“Value” of buying in

crap. Was hoping it was Rivera so I could just scoff and be “bah, doesn’t apply unless you are looking at Rivera!” but that’s not it.

Someone else will have to chime in with more specifics, cause I’m not confident enough in any answer I’d give.

It likely just means “people who aren’t part of DVC can’t make the reservations to these rooms”.

1 Like

Well the rule now is that if you buy resale at any property built before Riviera you can only use your points at those properties built before Riviera. So if you buy Beach Club resale, you cannot use those at Riviera or any future properties. If you buy Riviera resale, you can only use your points at Riviera.

1 Like

You have to buy direct to use your points at Riviera.

2 Likes

That’s really impressive compared to what I’ve heard/read. I know how often you’ve gone these last three years because you’ve taken us with you every time. And I think you said your first purchase was direct? For 75 or 100 points? And did you buy at SSR? Was your second contract also direct? And how many points/which property then?

1 Like

Right, but that being on the Beach Club thing seems weird as if you bought resale or direct, that shouldn’t apply to beach club?

Ugh, why did Disney have to f it all up with Riveria?

That’s kinda stinky.

It does, though. You can’t use resold BC points at all properties anymore. Only those built prior to Riviera.

@eeeevah Your method (in first post) is exactly how I calculated the cost. I know there is some missed opportunity cost with it, but my two contracts were somewhere around $13,000 total, so there can’t be that much missed opportunity? And it makes me happy. And I know I can sell it. Some people have been selling for more than they paid! I’m certainly not counting on that, but knowing I can off-load the contracts if I need to or want to played a significant role in my decision to buy.

1 Like

That doesn’t bother me about Riviera, but it does bother me thinking about the new DLR DVC resort. However, I believe some of the points rental places will do a points exchange with you for stays at Riviera (and presumably any other new resort). I’m not exactly sure how it works or if it’s economical. I’ve heard you can also exchange your points to stay at non-DVC resorts at WDW.

1 Like

mmm Nope. I’ve done some quiet-trips too. :wink: Just got back from one actually.

And yes, the first purchase was for 75 points and direct. Copper Creek (cause…that’s all they kinda alluded was available, even though that wasn’t true at all). Buying direct got me a few hundred off my annual pass as well as allows all the other benefits a blue-card gets ya. Which is nice. Most of it overlaps with the Annual Pass though, so it’s sorta disappointing. Though I have run into a few situations where the DVC discount is accepted but the AP One wasn’t.

Second contract is resale for BLT for 100 points.

It’s. Still. Not. Enough! MOOOOARR I MUST HAVE MOOOOOAR!!!

To put it in perspective, in 2018, a trip to BLT was using DVC rented points for theme park view and it was roughly $4K.

That cost was roughly half of what my CC contract was. Now granted, it would take 2 use-years of points to be able to repeat that exact stay using my CC contract of 75 points, so that needs to be taken into account. But all I would have had to do is stay at BLT, with a theme park view, twice in 3 years (thanks to the bank/borrow feature and the fact that they gave me a loaded contract). I ended up not doing that but instead spreading it around and staying in other rooms, but that would have been the most direct way.

I mean, if you can break even in 3-4 stays within 40 YEARS…I have a hard time saying it’s not worth it.

Correct, but if i’m looking to stay at BC, ALL points are useable there is my understanding. So the BC chart having the disclaimer doesn’t make sense to me? Riveria having it would though.

Like I said, this is why I’m not confident in any answer I give.

Wait… what?!? You don’t always let us tag along?

BTW: I think it’s amazing that you’ve recouped your DVC money already. The reason I was convince to buy in was b/c I calculated that I had already paid for it and if I continued on my current path I would pay for it again in 1-2 years so… DVC owner now :wink:

1 Like

Not if you purchased Riviera resale. Riviera points (and presumably future new properties) purchased resale can only be used at the property for which they were acquired.

And I can’t believe you were just down there!! Did we overlap at all? Were you that blur I thought I caught out of the corner of my eye?!

Thanks. Now I just have to convince my husband!!

1 Like

…stupid riveria…

The Dumb™ around here got RRRRREAL bad for a bit. I needed to unplug else I was going to just go off on several people. And I didn’t want it bleeding into my thread like it tends to do from time to time. I’m honestly not sure I want to continue them because some people around here just ruin the fun of it.

Maybe? Dunno. You’re welcome for the amazing weather though. :smile:

2 Likes

:sob: Yours are always so much fun… cheeky even (best part), but as the owner they seem like a lot to keep up w/. I don’t get how anyone does it in real time.

2 Likes

:cry: I hope you change your mind! (And secretly hope it’s not me that’s part of the problem?! :grimacing:)

3 Likes

I created for myself this fancy spreadsheet (and by fancy, I just mean plain and boring) that calculates the average cost of trips if i buy versus rent, taking into account inflation on the Annual dues versus inflation on renting points.

Basically, if I buy 100 pts at Boardwalk for the going rate, then I need to take at least 7 trips before I would break even with the expected cost to rent. After that, additional trips are effectively “free” by comparison.

The big question is what that inflation actually is. I used 5% in both cases, although, that might not be accurate. Cost to rent points has jumped from about $14/pt in 2017 to $20/pt in 2021. This is closer to an 8% inflation rate. At that inflation rate, then I would need to take at least 5 trips to break even, and then every trip after 5 becomes effectively “free”. (Cost of stay only, of course.)

1 Like

Buuuut Publically you hope you are the problem? :rofl: You’re fine. But we’ll see. It’s just a few people who need to come into a thread and crap all over it cause they can’t stand not being the center of attention or get offended cause I don’t treat their input with the reverence they feel it deserves.

Like I’m doing here. Now. In this thread. (sorry @eeeevah)

let’s get back on topic :slight_smile:

The DVC site now says you need a minimum of 125 points? I thought the minimum was 100. Did it go up again?

4 Likes

I have no pride of ownership. Feel free to steal my thread thunder any day. (But can we make “thread thunder” a thing?)

And yeah… I was told 125 was the minimum. With APs not being offered and the additional “perks” like shopping and dining discounts not guaranteed, I’m hard pressed to think it’s worth paying a 30-40% premium and at that amount of points to buy direct. I emailed the sales consultant this exact thing two days ago and haven’t gotten a response back yet. Will keep you all updated.

2 Likes

Really depends on the resort you’re looking at. Because of how high the resale market is right now, the gap is much more narrow right now for OKW and SS and with OKW being a 2057 expiry even more so since they will offer 2042 contract holders something to extend to 2057 at some point down the road, so factor that in and your almost on the money. I would never buy direct for the blue card - that stuff is not guaranteed at all and doesn’t lure me in the slightest - but to get points now, matched to my use year, for 15 years longer vs dicking around with the whole ROFR process (and maybe losing, and starting all over) knowing if I buy a 2042 I’ll have to pay to extend eventually anyway, it’s just about worth it.

1 Like