Walt Disney World Resort Provides Update on Resort Experiences and Housekeeping, Transportation, Dining, and More - WDW News Today

I find it interesting that there is no reference to masks.

1 Like

Look at the title and references in the post and the asterisk notes at the bottom.

The post starts by mentioning Hotels and DVC, then for the rest of the post only mentions hotels. At the absolute bottom is the footnote ***Disney Vacation Club members will receive their traditional housekeeping service.

An Update on Disney Resort Hotels

we are also making plans for our hotels and Disney Vacation Club resorts. With that in mind, we wanted to share what you can expect when you book a stay at a Disney Resort hotel.*

*Owned-and-operated Disney resorts.
**Available at Walt Disney World Resort only.
***Disney Vacation Club members will receive their traditional housekeeping service.

I think it is pretty clear that they are only talking about cleaning at Resort Hotels and not DVC.

No indication of what resorts will re-open and when but it is kinda silly to post this if WDW is planning on not re-opening any Resort Hotels this year as previously posted.

2 Likes

The TA said it was true for the rest of the year. Who knows, though. Things “could” change.

The only people that can book now are DVC members (at dvc resorts) and June cancelations right?

Edited to add: Disney only controls a percentage of DVC rooms (about 25%?). Will they tell people that want to modify a July reservation that the inn is full?

That I’m not 100% sure of. I only sent her a message to see if that screen shot was true and she said it was.

This link explains how many dvc rooms Disney controls:

1 Like

One thing I’m thinking about, PRESUMING that the rumor ends up being true about not opening up Disney hotels apart from DVC through the end of year…

So, our December trip, I have a split stay. First 7 nights are staying through rented points at Boardwalk Villa. So, I’m confident I’m good there.

For the final night, we went back and forth between renting a Bay Lake Tower studio (theme park view) on points or doing with The Contemporary Tower theme park room view. In the end, we decided upon going with the latter, despite being a few hundred dollars more, because it was a childhood dream of mine to stay in the The Contemporary building with the monorail, etc.

But, with the rumor, I’m worried that The Contemporary Tower (not Bay Lake Tower) will not be open, and our single night reservation will end up being cancelled by Disney. I did wonder if it is too late to try to book a Bay Lake Tower room for a single night, but on one DVC site I found that shows availability, pretty much ALL DVC room availability is gone for that night except Saratoga Springs.

Now I’m left wondering what might happen for that one night. Will we lose it entirely? Will Disney move us to another DVC room?

Ultimately, I’m hoping that really what Disney plans is to open up the DVC resorts, INCLUDING the non-DVC counterpart rooms in the same resort. (Which is confusing at times. Bay Lake Tower is considered part of The Contemporary…but if you talk about The Contemporary Tower itself (main building) it isn’t DVC.)

Come on, Disney. Just TELL US what you’re thinking already so we can plan accordingly.

3 Likes

I will say that I have heard the “through the end of the year” thing now on a long-running, reputable podcast.

As an agent I have not heard any updates

3 Likes

I have 6 nights at Pop at the end of October. If (and that’s a big if) it ends up happening, I possibly want to add my daughter and husband to the reservation (they do already have tickets, I’m an AP). I think my best bet is just to wait and see what happens…I am pretty sure I will cancel anyway, but have considered keeping it as a solo (was originally supposed to be a solo trip which is why I’m the only one on the room reservation) if a bunch of restrictions are still in place (I understand them, I just don’t want to use my family’s tickets and the extra cost for half the experience.)

Will everyone rebooking over the next couple of weeks take all the rooms?

I had a Coronado Springs room only for 24 - 28 June, in conjunction with a tournament being held at CS. I called Disney Sports and Travel a couple of weeks ago and changed it to 16 - 20 December. At Coronado Springs.

Back story: I’d been calling Sports & Travel every few weeks since second week of April when the tournament promoters announced the move from June to December. I was always told to be patient and call back. About the time that Disney gave its presentation to the task force I called again. Again put on hold while the CM “checked something” only this time, our room only reservation was moved to December.

