Walking the Parks- Tips for the Feet

Remember Dr.Shols have various of inserts for cushioning. I change out the padding on all my shoes for these inserts. and even add a odder eater for extra padding and foot sweat.

1 Like

Dr Scholls has an online quiz to help you find the right sole as well. Dr.Scholl's ® Custom Fit ® Orthotics Online Assessment

I am flat footed and after using Dr Scholls for a bit, I did get custom orthotics, which I’ve been breaking in for my upcoming Disney trip.

1 Like

My go to park shoes are Hoka Bondi. Lots of cushioning for all the standing.

3 Likes

I know you can buy custom orthotics for flat feet and medical conditions. The one’s I am talking about are sizeable by cutting to fit. They come in different configurations, such as various types of cushioning Not nearly as expense as custom orthotics…

1 Like

I’ve seen the Dr. Sholls machine before, the one you step on but I haven’t seen one in a while. I plan on doing the online assessment when I get home. I plan on trying a few different things before our next trip. :grin:

For sure, much less expensive. It was a good way for me to make sure that orthotics would work for me before I invested in the custom ones.

I will say I did the Dr Scholls 3/4 or 1/2 inserts and I wish I had done the ones you cut down to your shoes. I didn’t do the cut down ones because it sounded hard to do, but then the not full shoe ones slipped around quite a bit. They became very uncomfortable when I was Walking With Purpose from International Gateway to Frozen.

1 Like

I tried Dr Scholls once at the parks - I ended up with blisters on the BOTTOM of my feet …never again.

I find that alternating shoes seems to help. I hate wearing sneakers in the heat so I usually bring 2-3 pairs of sandals to switch between. Also putting legs up at the end of the day as others have mentioned seems to help.

2 Likes

We did a walking regimen, and that helped, especially with my kids. We had great stamina for all-day walking and didn’t feel sore. I’m also a fan of New Balance and got a lightweight running shoe that had a thinner fabric so it would dry faster.

1 Like

First let me say that I think everyone is looking at the wrong inserts. Yes Dr.Sholls has a machine in some stores like Walmart that you step on to get the right orthotic. I tried these and wasn’t impressed though I really don’t have a foot arch problem. These were about $50 a pair and fit on the arch of the inside of your shoe. My wife on the other hand has an arch problem but eventually went to the Good Feet Store which she now swears by. They will run you about $500. If you truly need them and you have a lot of foot pain while walking the are no doubt worth that type of money. Ok These are not what I am referring to. Say you got to Walmart and go to the foot section. You will find Oder Eaters and cushioning full shoe inserts. You remover the insert that coming with your sneakers and insert one of these in each shoe. You simply cut them to your shoes size. Very easy. They come in various cushioning styles and names. These do nothing for arch support, they are just for cushioning.

1 Like

I think this is where I went wrong. I just need more comfort and support. I don’t necessarily need Orthopedic inserts or shoes (as far as I know). I jist thought they could help. But since I don’t have a specific problem I don’t think the good feet store helped me much.
I also didn’t agree with the machines finding a decade + ago. Will see if the online test has a different result and give the recommendation a try- can’t hurt. After a lot of walking my feet hurt. After a long while, my back will start to ache I don’t have a specific problem other than back fusion.
I’m just looking for a reputable brand to give a try for comfort, not to correct any specific issue.

1 Like

Some folks are long and thin
Some are round and not long
Some are pear shaped
Triangle shaped

Clothes that work for one body type might look awful on another. Too fussy, or too severe.
Wanting an outfit that complements your body type is not the same as fixing an issue.

It’s the same with feet. If DH stands on a paper with damp feet there’s going to be a lot of sole imprint on that paper. Straight and wide. My footprint will look way different. Narrow and curved. The basic mechanics of our feet are different. We need different shoe structures. It’s not an orthopedic correction as my niece needs. It’s just different feet types. Like body types.

Matching the shoe to the foot type becomes more important if you’re walking a lot (12, 15, 20 miles a day) or if your feet have been around the block a lot (they’re older :grin:)

I don’t own stock in shoe companies. It’s not going to affect me at all what anyone here gets for shoes. It’s a free country, they say. :wink:
For myself, I know first hand (foot :thinking:) what a difference shoes make. And like any good convert I’m going to talk too long on the subject. :smile:
Thanks for following along if you have. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think you and @lizzieanne771 were the ones who recommended earlier in this thread to good to an actual running store (not Dick’s or any department store or even a dedicated Nike or New Balance store!) and get fitted…someplace like Fleet Feet or a local running store. As you said, it’s going to be what works for YOUR feet. You don’t necessarily need inserts; you need good shoes that are designed for certain activities and how you do those activities. A brand that works for one person is going to be completely awful for someone else. Even different styles within a brand are going to fit and feel differently. Some shoes are neutral, some are for stability, some are designed to be lightweight for racing, some are really for fashion only. I typically wear Brooks—but having bought three different styles recently, I can say Brooks Ghost is my favorite, but others might like the Adrenaline or Glycerin better. Buying something like Dr. Scholl’s or other inserts is kind of like self-diagnosing versus going to the doctor. Don’t be intimidated by a running store.

4 Likes

Well said. :blush:

And yes. I had posted earlier, agreeing with @lizzieanne771 .

2 Likes

A number of walking shoes have all types of cushion gimmicks that are part of the shoes. That’s great but you pay for those that are fancy. Dr. Shols are about $5 a pair for insert cushioning and do the same. If you don’t have a arch problem then the others are just spendy inserts that will do you little good if not hurt your feet. Add compression socks to the mix and I think you will be much better off.

1 Like

I got a pair of Brooks athletic shoes before my last trip. It is the first time I have ever not had foot or lower back pain on a Disney trip. My Sketchers took away any foot pain, but my lower back woudl get me when standing in line. With the Brooks, I stood in more lines than I ever have (because I was with a group who would rather be in line than wasting time!) and I had zero back issues.

Note - i do where compression stockings because I have circulatory problems. So if you don’t want “achy legs” compression socks are a good way to go too.

2 Likes

My formula is at least three different pairs of comfy shoes of different types. Then every time I go to the parks I’ll wear a different pair than last time. For water ride visits I’ll wear Birkencrocs.

Also, no matter how carefully I trim my toenails, there always seems to be one that somehow still rubs against the next toe. So now my innersocks are the kind with toes in them. And oh, yeah, always two pairs of socks with the innersocks being designed for that.
And feet-on-the-wall.

1 Like

Brooks Ghosts are great walking shoes for me too! I also have Adidas Cloudfoam that I switch off with the Brooks.

2 Likes

Ugh. Me too. I mostly wear chacos due to this. They’re comfy for me, and let my toes spread out enough to avoid this issue. If it’s too cold, or I need a break, I switch to my tennies, but have these weird sleeve thingies that I put on the one offending toe. Usually that works well. If I get too sweaty, though, I have to readjust a few times. Wore it hiking at Glacier NP a few years ago with no blisters!

ETA: What do you buy for toe-socks? Been thinking about trying some. And why two layers?

1 Like

I got the Revel but my DD got the Ghosts and love them! I can’t say enough about these shoes from a “supporting my fitness” standpoint. I will have to check out the Adidas too!

2 Likes