Walking the Parks- Tips for the Feet

PT here with my two cents

To be most effective compression socks should really be at least knee high. A no show is only going to avoid swelling in the foot which I suppose is better than nothing but your calves won’t benefit at all from that. That said, I work in compression socks but couldn’t imagine rocking a pair with shorts at WDW.

The shoe discussion is definitely not a one size fits all solution except to say that you definitely want to start with a good shoe for your needs and then the insert is just an additional support/cushion/odor reducer. People with rigid arches need more cushioning and shock absorption in their shoes so those forces get taken up by the shoe rather than their joints of the leg and back. People with more flexible arches (hyper pronators) need more stability in their shoe and sometimes an additional arch support depending on severity of how flat their foot gets when they bear weight on it. There is additional nuance here because some people have low arches even when not bearing weight, if you try to stick an arch support in that person’s shoe it’s going to overcorrect their arch and cause pain. Versus someone with a structurely high arch that flattens when standing who really needs a good arch support.

Really everyone who is doing WDW level walking needs extra shock absorption which is where running or cross training shoes really are the best because they’re inherently built with a lot of that.

6 Likes

Thank you. Your info is so concise and well put.

3 Likes

I’ll add, and second…our own resident (retired) podiatrist (and now-current award winning WDW CM) is @pod4christ - his website

4 Likes

Thank you for this!

dry feet = happy feet.

Also the point about different pressure points in the same style shoe (Birkenstock Arizona for example)

2 Likes

Great tips! I do think I’m seeing that my shoes are cross trainers. I need to get into a good pair of running/ walking shoes. I’m currently looking at a particular pair of Brooks but want to get my feet into them first before I commit.
I purchased some Dr. Sholls inserts for my work shoes. I feel a little relief. I just purchased the ones in this tip list to keep in my new running/ walking shoes. I need to get the shoes this weekend and break them in. 4.5 weeks till Disney!

Is he still a CM?

1 Like

If you get good shoes from a running store (Brooks would be considered good shoes) you don’t need to break them in. I got a new pair of Brooks two days before running at 10 mile race. Ran in them once before the race and they were fine.

1 Like

This is only true is you are getting the same model of shoe (Brooks ghost 11 to Brooks ghost 12), and even then I would be cautious. Unexpected rubbing spots can show up on shoes 3 miles in on a pair of shoes that were properly fitted and seem fine in store.

Always always take your shoes for a long walk/run before counting on them for a Disney trip!

2 Likes

I plan on walking in them several times, mainly out of necessity. I only have 1 pair of comfortable sneakers so I’ll want to alternate. Someone here gave a tip to allow your shoes to dry out completely before wearing them again. I don’t typically have sweaty feet but I’m sure my sneakers get a bit damp so I will alternate between my current pair and new pair.

1 Like

Definitely agree with taking your shoes for a walk or several. I can’t not do this. Since I began buying proper shoes tho, I’ve not had a breaking in period. Shoes have been fine. But I’m still always pre-walking them. Pay no attention to me not stepping on cracks and touching every parking meter.

I’ve come to realize bacteria recognize damp way before me or my feet do. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks @MeetMeAtThePoly ! As you can tell I’m rarely on this side of chat. :smiley: Here’s my new website for those looking. I still have to tweak it a bit. WDW Tips

4 Likes

This!!! No matter how comfy the shoes are, alternate!

3 Likes

When I was in the Boy Scouts, we went to Philmont twice (7 day backpacking camp), and they definitely preached multiple socks – a lightweight (silk/nylon) liner sock paired with wool socks. Probably not ideal for Florida, but the thinking is that wool is pretty good at wicking moisture and the liner reduces a lot of the friction. I’ve also found some really lightweight Merino wool liners that pair well with normal hiking socks, too.

I also did 100km of the Camino de Santiago and saw some tips to rub your feet with Vaseline before each day. Between that and changing my socks whenever they’d get damp/sweaty, I didn’t get a single blister in the five day trip. Didn’t notice any residue in my socks, either; my feet were usually so dry and rough from the previous day’s walk that they just absorbed everything.

Finally, maybe it’s the dad in me, but I was also thinking that just going full socks/sandals would be the best of all worlds – your feet would definitely stay cool but still have the socks to keep your sandals from rubbing over a full day of walking around. But I don’t think my wife or kids would stay anywhere near me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes