Vive la différence!

I didn’t realize it was a thing until I joined the forum and chat. I can understand how, for example, having a three day stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge would be a nice vacation. But I’d be sitting on my balcony watching the giraffes and thinking, “I could be at Animal Kingdom right now.”

8 Likes

Don’t care about parades. At all. I just find them boring. DD loves them, so we do watch them occasionally, but it’s not something I plan for.

I also don’t use the actual touring plan feature of the site. We’ve been often enough that I know what we want to ride, which order to to it in and how long it will take.

1 Like

I don’t care about coffee machines for the coffee (whatever is fine by me, although the Joffreys is pretty terrible) … but we sometimes take food items that can be prepared with hot water (noodles, cup of soup, grits, oatmeal, etc) and that’s easier with the pod one. Plus, when we stayed at Sports, they didn’t have one at all!!

Totally agree…I have never cross the turnstiles before 11:30am at any DLR or WDW park. Still fully enjoy the parks…

This. If I was going to Orlando and NOT going to any of the WDW parks, there is no way I would pay the crazy prices for a room on property

5 Likes

Food and Wine, Flower and Garden, Eat to the Beat…all that Epcot stuff :joy:

I don’t mind about the buses even if they are not always as timely as I would like.

I…

I think that’s it? I will read and decide.

1 Like

I like this. It’s thought-provoking. Your comment on the Partners statue in particular made me remember one little thing I missed, that I thought was important, that I don’t think many people do, or think of, or even know of.

I’ve been to WDW a few times, to DLP, and, just once, to DLR in Anaheim. I drove down from Phoenix and stayed three days: one day for DL, one for DCA, and one to see LA. Hiked up to the Hollywood sign, walked outside the real GCT, drove through Bel Air, that sort of thing.

And then, well, if you’ve put up with the traffic and got that far, why not carry on, just a little bit? So you carry on north out of the centre of LA (thankfully), into Glendale, and after not very long you find a place that, against the backdrop of the city, is lovely and green, and has a set of tall, imposing wrought iron gates.

You drive in, and somewhat hopefully ask the security guards where to find what you are looking for. They won’t tell you of course, their job is to protect this peaceful place, not to encourage errant tourists. But they let you enter, and you persevere, using what information you have been able to locate to narrow down the search for your goal.

Eventually, almost by chance, you find a place that looks like it could be right. You park the car and continue on foot, admiring the views out over the city, the impressive mountain vistas, but keeping one eye out; you are very close now. In fact, soon you are upon it.

In a small, shady corner, in a tiny patch of land secured by a gate far smaller than any at the World that bears his name, marked by a simple Little Mermaid so forlorn and an unassuming bronze plaque so like many others, rests Walter Elias Disney.

That place is a world away from what so many people travel to Disney parks the world over to see. So insignificant, so remote, so unassuming. But that place, that is what matters, to me.

8 Likes

My problem with WS is that from were I live (a not so central city in Brazil), getting to Orlando is more difficult and about the same price as getting to most countries on WS (expect for Norway, Morroco, China and Japan, which are also the WS countries I haven’t been to yet), so WS ends up being a bit pointless. I travel to Orlando to visit fantastical places (like Fantasyland, SWGE, Pandora and WWoHP), to see European and North American culture is easier and better to travel directly there.

Of course, if WS was just a short domestic flight away of if it contained countries that are harder to get from where I am (like Australia, Nigeria, Russia) I would probably be very into it.

Don’t care about:

1. Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van - I do not mind the buses, at all. I stayed at Pop during my last visit almost 3 years ago and sure we had some crowds and waits, but I didn’t find it problematic or worth paying for alternative transportation.
  2. Fancy Magic Bands - Yes, of course they’re cute! But my plain colored one does exactly the same thing and it’s no extra charge.
  3. Original Dole Whips - not a pineapple fan and just not interested. (However if I pass by the lemon or lime one at the right time, it’s on!)
  4. Scheduling toilet breaks into my TP - While I do intend to follow my touring plan, it’s more of a guide. I do not take it so seriously that I cannot stop and take a break at any time throughout my day. I’m very much a planner, but planning down to bathroom breaks? No thanks!

Edited to add:
5) Pin trading - don’t get the appeal

2 Likes

Hmmm, well thought out. For the most part at least.

