl:)

1 Like

I agree with @ryan1 that a person should not have a totally empty stomach before rides, but neither should they have just eaten a large meal! I think it’s good to start the day with something small, such as a granola bar or bowl of cereal. That gives the stomach juices something to work on.

2 Likes

Well at least with a empty stomach there shouldn’t be much to come back up. :laughing: :sweat_smile:

True! :slight_smile:

Yes completely agree. For me, it’s crazy how the experience on the same ride changed for me as I aged. I never have liked big coasters or Space Mountain but I loved BTMRR growing up and that was fun and I enjoyed it. I remember riding in the late 80s when I was younger and I rode quite a few times in 1996 when I graduated high school during a family vacation at WDW. The next time I rode it was 2006, I was in my late 20s but it was fine. Then I didn’t ride it again until last year, 2021 with my husband. I had gone on 7DMT and hated it and thought it was intense. In my mind I thought oh, I’ll go on BTMRR and just ask for the first car. That will be fine and I’ve ridden it before and it was ok. Oh absolutely not! I was screaming through the whole ride, felt sick and I swear during the second pass in the middle of the ride, it felt like I blacked out for a second. I clearly can’t do any fast rides anymore! I didn’t enjoy it at all. Peoplemover is much more my style.

You don’t have much control on when you ride now. Otherwise I’d say try at the end of the day in case you do get sick.

It’s a pass for my family. Not worth the risk.

1 Like

It’s oddly true. Works on cruise ships. They told me to eat and I did and felt way better. Once I discovered that with unlimited food all I did was eat.

1 Like

@schoenbauer DD18 and I both get motion sickness easily so she planned to skip GOTG. Instead, we planned our first ride on it right before a break in the day, in case we needed it to recuperate. We both felt it a little bit, but nothing where we needed time before going on another ride. She loved it so much that she rode it several more times that trip. We didn’t notice anyone getting sick after the ride, so I don’t know how often that happens.

2 Likes

I am here!

No more upside downs for me and GoTG I am half and half on riding again. Got a little nauseated riding but recovers quickly. I think I might try bonine next time. If I still get nauseated after that, then I’ll likely skip it for the future.
I find G forces really bother me now

2 Likes