Volcano Bay tips

Can’t bring a lockbox anymore, still?
Any rides not open at EE?
Planning to drop stuff at Wakuri Beach cabana first thing. Will it be obvious how to find Krak, and the other big rides? Or just do anything near the volcano early!

1 Like

They don’t open the back of the park until regular RD.
I’m not certain exactly which rides but the paths are closed to begin with.

I would say no to this if you’re not familiar with the park layout.
I would suggest having a good look at a map before going so you can get your bearings.

4 Likes

Thanks. I can see the rides on the Universal map but hard to tell where ride entrances are. Gonna do some more research!

2 Likes

EPA attractions:

The markers appear to be very close to the entrances.

4 Likes

Thanks Bebe. So if we’re putting our stuff in those free cabanas, we’re darn close to the Serp. Slides and oh ya/no but way far from Krak. Have to go all around to Krak first?

2 Likes

Oh, that will be clear when you’re in the vicinity.
The signs are large and clear.
It’s just that you can’t see them from across the park :laughing:

2 Likes

Agree. Volcano Bay’s layout is confusing and not intuitive. There is a lot of foliage. I mean, you’re not going to lose the Volcano. But you should spend time studying the map and looking at POV videos, etc. to get a sense for the park.

I would definitely hit Krakatau as early as you can. Drop your stuff quickly and tap in to reserve your spot in the virtual queue. If you arrive in the park after EE has ended, you might want to even tap in before dropping off your stuff.

4 Likes

We’re staying at Cabana Bay with expectations of waiting in the CB entrance well ahead of the 8am EE. So we’d drop stuff and head to Krak. Just seems opposite side for the entrance. Time to see the actual paths!

3 Likes

Oh that’s a great spot, the 8 person semi-private shade structure!

You’ll have to back track a little, head right and go around the Volcano. Because the path is blocked to the left until regular opening. Not sure how much of a shortcut off the path you can take though.

6 Likes

If we don’t get that spot, we need to get to the other shaded spots after EE ends. Thanks for the visual.

2 Likes

When do you get the tapu tapu bands? Scan tickets and then get a band?
Quick process? Any tips (like don’t even try them on, just grab, go get seats, then put them on)

1 Like

Yes, as soon as you tap into the park they hand one to you at the same station.
It’s really quite quick and nothing to worry about.
Just don’t drop it. Hold onto it and put it on securely when you’ve dumped your stuff and have free hands :laughing::+1:t4:

2 Likes

I’m chiming in late, but VB is my favorite park. I’ll confirm everything @bebe80 says!

I got stopped for mine in Sept. 2023. I haven’t seen anyone else try. Unless someone else gets denied I’m going to try again this Sept.! :innocent: They’ll just hold it for you at security for you to pick back up on the way out. You won’t get into any “trouble” or have to go back to the room… :grin: :innocent:

This is so important. It took me 3 - 4 visit before I felt like I knew the layout. Don’t be nervous to ask a TM!! They totally understand and are happy to help. I’ve had a couple actually walk me to where I needed to go!

I like to stay in the shaded areas near the ice cream stand & gift shop.

5 Likes

Here is the strategy we used for touring this past summer:

OPTIMAL VOLCANO BAY STRATEGY

NOTE THAT GETTING TO THE PARK FOR EARLY ENTRY IS A MUST, AND SOME OF THE NAMES OF THE SLIDES ARE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO REMEMBER!

WATER SHOES ARE NOT ALLOWED ON BODY SLIDES, BUT ARE ALLOWED ON TUBE SLIDES. THERE ARE SHOE RACKS NEAR ENTRANCES TO BODY SLIDES.

1. Do the most popular slides while they are in “Ride Now” mode in the following order:

2. Krakatau Aqua Coaster

3. Honu

4. Ko’okiri Body Plunge (for thrill seekers only).

5. Circle counterclockwise from River Village to Punga Racers. Ride a couple of times if there is no line, then do Puihi in Rainforest Village.

6. By now, the most popular slides have been experienced and the virtual queues have been activated. Get a return time for Ohyah or Ohno (whichever is sooner). While waiting, ride Kala and Tai Nui (if you are brave enough and they still show “Ride Now”) or relax in the Puka Uli Lagoon.

7. After using Ohyah or Ohno return time, backtrack clockwise to ride Maku which should still say “Ride Now”.

8. Cross the park back to River Village and ride Ika Moana. While walking, check the park’s wait time boards. If Ika Moana is “Ride Now”, reserve a time for a second ride on Krakatau Aqua Coaster, Honu, or Ko’okiri Body Plunge.

9. At this point, all park slides have been ridden except for Taniwha Tubes which can usually be experienced at any time. Virtual line waits may be in triple digits by now, so enjoy the Waturi Beach wave pool, TeAwa the Fearless River, Kopiko Wai Winder River, and any slides still showing “Ride Now” while waiting for the next return time. Also take time to explore the volcano’s caves and search for interactive TapuTapu effects.

10. Long lunch lines can happen between 11:00 and 3:00, so plan to eat early or late. Restaurants typically start shutting down 2 hours before park closing.

11. If lightning is in the area, all rides shut down. Many people leave the park at this point. If it is a short storm, then we can have the park nearly to ourselves!

12. As closing time approaches, wait times drop and virtual queues previously listed at “Full” may reopen. Reride favorites.

Try to stay past sunset to watch the volcano erupt. RETURN TAPUTAPU ON WAY TO EXIT.

8 Likes

Ha! Thanks

Hey @TwoBits , good to see ya on this side!

1 Like

Wow! That’s a very spot on & optimal plan!

I was going through the steps in my head saying, “Yeah…Ok… Yep!” :rofl:

Oh! Just a random thought for @ozziecrew555 - Punga Racers are, IMHO, a pain to find! They’re tucked away in an alcove that looks like it’s just a seating area. It’s easy to walk past it. I speak from experience!! :crazy_face: :rofl: (They are a fun four person “racing” slide. I do recommend!)

2 Likes

Where did you get this from? It’s written in Touring Plans style but I don’t think they have a touring plan for VB.

2 Likes

I come over here every so often. There just isn’t the amount of discussion on the UOR boards as there is on the WDW side.

4 Likes

I don’t remember. It may have been from the Unofficial Guide to Universal. I remember adding the hyperlinks because I generally take charge of the vacation planning for the family and wanted to give them an idea what the slides at VB were like because the only water parks everyone had been to prior were Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. I had heard that the VB slides were no joke and wanted to give them an idea what they were in for (the Kala serpentine slide brought my daughter-in-law to tears). :laughing:

6 Likes

This is all so awesome @TwoBits @darkmite2 @bebe80 @Jeff_AZ !!!
I’ve been wanting something like an ultimate TP to VB for so long!!! Time to start making sense of the names! 12 days away!
I love surprises so haven’t wanted to watch much but my gosh, need to watch videos to understand what ride is what since it’s so cool and Polynesian!!!
We’re planning to get there super early on Sunday of Memorial weekend since it’ll surely be so busy and be there all day. Lunch at the Reef probably.
Open to drink and snack suggestions!!!

4 Likes