WDW and Chapek cheeping out

I’ve been messing around in disboards and it’s def a diff vibe. And it’s a really crummy system in that it seems to go down once or twice a day. Just not too many people over here talking up cruising unfortunately so I had to wander….lol

4 Likes

I’m not too familiar with disboards but cruisecritic.com has been around for a while and as I said generally pretty helpful.

1 Like

I have only been on cruises twice in my life- because I get really dizzy…I have successfully avoided it but after another thread here about the Wish we are planning a family reunion type trip…any advice on getting past the dizzyness would be greatly appreciated

Do you have vertigo in regular life? My mom said there are vestibular exercises you can do. Basically you can push your limits by doing things like purposefully spinning like a little kid and making yourself dizzy on purpose. Over time this helps train your brain. She says it works but id ask a doctor. If it’s specific to boats I’d also ask your doctor for one of those patches you wear behind your ear. I’ve only had that once but it was wonderful. You can try Dramamine too but even the less drowsy ones makes me sleepy.

1 Like

Having been on a cruise with many of them, I can safely say that while a few are really nice, FAR too many including their leader (sorry, I know some on here love him, but I saw him publicly chewing out a crew member for absolutely nothing they did) go in with the “Do you know who I am and how many times I’ve sailed???” mentality.

And the Disney board on cruisecritic tends to be on the slower side for their boards.

1 Like

Nope I am great in regular life & even theme park life, still riding coasters ect- the only place it ever happens is those old school spinning tunnel bridge combination things occasionally we run into them at Halloween events - that’s the exact feeling I get in a cruise ship hallway

1 Like

I just wanted to find photos and details about the Wish which I did get over there but yes there seems to be more poor communication over there in the little bit I’ve dabbled. We all are capable of course and maybe there’s just more people commenting…I don’t know just a first impression.

In regards to the DIS guy (I can’t even remember his name but I know his face…thought I even saw him in line for SWGS last month but maybe it was just a look-alike) I have watched some of his podcasts on youtube and he does have a smug vibe (similar to Bill Mahr). I’m not saying I don’t like him, but I can get that he can rub people the wrong way. I’m okay with strong personalities cuz I am not afraid to fight back coming from a family that is sort of similar. I think its cultural honestly. It’s like stiff upper lip British in origin mostly and then American-Southern (which is my mom’s side and that family dynamic is much more on the surface pleasant but there can be talking about you behind your back) compared to my Jewish family from the northeast (Boston) which is outwardly loud and judgmental but you get it to your face, and you know they love you too. Hard to explain lol.

4 Likes

yup, I’ve gotten that feeling completely sober (and even at work!) in a regular room so I know it well. The room can just be a little like a rocking boat to full on spinning for me. I’d ask your doctor. There might be something that can help and it may very well be the same anti-motion sickness meds. But also those vestibular exercises might help. Test your balance like a little kid!

For me, I think my constant congestion in my inner ear is the culprit because I’ve personally noticed sudafed helps (but that’s not something I want to take a lot of…don’t really like the way it makes me feel either). I really really need to just sign myself up for allergy shots already. I hate antihistamines. I am very sensitive to their sleepy side-effects like Dramamine. But I digress…

I’d just ask your doctor because I’m betting he/she can help give you something from exercises to do to meds to take. But also, you are actually on a boat, so it is supposed to feel like that like. I always have that feeling on the cruise ships a little bit but its not overwhelming except the time we were one of only two cruise ships that decided to skirt around the outside of the weak side of a hurricane while all the other boats had an extra day at sea instead. It was nice being one of only two boats in port the next day though but man sleep was hard that night!

I bet with time you’d adjust if you did it more. Maybe take some small lake boat rides in your area. Get on a river boat if you’re near the Missisisippi and get your sea legs! LOL

1 Like

Wow interesting-

I wonder how much of it is sinus related for me- I am currently at 4 prescriptions a day- if we are driving to Disney it’s actually more as my ears can’t handle Mount Eagle on I 24…

Thanks that is definitely something I will discuss at my upcoming physical.

