Waterslide (only) getting refurbed at Stormalong Bay

Sorry to bear bad news, but it sounds like the slide at Stormalong bay will be closing any day now. The rest of the pool should still be open. Sorry to anyone who has a trip planned there in the next couple of months!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/resorts/#drawer-card-beachClub

2 Likes

They couldn’t have done that when that resort was shut? Good lord. Who is running that place these days anyway???

7 Likes

I know!! It makes me so mad. They shouldn’t be able to do this on such short notice. Especially at this pool where they hang their hat on the “longest slide” outside the waterparks. My son would be so disappointed to have the pool open but the slide closed.

Also - I kind of feel like maybe some waterslide parts were recalled or something? What’s with the need to do very last minute refurbs on two waterslides during a pandemic when they have put legit investments on hold??

1 Like

These last minute shut downs are awful. Most people book these hotels for the pools. Even if it is just the slide, what a disappointment

2 Likes

Agreed.

Although, fiberglass waterslides can quickly turn dangerous. One little worn-through spot, and you suddenly have people getting torn up with shards of glass, so routine maintenance really is a MUST do, not a “get around to it” kind of thing.

1 Like

Seems like a lot of pools/slides are potentially going to be down during the ramp up to spring break. Which really doesn’t make sense.
Pop main pool is closed.
Big Blue pool at AoA is closed.
Slide at YC/BC is closed.
Kiki’s Tikis at Poly is closed.
Permits for construction at Lava pool have been filled, but no one knows what it’s going to be, and if the pool will stay open.
Contemporary kids water play area is closed.
Paddock pool slide is going under refurb I believe.
Is keister coaster open yet?
If you’re going to have limited park hours, you gotta give people something to do when they close. Seems crazy to have all this under refurb at the same time.

1 Like

That’s it, I’m cancelling! Ha, there wasn’t a chance DH was budging anyway but I’m not going to push anymore. Too many restrictions up here anyway.

The Keister Coaster reopened in Jan but that one was also announced with less than a month notice.

I’m all for routine maintenance, but that should easily be able to be announced more than a month away! The Big Blue pool refurb was on the website over a year before it took place. They also just announced a Kidani pool refurb for 2022. I don’t understand why the slides aren’t on the same long term plans.

2 Likes

All the more reason why, if this was coming up for maintenance, it should have been done while shut down

1 Like

Yikes. That’s a hell of a lot of pool closures! And just when it’s getting hot out, too. Why not during winter?

4 Likes

Any idea how frequently they shut down the slides? Is it annually?

I don’t but I’m sure there’s a spreadsheet somewhere!

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying!! I get that some of these have been in the works for a while, but shouldn’t someone be looking at all the refurbs on paper and going “Whoa, that’s a lot of water features offline at once, maybe we could delay some of the non urgent ones?!?”

3 Likes

My guess is they want to get it finished before the beach club resort opens in May? Super dissapointing though. We have a stay in April and it a real bummer. Hoping its a short refurbishement :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

The Poly pool permit expires June 25th. I don’t know if any of us know if the splash area is one part of the work, or all of it?

Exactly.

So looking back (love me some research)…seems stormalong bay waterslide was getting a refurbisbement in January/February/March about every 3 years or so. Its is usually closed for about a month. So it seems it has been a while since there has been one and it is due. So hopefully it is maintanence and will be back up and running soon.

4 Likes

what the what?! We had our DVC wait-listed (and switched) to BCV from BWV JUST for the pool. I know the pool is still open, but the slide is a big part of that.
I hope it’s a quick refurb.

1 Like

Ooooh no! This happened to us when we were scheduled at BWV and we were able to orchestrate a last minute switch to BCV for which I’m very thankful. The slide is at least 95% of the pool time for my son.

What are your dates? Boardwalk was closed for 10 weeks but they redid the whole outside of the slide. Hopefully this is just a new coat of sealant.

2 Likes

March 23 - 27. So, hopefully far enough out that it’s finished.
:crossed_fingers:

1 Like