Universal Orlando News & Planning Thread

This is an escape room concept I might actually enjoy. Cool!

I may have mislead you! I went through the process, but didnā€™t actually purchase. Itā€™s not something my wife would want to do. I worked at an escape room place in 2021 for the summer. (That where a chunk of my Universal trip funds came from.) Theyā€™re a lot of fun - if they are done well.

This looks like it is going to have a high production value. My only concern will be the solutions being posted online. With a smaller escape room business, itā€™s not someone people vlog about. Someone out there is going to ā€œneedā€ content about this and I bet they do a walk-thru.

3 Likes

Aw, boo :-1:t3::rofl::rofl:

Canā€™t wait to do the BTTF one though. Itā€™ll be great.
I will actively avoid spoilers.

1 Like

If I was going solo Iā€™d organize an Escape Room Meet-up with the OIM peopleā€¦maybe February??? :thinking:

3 Likes

A bit pricey, but weā€™ll still plan to do it when we are there in May. There will be 8 of us, though. :confused:

1 Like

In my experience working escape rooms, you should break it up into two groups of four people. Eight people doing an escape room is too many. I recommend no more than 5. Your ideal group is 4 people.

Maybe one group can do JP and the other BttF?

3 Likes

I wonder how this will be for younger kids. Too hard for a 6 and 8 year old?

I agree, seems a bit pricey but then I have no idea of how much a regular escape room would cost. Never have done one.

IME - Escape Rooms are for ages 12 & up. Younger kids donā€™t have the attention span and get too frustrated when they donā€™t progress quickly. Then you are stuck in a small area with a kid that is fussy while you are trying to solve puzzles within countdown.

1 Like

I just noticed that you can book a ā€œprivateā€ experience for $300 for up to 8 people, so that would shave $100 off the total cost to do it that way.

4 Likes

I donā€™t want to be a ā€œknow-it-allā€, but I promise you putting 8 people in one escape room is going to make at least three of them miserable.

There will be in-fighting and someone with ā€œshut downā€ when they donā€™t feel heard. Youā€™ll have a younger person sitting on the floor bored and needing attentionā€¦

I saw it with almost every group of 6+ that came into my facility.

Itā€™s really not a large group activity like laser tag, mini-golf or go-karts

2 Likes

It appears Universal will put 8 people in the room, whether you have 8 or not.

Iā€™ve had conversations with others who have done them, and they said they are more enjoyable with larger groups than smaller groupsā€¦so it sounds like it will likely depend on the room design. Iā€™ve personally never done one.

3 Likes

So paying $50 doesnā€™t get you your own room? You need to share or pay extra to get a private experience?

1 Like

$50 per person, but they will put you in the room with other folks. But if you pay $300, you have have the room for your own group up to 8. Thatā€™s my understanding so far.

2 Likes

I just saw this posted:

There are two adventures, Jurassic World: Escape and Back to the Future: OUTATIME, and they each have eight rooms. Solutions are randomized, customized based on party size, and adjust based on skill level.

Maybe that will make it a better experience!

5 Likes

Thatā€™s kind of coolā€¦ā€œrandomizedā€ and ā€œcustomizedā€. They seem to have thought through this.

3 Likes

Ok, thatā€™s really disappointing :-1:t3::frowning:

I guess I will have to try and justify $300 for our family of 4 because I donā€™t want to have to share the experience/glory with strangers. That sucks.

4 Likes

Really. Iā€™m not sure I want to be stuck with MY family in one of these rooms much less anyone elseā€™s :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah with the two of us that means $150 per person. I would most likely be the one solving and DH would try to be helpful but anyone who doesnā€™t know him could easily thing heā€™s not smart or not trying and just take over the room. I hope that made sense. Putting you with other people is just plain dumb unless it was an option for those who do want to work with strangers. But making a group of 2 pay $100 extra per person is worthy of Chapek. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I agree too - my 8yo has been itching to do one locally and I say no. I thought this theming might be better but it gives me a good excuse to say no. After all, I asked someone who worked in one.

3 Likes