“Value” of buying in

Oh also I think 125 is the minimum for new owners, and to get blue card for add-on owners who are not already with a blue card. But if you already own you can buy smaller number of points - pick your poison. If you already own, too, they will also match your use year vs trying to find one on the resale market that matches and meets all of your other criteria.

1 Like

One alternative to becoming a DVC owner, might be to just become annual pass holders (assuming they are on sale again). Tickets never get discounted, but rooms do. There always seems to be a promo for Disney hotels or off property. You can pick and choose the cheapest hotel rates knowing you have the park tickets already paid for. Of course, you’d have to make multiple trips per year. How awful. Could be interesting hearing from annual pass holders on this

I was just looking yesterday, at the 35% off rooms for AP holders b/c my DH doesn’t want to use the gult of points we have (banging my head on wall now). I look at all the discounts sometimes the military discount is better. Right now there isn’t a lot of availability of rooms. I just wanted to go for a few nights… I’ll keep pressuring my DH shhhhhh!

I believe that offer was already made. I got the chance to extend back in 2012 (I think) and declined.

1 Like

Yes, but come expiry they are going to have to do something. It is unlikely they will start all over and extremely unlikely they will convert to hotel — since their current whackadoo plan is to convert some hotel to DVC (at GF).

I (and many who are far more in the know than I) expect they will make a similar - albeit far more expensive offer than you got in the past - to current owners so they are not stuck with a glut of DVC to sell from scratch. Buying an extended contract now means you eliminate the need to do that later. If you buy a 2042 now and extend later, your cost to extend will equate to at least some of the gap between direct and resale at today’s prices.

Does anyone know what the current guesses are on what DVC will set as the price per point to extend in the future? I know it is discussed a lot and I know it’s pure guesswork, but having real numbers to work with would make it easier to make my point.

I guess I can just make up some numbers.

There is currently on the resale market an OKW contract that is listed at $127/point, for 150 points. That equates to a total purchase price (before fees and closing and dues) of $19,050. That will expire in 2042.

Meanwhile I could buy 150 direct points from DVC at $165/point for 150 points, for a total purchase price (before fees and closing and dues) of $24,750. This will expire in 2057

Let’s say that it’s 2032 when DVC decides to make an offer to extend and at that time they offer current owners the low low price of $40/point (which is not unlikely since back in 2007 it was $15-25 – i just looked it up). That means in 2032 I will have to pay DVC an additional $6000 to extend my 2042 expiry. Add that to my current cost to buy resale and we’ve got a total purchase price of 25,050, just slightly more than if I buy direct today and get that extension rolled into the current price and be done with it.

It will probably involve hooting and shrieking.

1 Like

Yes but what is a discounted price at Poly, BW, or YC these days? It used to be under $300 I thought a good price was low 400s now?

:grimacing: Sorry if I poked you one too many times about what makes a snack a snack. I was just looking for expert advice.

3 Likes

If you have Riviera resale points you can ONLY stay at Riviera. So it’s saying you can’t book at BCV with Riviera resale points or any future resort’s resale points

1 Like

Which is stinky.

They’ll offer people the chance to buy more points with the later expiry date.

No one knows exactly what they’ll do. BUT the OKW extension offer was a catastrophic failure. DVC expected everyone would jump at the offer.

Some people paid and got the extension. Most people did not extend. They were supposed to sign a “quit claim” document, accepting that their points would expire in 2042. However some people didn’t sign anything. So technically they haven’t waived their right, therefore they will still own points despite not having paid extra.

Neither can they declare certain buildings as regular resort rooms because people own part of a specific unit of the resort that is recorded in the deeds. Most likely Disney will end up owning all those points and selling the rooms direct.

look at you doing math!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Someone somewhere has a bunch of stats to show inflation trends on rentals, MF, etc. but for my spreadsheets I’ve gone with the simple no inflation calculation. Essentially I’m assuming that everything will more or less increase at the same rate over time.

Interesting though- different calculations but same bottom line. I break ahead on trip 7, 8 or 9 depending on cost (9 being direct of course)