Still struggling with whether you were attempting to be humorous or meant to be rude.

I love that we bought DVC, it’s served my family well even though we go far less frequently than you.

Yet somehow it’s OK for you to castigate us all as snobs and rolling in money. Someone who flies business class / upper class about six times in three years is not short of a penny or two Matthew.

But hey! At least we have a sub-forum so we don’t need to bore you further. Oddly enough, if we were talking about points it was usually to help other people, answering their questions. Like people have tried to help you.

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Things I see discussed a lot that I don’t care about

1. Memory Maker
  2. Character Meals
  3. Character Meet - unless it’s a walk up
  4. Staking out spots for parades and fireworks
  5. Ordering groceries for room

Edited to add DinIng Plan.

Michigan would like to ever so politely asked their neighbors to the north and east the same question and also tack on Tim Hortons.

My own do-not-care list:
Resort amenities (I don’t spend enough time there. I’m there for the parks.)
Merch
M&G with long lines
Pin trading

I tried to reply to this at weekend and the forum wouldn’t let me, so let’s try again.

I don’t care about coffee at all - not in the parks, not in my room.
Parades
Pin trading
Paid extras - no dessert parties, DAH/EMM, tours etc.
Autographs - we do meet some characters and I like the pics but I don’t need an autograph.
Dole Whip - the original pineapple one anyway. I did enjoy the Peter Pan float and am still sad about not getting the Redd’s Revenge.
HDDR - no thank you, it looks awful to me.
Epcot festivals.
Renting DVC points - seems like it would be a massive hassle for 2 weeks. I assume I’d need to do a split stay, maybe several splits. Which leads me to…
Split stays - I like to settle in to a room, I don’t want to be there 3 days and then have to move.
Which shoes to wear - I never imagined this could generate so much discussion, I must be very lucky to be able to wear a cheap pair of flip flops for 2 weeks with no issues.
Avoiding bag check - it really doesn’t take that long!

There were only 3 things on it until I read the whole thread :joy:

6 Likes

Agreed on split stays - don’t want anything to do with that.

5 Likes

From a philosophical perspective, I’d say that the things I don’t care about are things I don’t THINK about, and so probably wouldn’t end up on this list.

Having said that, there are things that haven’t really interested me in the past, or at least, I haven’t cared enough to bother doing them. And then there are things I care a great deal about because I would go out of my way to avoid them. You know…it is like the whole opposite of love isn’t hate, it is apathy…because in order to HATE you have to CARE in some fashion of the other.

So, the things that I see others do that I just not only have no interest in doing, but might even go out of my way to avoid?

• Meet and Greets
  • Large crowds (as opposed to long lines…not the same thing)
  • The Tiki Room
  • Country Bear Jamboree

And some things that I’m more apathetic than anything…meaning, I don’t really care whether I do them or not. It isn’t that I necessarily avoid them, just don’t care one way or the other:

• Fireworks
  • Parades
  • Eating at Table Service eateries (This might change when we focus more on this in December 2020, though)
  • Various rides such as IASW, Figment, JC, etc.
  • Certain shows, like Hall of Presidents

And then there are the things that I basically consider must-dos:

• The Mountains
  • Tomorrowland in general
  • HM, PotC, ToT, RnRC, ST, Soarin’, TT
  • Disney Springs

This list is certainly not all-encompassing.

I wonder what is it that makes you avoid these two?

We have never done either and I was thinking to give it a try on the next trip.

Because I’ve done them! In particular, the Tiki Room is just so incredibly stupid and irritating. Nothing about it is enjoyable. Our last trip, it had been years since we had done it and thought maybe that the expanse of time had muddied our impressions and doing it again as adults with kids we would gain a new appreciation for it. I mean, after all, it a Disney “classic” attraction. Some people apparently must like it, otherwise it wouldn’t have lasted this long.

So we went in. Doors closed. Show started. Less than 5 minutes in we couldn’t take it any longer and left during the show.

But I can’t say we are apathetic about it. We LOVE to make fun of it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

All right. Still going to try them. Worst case - we will make fun of it. :blush:

2 Likes

I love it! Love the attraction, love the song, love the Hilary Duff version from Disneymania that they (used to?) play on the boat over to HDDR. It’s fun :blush: