Universal Orlando News & Planning Thread

Water Taxis will be temporarily unavailable from December 1 through December 7, 2022, due to dock renovation.

3 Likes

Thanks! That helps me figure out my travel plans the morning I’m going to The Kitchen. I think I’ll just Uber there this time!

1 Like

That’s over my entire trip. I was so looking forward to riding them, especially with my ankle not yet healed.

3 Likes

Oh no! I’m sorry :cry:

1 Like

Finally found out this is the official OIM mascot. Feels a little forced, but "Hey… Why not?!? " I love characters!

2 Likes

It’s Official! Universal’s Great Movie Escape will open Dec. 9, 2022!

It’s $49.99 / person! I went through the booking process. You book for either before 6pm or after 6pm and then are given more specific choices. For two people, with tax and everything, it was $106.48

7 Likes

Very cool. I can’t wait to hear what you think.

This is an escape room concept I might actually enjoy. Cool!

I may have mislead you! I went through the process, but didn’t actually purchase. It’s not something my wife would want to do. I worked at an escape room place in 2021 for the summer. (That where a chunk of my Universal trip funds came from.) They’re a lot of fun - if they are done well.

This looks like it is going to have a high production value. My only concern will be the solutions being posted online. With a smaller escape room business, it’s not someone people vlog about. Someone out there is going to “need” content about this and I bet they do a walk-thru.

3 Likes

Aw, boo :-1:t3::rofl::rofl:

Can’t wait to do the BTTF one though. It’ll be great.
I will actively avoid spoilers.

1 Like

If I was going solo I’d organize an Escape Room Meet-up with the OIM people…maybe February??? :thinking:

3 Likes

A bit pricey, but we’ll still plan to do it when we are there in May. There will be 8 of us, though. :confused:

1 Like

In my experience working escape rooms, you should break it up into two groups of four people. Eight people doing an escape room is too many. I recommend no more than 5. Your ideal group is 4 people.

Maybe one group can do JP and the other BttF?

3 Likes

I wonder how this will be for younger kids. Too hard for a 6 and 8 year old?

I agree, seems a bit pricey but then I have no idea of how much a regular escape room would cost. Never have done one.

IME - Escape Rooms are for ages 12 & up. Younger kids don’t have the attention span and get too frustrated when they don’t progress quickly. Then you are stuck in a small area with a kid that is fussy while you are trying to solve puzzles within countdown.

1 Like

I just noticed that you can book a “private” experience for $300 for up to 8 people, so that would shave $100 off the total cost to do it that way.

4 Likes

I don’t want to be a “know-it-all”, but I promise you putting 8 people in one escape room is going to make at least three of them miserable.

There will be in-fighting and someone with “shut down” when they don’t feel heard. You’ll have a younger person sitting on the floor bored and needing attention…

I saw it with almost every group of 6+ that came into my facility.

It’s really not a large group activity like laser tag, mini-golf or go-karts

2 Likes

It appears Universal will put 8 people in the room, whether you have 8 or not.

I’ve had conversations with others who have done them, and they said they are more enjoyable with larger groups than smaller groups…so it sounds like it will likely depend on the room design. I’ve personally never done one.

3 Likes

So paying $50 doesn’t get you your own room? You need to share or pay extra to get a private experience?

1 Like