That’s all I know. Certainly asked questions of the Sports CM but she didn’t know much. I really got the impression she was feeling her way. At one point she made some reference to the “system” she was on. Like it didn’t do as much as she was used to. I don’t recall the words. She had initially offered to accept payment for the difference in deposits. Then got embarrassed that she’d forgotten she couldn’t take payments on that system. :hushed:
Oh, wait. Our June reservation was $159/ night. December is $189/ night despite promoters saying in April that the original rate would be honored. They also said we could add days to our reservation. Again, CM would only reserve for our original number of nights.

2 Likes

I totally get the difference between dvc points availability and cash.
That said, I checked points availability for my stay 11/28-12/5 and there is literally nothing with full availability…:astonished:
Riviera is mostly undeclared, so there will be rooms there for sure that were not seeing, but who knows how much. We’re too far out to factor in breakage, but it doesn’t look like there will be much unless owners start cancelling.
If the rumor pans out to be true, things just got interesting.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite movies of all time…

Mal: “Define interesting…”
Wash: “Oh God oh God we’re all gonna die?”
-Serenity

4 Likes

too soon. :tired_face:

4 Likes

I’ve been wondering how much the new reservation system gets along with the DVC system. Which makes me wonder about the accuracy of anything seen regarding reservations. Any reservations.

One reason I kept checking with Sports was - even tho I could see my June reservation on MDE - was it really still there.

IF there is validity to the DVC only thru 2020 rumor I certainly wanted an on going reservation.
We wouldn’t say no to any DVC switch.

I’m not entirely sure a seasonal covid peak happens in 2020. My guess would be sometime between January and February. But that might be because we’re interested in a December trip.
:wink:

eta: Serenity never gets old.

1 Like

My travel dates are a huge DVC travel week. So I believe that it’s probably accurate for now.

1 Like

In case anyone doesn’t know: I am a dvc member booked for the end of September. If I cancel, that will open up to dvc members only I believe?

I can’t remember if it was this thread or another, but I mentioned that, because the bulk of the fixed costs of operating a DVC resort - maintenance, utilities, insurance, front desk, bell services, housekeeping, and recreation - are covered by DVC dues, the financial risk of opening a DVC resort and having lower-than-projected occupancy is pretty close to zero. Those costs are already covered.

DVC Development, the entity which holds the undeclared points which are always available for non-DVC-owner reservations, must pay its dues the same as any owner. So it’s to DVCD’s advantage to fill those rooms with paid reservations, as its profits are higher if its cost of owning and servicing its points pool is defrayed by having non-DVC-owner guests use those rooms.

Better still for DVCD is if reservations from other non-DVC hotels get converted into reservations from its undeclared pool, as that’s yet another infusion of revenue that is already on the books, just in another pocket right now.

What’s unknown is how many DVC owners are going to show up. Owners get basically an absolute right to use the pool of declared points at 61+ days from the start of a reservation. At 60 days, DVCD can start treating some of those, on a sliding scale, as undeclared points. However, owners have until 31 days to cancel a reservation without any use penalty. So there’s a 30 rolling window where DVCD doesn’t have a firm projection on how much inventory is available. What DVCD can’t do is cancel an owner’s reservation in preference for a cash one.

Scuppered™:

• Reopening DVC is less financially risky because the costs are covered
  • Putting non-DVC guests in DVC rooms is cheaper because the operational costs are covered
  • Disney doesn’t have a firm idea on how many rooms are available yet
3 Likes

For about another six weeks, that’s the case.

2 Likes

IDK :woman_shrugging:

Thanks, I thought there might be a time when Disney could take those points so I did not want to say never. I do think it is important for guests with cash reservations to know that they should not be looking at any DVC availability tools to determine if a Disney cash DVC type room is available in the fall.