Universal rides

The buzz light year space ranger thing.

MiB has some more moderate spinning at the end very briefly… otherwise, those rides are pretty much the same.

1 Like

Wow thanks a lot guys! I didn’t know the ranking of these rides propensity to get people sick, in WDW we avoided the few rides that just go around in place like Dumbo the Flying Elephant for those reasons. My wife is a bit prone to motion sickness and I will share all these info with her, I guess Forbidden Journey seems to be the biggest culprit.

@DDP hi have you tried any motion sickness watches. i have used the reliefband 2.0 from amazon and it works great for me. maybe sometghing you can look into.

Motion sickness watches, what are those? What do they do? Monitor that you are about to puke?

2 Likes

My understanding is that they have to do with the acupressure points that help relieve nausea from motion sickness and morning sickness. They send some kind of an electrical pulse to activate those acupressure points, I think. I have never used it myself, but have heard reviews from multiple people that it works very well.

Unless there are real test on those products they could be just reviews based on the placebo effect, tests have shown that acupuncture and acupressure are sudo sciences with not real medical benefits to the individual, but this is a conversation for another forum.

We have actually had this exact same conversation on this forum and I have read studies that show that acupuncture and acupressure DO help and it is not just placebo, so, as is usual with the medical community, everything is proven until it is disproven. And vice versa. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Acupuncture did nothing for my migraines, but some of the points used are for the stomach/digestive system and it did cure my IBS. Well I say cure, it’s been 10 months with no symptoms. I’m sure it will return. So despite not believing in it, it has actually worked, though not for what I went for!

1 Like

rebeecky, Whatever you have read I’m not sure that it took into consideration the double-blind scientific testing that has been done on the subject, to prove that those are as effective as checking your horoscope.

The everything is proven until disproven is not a medical community thing, neither is things shouldn’t be consider until proven, which I think is what you meant to say. It is a shared scientific approach of only considering things once there are sufficient evidence for them to be a possibility.

Far from making it a rigid closed minded approach, is a flexible methodology that avoid wasting time and money by having a society that choose to believe based on the you never know approach.

Nope, I said exactly what I meant to say!

Well rebeecky if that was what you meant I think you omitted an step, things are first considered plausible based on evidences that supports it, then goes into the step you mentioned, things will continue to be consider possible until new evidence to the contrary is discovered, disproving the previous position. That methodology has so far proven to be the more open, honest and robust approach that a society can have when it comes to knowledge.

See, this is what I’m saying. It’s proven until it’s disproven. I guess we don’t disagree after all!

In any event, I won’t go off on any further of a tangent, but will say that if someone gets relief from acupuncture or acupressure, that’s great for them. If someone else feels that it’s total rubbish, they certainly shouldn’t waste their money on it.

I have sea bands that I plan on taking. I’ve had success with them in this past, but I was trying to avoid getting into that situation to begin with. Thanks everyone for your comments.

1 Like

rebeecky, the point I’m trying to make is actually the opposite, we shouldn’t choose to believe what we feel is right because we think or “feel” that it makes us feel better.

Double-blind control studies have already been done many times over for all those sudo sciences, and other “supernatural” beliefs.

Things work or they don’t. Personal experiences are not a reliable method to know if something is true. If a belief that can be easily proven to be false is shared by a single individual, that person may be a little nutty. If the same belief is shared by a group they may be in a cult, but if the same easily falsifiable and irrational belief is shared by a substantial geographical area, it will automatically become an acceptable proposition. The popularly of a belief has been proven througout history to be an unreliable method to conclude if something is true.

Sorry to sound preachy, but the end result is that by prolonging the lifespan of these irrationally held beliefs, we are passing them to our future generations, but in the meantime these ideas keep taking intellectual space, resources and time from our society.

I’ve pointed it out before…but it IS true that double-blind studies have proven that sea-bands and similar accupressure techniques for nausea work no better than a placebo.

BUT it is important to also realize that doesn’t mean they don’t do any good, either. Because placebos sometimes do good. Why? Because sometimes it is the mental belief that someone is helping that actually makes you feel better. Sea-bands can act as a distraction to mentally take your mind/focus off the things that would make you motion sick.

So, yes…sea bands don’t “really” work…but they make you THINK they work, which is better than nothing at all. (Because a placebo is sometimes better than nothing at all!)

Now, having said that, I haven’t found any studies looking at the things that actually do electrical stimulation. I suspect it simply creates a similar placebo effect, but honestly I have no idea with any certainty. As such, if someone wants to use it and they THINK it is working for them, fine.

There have been plenty of double-blind studies that show the legitimate effectiveness of Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) and Bonine (Meclizine). They work to actually PREVENT motion sickness, not just treat it after the fact. Other treatments, such as ginger, alleviate the symptoms of motion sickness, but don’t technically prevent it. In the end, however, it works out to the same thing for most people.

2 Likes

ryan1, I’m with you on the placebo effect. But these are usually temporarily effects, we are yet to fully understand it, but is a matter of time before we do.

You are right many things have been proven to work. I didn’t know about those substances, I’ll look into it for my wife, thanks.

Btw you may want to read my previous post again, I corrected a bunch of grammatical errors :grinning:

If it works, it works. Some people just need something to latch onto to trick their bodies into doing what they want. :slight_smile:

snow56border but this can be achieve without “tricking” your body, through rationally thinking on the issue and taking proven steps to deal with it

It is funny. I guess I never realized there are two separate tracks since we’ve always gone when crowds are very low and they are only running one track!

1 Like

I for sure agree. But if someone finds a low cost snake oil remedy that’s little inconvenience to use… I won’t ruin it for them.