Walking the Parks- Tips for the Feet

Back when I was hiking a lot I wore two pairs of socks, usually one inside out. I was told that this would reduce friction on your skin because the socks would rub against each other instead of against your skin. I never had any hot spots with two pairs of socks.

I found out about multiple pairs of shoes when youngest granddaughter’s feet began smelling awful - at 8 yrs old. :upside_down_face:
The smell is of course from bacteria or fungus. Damp shoes - from sweat - that don’t dry out are a wonderful place for bacteria and fungus to flourish. Often they don’t even seem that damp. We fixed the problem quickly and painlessly (mostly) by buying her 3 pairs of school shoes with natural materials. Even at 8 she was particular about wearing each pair in order. This gave the insides time to dry out before she wore that pair again. I’d have probably bought her a pair for each weekday but it was tough finding 3 different pairs that worked for the school uniform rules.
At home we already had a boot dryer which all of us began using much more. Amazing what drying, or rotating, your shoes will do. :smile:

3 Likes

How do you manage compression socks with #1-Disney heat and #2-shorts/capris/skirts because of #1?

Compression socks come in fun designs!

The material might actually be cooling :thinking:

1 Like

I’m more wondering about the fashion statement of knee high compression socks (that’s what I have) and the capris that make up the bulk of my park wardrobe. Are there non-knee high compression socks? Do they work well? I am so intrigued!

I rock some ankle length travel pants with those knee high socks and Birkenstocks on overnight flights. But I don my sexy socks after boarding and my outfit is well hidden in the tight quarters of the plane.

Look on Amazon. There are some crazy socks.

I don’t know that I would wear them (don’t have my size) but hey, WDW is a magical place. Break out of the same old same old mold! :rofl:

1 Like

Really it’s more of a problem for the people that have to look at me, right? :joy:

1 Like

Not unless you know them and have some concerns for them. :smile:

1 Like

Excellent question. I have the stockings which are definitely not sexy. I wear light weight long pants which is generally my preference - the right materials can help keep you cooler than if the sun is bouncing onto your legs. Plus, without long pants, I would 100% get the Disney rash, so there isn’t a question for me.

That said, when it gets really hot, even my best stockings add to my heat level. But that is also when I need the most help with circulation, so wearing them also helps my body cope with the heat better. I’ll be honest - it isn’t ideal but I have managed!

PS - Ihave to use Body Glide on my feet or the toe seams and the stocking material can be brutal.

2 Likes

I wore longer socks in June and did not get the Disney rash at all. Sept 2019 trip was hot and I got the rash even with long pants. :smirk:

Last June at WDW was so hot :fire: :hot_face: I don’t think I’d have been any cooler with shorter socks.

1 Like

I’ve got stockings and long pants! July before latlst I still got a tiny rash. I was so annoyed. Epcot always gets me.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s the pink walkways. :smile:

1 Like

Got it! I have only recently moved away from my Teva sandals in the parks (getting old is rough on the feet!) so I suspect I won’t be able to make myself move on the next step to pants just yet. But now I will start my search for the ideal Disney pants.

My regime …foot glide (or body glide) all over the bottom of my feet, anti-blister socks, shoes I can walk long distances in. In my case - Hoka Bondi (used to be Brooks Ghost) - I alternate with Vessi Weekend shoes if it’s raining (they are waterproof …although not torrential downpour proof :crazy_face:)

1 Like

I swear by All Birds Tree Runners for Disney. Worn them my last 3 trips and little to no foot pain. I know everyone’s feet are different but i picked them after reading several blog posts of people raving they were the only shoes they’d wear for a day at the parks.

1 Like

I ordered some off Amazon. My aunt has some she’s been using a few years and said they make a difference. She works in healthcare and is on her feet all day.

1 Like

I tried this last night. It did make for a more relaxing sleep.

1 Like

I am the same! Sometimes I wear capris but would not be comfortable all day in shorts. On occasion, I have worn a long maxi dress with knee length thigh savers underneath. Next trip average high is around 80 and I am fine in pants.

2 Likes

This is what I bought. They work well. What is weird is that now you have a left-sock and a right-sock.

The idea is that no matter how comfy your shoes, they will rub somewhere since they aren’t glued to your feet. Your regular socks will move with the shoe. But, if you have a tight inner sock that is what is rubbed against instead of your skin.

I have an insane friend who is into marathons and she is one that told me about the two socks.

1 Like

My Tradehome store has compression socks in low no shows all the way to knee his. I bought the low ones and wear when I walk laps.

1 Like

Whoa! Good to know. I’m going to investigate.