1 Like

I have noticed it to be strongly sinus related. So much so that I usually start an anti-inflammatory diet about a month before every amusement park vacation. My realization came one day when I was fighting a sinus infection. I decided I didn’t want to skip a long awaited adult day at Six Flags. DD is a ride wimp, so once a year DH and I go without her during a school day and ride everything she won’t. I threw up at the end of a ride I’ve been on many times, and love. Fortunately I had extra masks because I couldn’t remove all the crap around my face quick enough. DH held my hair.

2 Likes

Interesting-

I have no problems on rides but as I said when we head out I am already eating antihistamine and steroids before we head out anyway…

@ParadisFamily - my sincerest apologies for the thread going somewhat off topic…from this point I will stick to complaining about the current management. That said I agree wholeheartedly that the“brand” is being damaged…I am mostly disappointed with how the culture has changed as far as guest/customer service oriented to a hard sell FOMO strategy- you want to ride certain attractions you gotta pay up or else…we have what will probably be a once in a lifetime trip to DLR. WDW is our home park but we have an extremely big Spider-Man fan…That said we are making the trip specifically for Web Slingers. To make sure we ride at least once- we will have to layout whatever fee they choose for the day- or VIP tour although standby is an option it’s to much of a gamble with the way rides are constantly going down. At least if we have the paid$ ride option it is generally honored if a ride comes back on line later.

1 Like

If you rope drop WebSlingers there is little wait. No need to buy an ILL.

As of right now - we will only be doing 2 park days together as a group thanks to my adult kids having 2 different types of work schedules - so although rope drop is possible for our family we pretty much need the LL+ To make sure we are together…

Ah.

Still, if you can start one day together in DCA at rope drop, I’d just rope drop it. Be at the front of a tapstile line - odds are they’ll scan you in even before you can officially go through; go as rapidly as possible towards the rope that looks like you’re heading into Carsland and be on the FAR left as close to the front as you can get; when the rope drops, hang a left into Avengers Campus and they’re pretty much directing you into WebSlingers. Once I was the second room in, the other time I only waited like 5 minutes to go into a room. MANY groups were easily doing it together.

Just pointing out that it can be done without having to spend money on ILLs.

I really had a different experience with the cast when I was there in June. Really, every single cast member I encountered was awesome, friendly, and helpful. I did not see any of this phenomenon of rude or disinterested cast.

2 Likes

Did it today and it was fine. It’s a great ride so it’s worth a little nausea

2 Likes

When I was there in November/December, we saw many indifferent cast members. As a family, we have gone 3 times since 2016. A few times I’ve encountered a rude CM. But for the most part, found that most CMs seemed to enjoy their jobs, until our last trip. DH and I went to WDW on our honeymoon and almost every trip, except 2021, we have received and felt the magic. This last trip, we had fun, but it didn’t have the same impact. We did find a few cast members who were wonderful and we appreciated them. Two of them were servers, who each received a generous tip. But I will agree with OP, the feel of the parks is different.

I guess everyone’s experience is different, but one of the things both I and DW commented on was how despite all the annoying changes, the cast still was amazing.

1 Like

On our two-week trip to DW a few months ago we didn’t run into any rude CM’s, but they weren’t anything special.

Our first visit to USF, DH said, “We are going to think the Six Flags people are rude from now on.” I knew what he meant. USF raised the bar high enough that Normal would seem Rude. DW was more at the Six Flags level.

It wasn’t that I expected to be sprinkled with pixie dust. But, for example, I remember chatting with a TM at Pter. Flyers at USF while waiting to get on. He said that the reason he requests to work that ride is because then he gets to ride it during the morning test runs. Even before that his “Happy to be here” attitude shown through. I never saw that at DW. But then after reading reports of overflowing trash cans, I was happy I didn’t see that.

I remember one time at USF, DH asked someone doing Wear_Your_Mask reminder duty, “How do you stay so chipper?”

1 Like

A couple of years ago, one of my kids was on the swing at a playground so I sat on the empty one next to him and quickly realized that swings are now completely off limits to me.

2 Likes